high wifi latency

tonyb81#WP

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
My wifi is extremely slow. I have 3 other smartphones that I tested on my wifi connection that all work fine, except for my Focus. I tried it out on 5 other wifi connections outside of my house and all speed tests show high ping times. browsing on 3g is faster. Here is my connundrum, I flashed the chevronwp7.updater 2 days before this problem started to happen. I doubt flashing the nodo update caused it cause for the 2 days with it prior my wifi was perfectly fine. If any of you were in my shoes would you try to send it to att to get it replaced with another focus.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will replace a flashed phone. Maybe you can sneak it past them... I would scour the internet to find a fix to restore it to factory settings before trying to send it back to ATT.

tonyb81#WP

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
can anyone with a focus turn on their wifi and run a speed test at this link and tell me how many ms your ping times are?

iPhone speedtest

I go on this page with my iphone or inpsire on my wifi and i get 30-40ms, on my focus i get 700-1000ms.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting 325-1292ms latency. The average was about 1000ms. What exactly does this mean though? I mean I don't think my phone is laggy or slow going to websites, so I'm not sure what this test accomplishes.

tonyb81#WP

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting 325-1292ms latency. The average was about 1000ms. What exactly does this mean though? I mean I don't think my phone is laggy or slow going to websites, so I'm not sure what this test accomplishes.

I stumbled upon this site a week ago running a speed test i noticed that the ping times were much higher on my wifi connection *about the same results as you* compared to my 3g connection *200-300ms*. My wifi browsing was always faster than my 3g so I couldn't understand why this one speed test showed high ping times. So I thought there could have been something wrong with my wifi in my house, which wasn't the case cause other phones i've tested on the site got better pings times. So I wanted to have someone else with a focus try to see if they got the same results so I could try to figure out where the problem lies.

The odd thing is that there is a topic on a microsoft support site with many other people experiencing the same thing where there wifi speed tests have higher ping times than 3g.

Another funny thing is that if you plug your phone into a usb port on your pc and run the speed test your ping times are alot lower.

I can't explain why only my windows phone would have crazy high ping times compared to everything else, it doesn't affect browsing speeds though so atleast its not a bad thing. I just wanted other people to try this just to make sure it wasn't a problem with my phone.

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Do you know if it's specific to the Samsung Focus or if this is an issue with all WP7 phones? I'd be curious if the HTC and LG phones have the same issue.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just ran it quick on my Quantum using WiFi and scored poorly with ~450kbps. This is while streaming Netflix (wife) and YouTube (daughter), so I better try again later too.

Sent from my flippin' sweet Quantum using Board Express

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I stumbled upon this site a week ago running a speed test i noticed that the ping times were much higher on my wifi connection *about the same results as you* compared to my 3g connection *200-300ms*. My wifi browsing was always faster than my 3g so I couldn't understand why this one speed test showed high ping times. So I thought there could have been something wrong with my wifi in my house, which wasn't the case cause other phones i've tested on the site got better pings times. So I wanted to have someone else with a focus try to see if they got the same results so I could try to figure out where the problem lies.

The odd thing is that there is a topic on a microsoft support site with many other people experiencing the same thing where there wifi speed tests have higher ping times than 3g.

Another funny thing is that if you plug your phone into a usb port on your pc and run the speed test your ping times are alot lower.

I can't explain why only my windows phone would have crazy high ping times compared to everything else, it doesn't affect browsing speeds though so atleast its not a bad thing. I just wanted other people to try this just to make sure it wasn't a problem with my phone.

Perhaps when the Focus is charging, wifi profile changes to max performance and when on battery, wifi profile changes to max battery life.

My Nokia N900 has settings for wifi transmission power (10mW, 100 mW) and power saving (On - maximum, On - intermediate, Off). Maybe the Focus (and/or WP7) has this capability as well.

Michael.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte