To make sure I completely understand (SD card question)

jalb

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
So, the phone comes with 8 gigs. You have to be very careful to select a card to put in it. If you get the right kind of 8 gig card, can you add the card, and voila, you have 16 gigs? Or do you have to remove the 8 gig card that is in it, and put in a 16 gig card?

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The focus uses an different internal memory then SD cards, and you can not remove it.

So yes, when you add 8gb SD card, you have ~16 gigs. You really will have closer to 15, but not because of the phone or OS, but because manufactures lie about the size, they use mathematical gig and not data gig.

I would go ahead and get a 16 gig though, for the **** of it. The price difference between 8 and 16 is not much.

This is the exact one I bought for mine, and it works perfectly for me.
Amazon.com: NEW 16Gb Genuine Patriot Memory Card for SAMSUNG FOCUS SGH-I916 Cell Phone: Office Products

Remember, you gotta do a full hard reset when you install the memory later though. Turn phone off and hit Volume Down, Camera Button and then Power button. You then gotta hit Windows button like 2 times.

Goodeye

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Also if I recall correctly the Zune software makes a backup of your phone, so sync with it before you reset it and it should be able to put your phone back the way it was (of course with more memory)

I have a 16GB Sandisk class 4 card (don't have the model # on me but I remember it was on the list that Sandisk briefly had up of compatible cards)

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Zune does not make a backup of your device on demand. It only makes a backup prior to a major update, like NoDo or an OEM Firmware update. You can't tell it to make a backup. And not sure if you can even access that backup after a hard reset as Zune identifies your device as "new" even if you give it the same name. Just make sure you have recorded the most import stuff that can't be backed up, save the photos from your device to another folder as Zune may overwrite the existing folder when making the new sync, and just do it. A hard reset is really not that bad.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Also, keep in mind that unless you have a Symbian phone handy, your SD card will be unusable in all other devices (computer, camera, etc) except for your WP7. Windows Phone encrypts and locks the SD card and only Symbian phones can access and re-format.

So, unless you have access to a Symbian phone, choose your SD card wisely.

Michael.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills