New to WP7, About to get Focus

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
i am familiar with WP 6.5 but not with 7, and i would like to know how the app situation is with this OS
As of this moment, i have a Palm Pre Plus, and there are literally 5,000 apps in the app catalog
Thanks
-furygoalbrtis39

Last edited:

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Well there are literally 11,000 apps in the windows phone marketplace, and it is growing at a pretty rapid pace. I think you will be pleasantly suprised making the switch from Palm to Windows Phone.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You'll be happy with the apps on wp7. I've used a iPhone, Android phone, and a WP7. I say after about 100 apps or so, the quality goes down. I'm sure you find the apps u need, minus IM apps.

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just prepare yourself for the loss of functionality. Windows Mobile was a very mature, and very optimizable, feature rich platform. Windows Phone is very streamlined, beautifully designed and intuitive to use. However, its a newer OS so certain things are inevitably missing as of now.

The Mango update is bringing quite a few things I was hoping for in Autumn (sockets support for things like Instant Messengers ect, multitasking, quick resuming of apps....they will announce more of the consumer end of things at a conference in Fall), but you will probably never see as much functionality as you have been accustomed.

That being said, is it worth it? Yes. Unless you absolutely need certain things (like real tethering......the focus can usb tether through a dial up, but its through an AT&T connection and will be easily charged to your account if they catch you). I came from Android which, is actually a lot like WinMobile. I miss things, but I wouldn't go back for anything.

The app situation is great. Most everything you need is there, with some more 'official' apps (like New York Times) coming soon. Developers and companies alike have realized windows phone is here to stay, and is a surprisingly nice platform to develop for, and the marketplace is growing pretty rapidly.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I keep telling people. That Android is pretty much WM except faster and crisper. But has a ton of functionality.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I keep telling people. That Android is pretty much WM except faster and crisper. But has a ton of functionality.

Sent from my Samsung Captivate using TapaTalk

Android is definitely the new Windows Mobile. Microsoft learned from their mistake, and Android is ignoring it. Fragmentation, laggy software with OEM's having free reign over both hardware and software modifications, barely tested drivers ect only leads to consumer headaches in the end. Sure its highly functional, but its a mess, and feels like a bunch of stuff thrown together.

I am a tech freak, and did enjoy the ability to tinker with my phones over the years, but honestly in the end, I just want a phone that works, is satisfying to use, feels like everything is part of one fluid system, and is designed well. Wp7 is all of that and then some, and will only gain in functionality from here.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
my favorite os has to be wp7. it does need a few things, but this os is so fresh and the tiles are awesome.

i was never into all the background customizations, hacking and everything else like it. so maybe that's why i loved iOS in the beginning and love wp7 so much now.

coming from a Pre with the limited amount of apps that they have, you'll be in heaven with wp7.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
You can go to a site like www.wp7applist.com and have a look around. I am an app junkie with more than 200 apps/games downloaded and about 150 currently installed. Some of the necessary API's to make great apps and current apps more functional won't be released by Microsoft till the fall, but the current batch is pretty good and getting better every day. Most everything you want/need is free or 0.99, with a rare 1.99, but usually worth it. Most developers are constantly reacting to feedback and trying to make their apps better. Turning into a really good developer community, more open and responsive than Windows Mobile.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Just prepare yourself for the loss of functionality. Windows Mobile was a very mature, and very optimizable, feature rich platform. Windows Phone is very streamlined, beautifully designed and intuitive to use. However, its a newer OS so certain things are inevitably missing as of now.

The Mango update is bringing quite a few things I was hoping for in Autumn (sockets support for things like Instant Messengers ect, multitasking, quick resuming of apps....they will announce more of the consumer end of things at a conference in Fall), but you will probably never see as much functionality as you have been accustomed.

That being said, is it worth it? Yes. Unless you absolutely need certain things (like real tethering......the focus can usb tether through a dial up, but its through an AT&T connection and will be easily charged to your account if they catch you). I came from Android which, is actually a lot like WinMobile. I miss things, but I wouldn't go back for anything.

The app situation is great. Most everything you need is there, with some more 'official' apps (like New York Times) coming soon. Developers and companies alike have realized windows phone is here to stay, and is a surprisingly nice platform to develop for, and the marketplace is growing pretty rapidly.

Thanks for the extended response essay on WP7 haha

jdunn

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Really!!??

Thanks for the suggestion but ive had an HTC phone before and didnt really like it, but all of my samsung phones have been great

I have to say that I have had the opposite experience. The Samsung phones I have owned, especially my Captivate, have been garbage. HTC on the other hand has very soliud phones, with a history of timely software updates as well. Each to his own I suppose. Good luck with whatever you choose.

ajneuman

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Or you could do like me and just wait for the HD7S which should be coming out soon. I hope anyways, otherwise all this waiting will get me nowhere.

HTC HD7S* - AT&T BusinessDirect? | Premier Business Center

I had the HTC Inspire 4G prior to getting the Samsung Focus and I did not care for it. It is big and Heavy.It doesn't feel anywhere near as good in the hand as the Focus. Also, if you do some comparisons of the Focus to the HD7, you'll find that most people like the Focus much better. I know the HD7S has a better screen than the HD7 but, I find hard to believe it is as good as the screen on the Focus.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I had the HTC Inspire 4G prior to getting the Samsung Focus and I did not care for it. It is big and Heavy.It doesn't feel anywhere near as good in the hand as the Focus. Also, if you do some comparisons of the Focus to the HD7, you'll find that most people like the Focus much better. I know the HD7S has a better screen than the HD7 but, I find hard to believe it is as good as the screen on the Focus.
i agree. SAMOLED is where it's at!

i have had enough HTC devices to know that they're good for looks and between Blur and Sense UI on android, Samsung makes better quality devices. so many warranty exchanges on HTC devices when i was working as a manager at at&t. it was ridiculous at the issues. touch screen accuracy/responsiveness and battery life were the biggest issues and still are today. look at the Nexus One for example.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
I guess I must take really good care of my HTC devices then. I have had three HTC PocketPC's, and 6 HTC phones, including this Surround, none of which have ever had a hardware problem or been returned for any reason. And I use my phones constantly, sometimes going through two full charges in 16-18 hours. I case my phones and keep them away from water, especially after midnight, but otherwise don't do my else to care for them.

Personally, I found the Focus to be to plastic-like for me and I thought the screen looked oversaturated. But that's why we all have choices. Enjoy your phone. I know I am enjoying mine.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro