Speaker issues on Samsung Focus?

rlb914

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with the speaker going out on the Focus? I've loved the phone since I got it, but had this same issue with the first phone - got the store to trade it for a new one, and now same issue with this one. Speaker just goes out - no noise comes through (speaker phone, music, even ringtones). Comes through fine if I plug in a headset, but I need to be able to hear my phone ring. I have a case for it, but cannot identify any trauma to my phone that would have caused the problem.

DanH#WP

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I came across your post in a google search looking for info on my broken focus, same speaker problem. I was listening to music when it cut out and never returned, no damage to the phone just stopped working all of a sudden. I've tried cleaning the headphone jack but to no avail, likewise it also works with a headset.

I bought it a few months back through Amazon, any idea who I contact about a replacement?

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
It might be the issue people were referring to earlier. The headphone jack is also a microphone jack, and some headphones are triggering the system that when it is plugged in the system goes to headphone/microphone mode but does not undo it when it comes out.

Does a reset fix it?

The only solution I have heard of that problem was use different headphones.

dnmartin98

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Haven't had this issue on my focus, but this has happened to me on other phones. A quick look inside the headphone socket has revealed a piece of lint or something that has gotten stuck in there making the phone think that something is plugged in. A blast from a can of air, or a carefull poking with a match stick fixed it for me on my other phone.

DanH#WP

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
A reset doesn't fix it.

I've also tried cleaning the headphone jack with canned air and pointy objects with no luck.

In addition I've tried updating the phone and it fails at step 6 of 7 with an unknown error.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
You need to finish the update. The update does fix some of those issues, not sure if it is your issue. Follow the help thing with the update error.

DanH#WP

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I formatted the phone which allowed me to successfully run the update without error this time. Unfortunately it didn't fix the speaker problem, I still have no sound.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
well it sounds like what was a common problem with tghe early treos through the 680 and to some extent even later. The headphone jack may have become unsoldered Or stuck in a position internally where it thinks that the headphones are being used whether they are or not. That issue was sometimes cleared using the headphone jack in and out or jiggling it or using a toothpick or paper clip to fiddle with the jack internals Do so carefully.

blackbriar511

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
well it sounds like what was a common problem with tghe early treos through the 680 and to some extent even later. The headphone jack may have become unsoldered Or stuck in a position internally where it thinks that the headphones are being used whether they are or not. That issue was sometimes cleared using the headphone jack in and out or jiggling it or using a toothpick or paper clip to fiddle with the jack internals Do so carefully.

Palm had a problem with this with its Pre line of phones. I eventually ended up having the phone swapped out after numerous troubleshooting measures.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel