APN Settings Automatically Set

gdubyacobb

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I called ATT the other day and got the carrier unlock code for my focus and am now on my first trip of the month and am using the phone in Canada on a Rogers SIM card.
I have the "Network Profile" app from Samsung installed and apparently as soon as you slip in the SIM card it automatically detects, fetches and updates the carrier APN settings on the phone.
On my past phones ( multiple razrs and an iPhone) I always had to hunt down the setting online and edit them myself.
I travel internationally for business and carry a deck of SIM cards so this is a very good feature IMHO.
Windows Phone 7, more and more my favorite phone ever

Duct Tape Panties

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
i always wondered what was the purpose of that Network Profile app by Samsung. By the way, I had my second Focus for about 2 weeks now. A few days ago, I called AT&T to get a unlock code and was told I needed to have had my Focus for 90 days before they could give me a code. Then I went to the AT&T Store just to see what they say, and was then told I needed to have the phone for at least a year before I can get a code. It's times like this that make me understand why people hate AT&T so much. I since found a guy on eBay that does it for $3.50, but haven't tried it out yet

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see it does work for you, but my story is quite different...

I unlocked my AT&T Focus to work in Panama, with my C&W +M?vil SIM Card. It was a pain to set up the APN, and MMS doesn't even work. Only thing I've hated about this phone. Samsung app only shows AT&T configuration, nothing else.

Nokia has it figured out. Right after inserting my SIM card and booting up any of their phones, it requests and instantly sets up Internet, WAP and MMS profiles. Seamless, every time. Other manufacturers should learn a bit from the Finnish.

I wonder how I could get that app to work...

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I know your frustration, and it's the very reason I started this thread over at WP7 suggestion forum.
Enable ADC and MMS configuration within the OS!

Every Windows Phone should have connection configuration options from within the OS!
Please vote and share the link. If we get enough votes, MS will see that this is a major issue that can't be ignored, especially when group messaging depends on mms.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
finding APN settings is easy

go to the carrier web site your going to use... and type APN in search lol. ;)

but i like how samsung steped it up :) got my focus from ROGERS to BELL , no problem.

romaink

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
@ Se1fcr3ation

The issue with the configuration is not editing APN settings.
The major issue is enabling ADC and manually configuring MMS settings.
Issues arise when using an unlocked device on another carrier or using another SIM while traveling elsewhere.
Samsung & HTC have apps to edit settings, but those are limited on profiles.

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Done, I gave the suggestion 3 votes because it's really important. I traveled through 5 European countries with a Nokia N86 and whenever I changed SIMs, every setting was automatically arranged. This should be the same experience we get on WP7, I think.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I go to France. When I pop in an Orange SIM card, everything sets up fine on my Nokia N8 including SMS MMS and Video calling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers