CONFIRMED BUG in Focus (and other WP7?) 3G connectivity lost with certain Wifi SSIDs

r590

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've spent the past 2 weeks trying to figure out why my Focus wasn't able to access the 3G network. The symptoms are as follows: The first time the device was turned on (or immediately after a factory reset via the 'Reset my phone' option), it could connect to 3g. After a while, after it was turned off and then turned on again, it would no longer display the 3g icon, and no amount of powering down, removing battery, switching SIM cards, removing and re-enabling the data plan, etc would let it connect to 3g. I went to multiple ATT stores and every representative was dumbfounded. Hours on the phone with technical support was also unable to find the problem. I obtained a replacement phone and the results were the identical. I noticed that the Wifi was also exhibiting a weird problem - it would never remember the password, so I would have to type the password each time I wanted to connect to my home wifi.

After much frustration I tried repeatedly wiping the phone, powering it down, powering it back up, and checking if the 3g connected. Eventually I realized the 3g would "leave" after I connected it to my Wifi. This was repeatable and the only way to go back to 3g was the "Reset my phone" option. Additionally, if I never connected to Wifi, the 3g would continue working for days. To troubleshoot further, I renamed the ssid on my router from "|2 4 ( |-| M 4 |\| | |\| 0 |= |" (without quotes) to "test". After doing this, wiping the device, and connecting to Wifi, the 3g continued to stay connected! This leads me to believe there is a serious bug with that can be exposed with simply a SSID name.

Would anyone care to test this on their phone/router to confirm my findings?

El Conquistador

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere about this problem... (I'll try to find the link and post it here). You're using non-alphanumeric characters in your SID name which is the cause of this. Change your SID name to numbers and letters only to fix this.

Hope this helps.

El

spitothec

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
If I'm translating correctly from my nerd days, his SSID reads R A C H M A N I N O F I which would leave me to believe his name is Rachman and it's the WiFi connection in his office.. but I haven't played CounterStrike in a long time so that might be off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3