Does the Focus really need a case?

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't use a case on my focus, so i'm a little worried about breaking it, i know it has gorilla glass but how is the rest of the phone in terms of durability?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I use an Incipio Feather just to protect the back and sides from scuffs an scratches.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The durability is fine. The reason I have a case is for added ruggedness more than anything since it felt very cheap in my hand/felt like I was going to break the power button ect. The case below is what i have, and made it feel 100x better...very solid. And its pretty thin.

http://www.amazon.com/Amzer-Argyle-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU1549972

As far as whether or not you will actually damage it, probably not. That cheap plastic casing is actually fairly good shock absorption ;) The buttons did worry me though, I really wish Samsung would stop using cheap exterior parts on some of their phones.

For me it was mostly the power button, but the case also really helps it keep from slipping around / out of my jacket, hand, and keeps it in place in my car and on my desk better.

prjctchris

Mar 1, 2011
www.prjctmobile.com
A case isn't necessary unless you are crazy obsessed with keeping your phone pristine. The screen is made from Gorilla Glass and the rest is plastic making the non-screen parts of the phone cheap to replace if they are broken. If you did have to have a case I would recommend just buying a feather case that fits around the sides and back of the phone.

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Wow quick responses, well I do have a case, bit I don't use it because lint gets stuck in the edges between the screen, can anyone recommend a hard case?

Sent from my Samsung Focus using Board Express

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I use an Incipio Feather just to protect the back and sides from scuffs an scratches.

i do the same thing, and with the same case.

if you just want a little protection from small drops, scuffs and scratches the incipio feather cases are the ones to get.

plus if you get the black (and maybe the red) they are matte finish, which adds a little more grip to the phone vs the shiny plastic of the backplate.

fc000

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped my Focus a few times, once even had the back plate go flying off, but so far nothing more then a minor scratch by the camera button on the side. The back plate and face are scuff and scratch free. It's a tough little phone.

If the choice is between a case or insurance, go with insurance.

Adiliyo

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
man, you must have a magical backplate, i set mine down on a few surfaces that weren't pristine and i have a fairly large scuff on the back.

not that i care really since it's covered with a case now, and backplates are cheap to replace...

rpm5101

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
My Focus got thrown into the air at a music festival. The backplate and battery shot off upon impact, and at least 3 people stepped on the device. When I put it back together, there were crazy colors all throughout the screen, like when you press on a computer monitor. I managed to push these colors out through the edge of the screen and now everything is perfect.

All I have on it is an InvisibleShield.

furygoalbrtis39

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My Focus got thrown into the air at a music festival. The backplate and battery shot off upon impact, and at least 3 people stepped on the device. When I put it back together, there were crazy colors all throughout the screen, like when you press on a computer monitory. I managed to push these colors out through the edge of the screen and now everything is perfect.

All I have on it is an InvisibleShield.
Wow, and to think that some people think it feels to plasticy, its a tough little bugger, rocking the no case still

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Wow quick responses, well I do have a case, bit I don't use it because lint gets stuck in the edges between the screen, can anyone recommend a hard case?

this is the best hard case for it, fits perfect and not bulky at all, forget those fancy $40-$50 cases. get this one for about $18 w/shipping. My Focus felt too delicate until I put this on there
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...ource=vb_wp&utm_medium=content&token=gKESc7T4

Rico

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
You don't need a case or screen protection until you do. My screen developed a mysterious crack in it after falling at most two feet onto concrete protected. And my first Focus developed a hairline scratch after being in a pocket with at most a canister of Burt's Bees chapstick. This is after I demoed the durability of the screen by trying to scratch it with keys and blades, which didn't scratch it at all. Go figure.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
All phones should be naked! Lol. I have all my smartphones wearing nothing, but the clothes they came in. Ha. Feels better that way and honestly, cases make them seem like a different phone, whether it's "Barely There" cases or Otterbox bulletproof cases.

Michael-Dallas

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
All phones should be naked! Lol. I have all my smartphones wearing nothing, but the clothes they came in. Ha. Feels better that way and honestly, cases make them seem like a different phone, whether it's "Barely There" cases or Otterbox bulletproof cases.

I was like that.

Until I dropped it on gravel.

I like the feel of a naked Focus, but I like the weight of my wallet more. :)

Michael.

WP_FAN#

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
Sleek look

I rock my focus with an zaag invishielddry installation. Depending on the conditions you are to put your phone, I recommend a gel inside hard outside. Look for hard shelled, gel/soft inside. Don't get any case that doesn't have a padding inside made of felt, leather, gel with grooves in it (so dust can collect there and not on the gel to create sand paper). Yes invishield adds a plastic feel to it but it doesn't take from the screen, id rather look at a clearer plastic than a scuffed screen. Any screen scratches imo. I'm speaking with owning galaxy 1/captivate, moto bravo, iphone serieses, and now focus which i am taking no chances with... All previous screen's have been put to the test by me, and they have all scratched. make sure if you get a scratch proof screen protector doesn't affect the touch sensitivity. if carrier provides insurance highly recommended!! THere is still a deductible for insurance, and usually a max amount of claims that can be made in a 12 month period.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss