Elementary requirements and questions

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I finally decided to get the Focus, accepting that I can cope with biggies like not being able to sync with Office Outlook nor store documents in a still-wonderful 36.9GB storage space; yet, I’m frustrated that this fancy new OS that I am generally very happy with does not have some elementary all/everyday functions, capabilities, or options that I’ve had since my first SMARTphone, the Treo 270, and in Windows Mobile. Is any of this something I haven’t figured out, available in an add-on of any kind, or coming with Mango? Thank you.

On mail:
Is there any way to not include the sender’s message in a reply? If not, is there a way to delete the reply (given that I don’t seem to have a delete key)?
Is there a way to avoid the reply/all/forward prompt?
Is there any way to fetch mail more frequently than every 15 min?

On calendar:
Is there a way to set an appointment for an every-first-Tuesday meeting?
Is there a way to set a snooze period?

Also, is there a way to have Hotmail not send calendar reminders?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I finally decided to get the Focus, accepting that I can cope with biggies like not being able to sync with Office Outlook nor store documents in a still-wonderful 36.9GB storage space; yet, I’m frustrated that this fancy new OS that I am generally very happy with does not have some elementary all/everyday functions, capabilities, or options that I’ve had since my first SMARTphone, the Treo 270, and in Windows Mobile. Is any of this something I haven’t figured out, available in an add-on of any kind, or coming with Mango? Thank you.

On mail:
Is there any way to not include the sender’s message in a reply? If not, is there a way to delete the reply (given that I don’t seem to have a delete key)?
Is there a way to avoid the reply/all/forward prompt?
Is there any way to fetch mail more frequently than every 15 min?

On calendar:
Is there a way to set an appointment for an every-first-Tuesday meeting?
Is there a way to set a snooze period?

Also, is there a way to have Hotmail not send calendar reminders?
Thanks again.

What you mean you cant Sync with Outlook?? for work e-mails??? you need to go see your I.T guy to give you a temp password to connect to your account. (if your even allowed ) i do it at work.

How to Store Office documents in your WP7: Sync Documents in Office Mobile | Office Mobile | Windows Phone 7

On MAIL:

I haven’t found a way to *remove* the senders MSG , but what i did FIND :p ... if you push and hold on senders MSG (in the reply ) it auto centers the MSG for you to be able to quickly re-read it tor reply . lol , sorry

what do you mean avoid the reply/all/forward?

E-mail hub -->Click on the 3 dots --> settings --> Sync Settings ---> Download new content ---> **As items arrive** .. i get it as fast if not faster then my actual hotmail account.

Colander:

To set up an Appointment to re-accrue every *Thursday* of the week (doesn’t matter what day )
its a little confusing

First: if you want your appointment to come back EVERY THURSDAY .. you need to set up your Appoint in the calendar on a THURSDAY...

go to calendar --> push the + (for new ) --> More details ---> Occurs --> once, every day , every THURSDAY (because today is Thursday) day 22 of every month ( cause its the 22nd) or every sept 22

SNOOZE? for calendar or for your alarm??? Alarm yes... i use it every day.

Hotmail calendar reminders.... whatever your hotmail gets your phone gets.. i dunno if its possible to deactivate yet..

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
<<<What you mean you cant Sync with Outlook?? for work e-mails??? you need to go see your I.T guy to give you a temp password to connect to your account. (if your even allowed ) i do it at work.

How to Store Office documents in your WP7: Sync Documents in Office Mobile | Office Mobile | Windows Phone 7>>>

I meant syncing with my desktop Outlook as I have with prior WinMobile smartphones, not through an exchange server. But, this is something that was a block for me since last November, and on which I finally conceded when the price of the Focus reached $0. :) Thanks for the link, as it gave me the mailing option which is lame but helpful.

<<<On MAIL:

I haven?t found a way to *remove* the senders MSG , but what i did FIND ... if you push and hold on senders MSG (in the reply ) it auto centers the MSG for you to be able to quickly re-read it tor reply . lol , sorry>>>

LOL; thanks.

<<<what do you mean avoid the reply/all/forward?>>>

I get a prompt for whether to reply or forward when I press ?respond?. I never forward mail and would like a default reply as I?ve always had.

<<<E-mail hub -->Click on the 3 dots --> settings --> Sync Settings ---> Download new content ---> **As items arrive** .. i get it as fast if not faster then my actual hotmail account.>>>

Is ?as items arrive? a Mango feature? I don?t have it.

<<<Colander:

To set up an Appointment to re-accrue every *Thursday* of the week (doesn?t matter what day )
its a little confusing

First: if you want your appointment to come back EVERY THURSDAY .. you need to set up your Appoint in the calendar on a THURSDAY...

go to calendar --> push the + (for new ) --> More details ---> Occurs --> once, every day , every THURSDAY (because today is Thursday) day 22 of every month ( cause its the 22nd) or every sept 22>>>

But what I need is every FIRST Tuesday or Thursday (of month) only. (I have commitments every first Tuesday, and every last Friday of each month.)

<<<SNOOZE? for calendar or for your alarm??? Alarm yes... i use it every day.>>>

I meant for calendar reminders; thanks.

<<<Hotmail calendar reminders.... whatever your hotmail gets your phone gets.. i dunno if its possible to deactivate yet..>>>

Thanks for responding, Se1f!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
-Dont think you can SYNC with outlook like u use to with WM , the only way ive seen e-mail sync is Over the air..

- you cant skip the reply/forward option .. i personally don?t think its a big deal , 1 extra click.. lol

- for having your calendar appointment every FIRST Thursday fo the month.. we cant... hopefully mango will fix this ( i know they added calendar features ) but dunno yet.

- for sure , when u set a re-minder, lets say 1 min before for example , reminder pops up , you have 2 options: SNOOZE or CANCEL .. if you hit snooze it will remind you again in 5min!( no way to change the 5min doh :( )

- as for the E-mail sync , its not a MANGO option ** as items arrive* i have a Samsung focus 1.3 running NODO.

e-mail hub -----> ...(3dots)[click on it] -----> Settings(click on it) ---> Sync Settings(click on it) ---> Download new content(click on it) --> As items Arrive ( should be the first one on top of list)

PS. if this was useful to you :) id appreciate it if you hit the * THANK YOU* button at the bottom of my posts :)

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks again, Se1f. I have thanked you but I refuse to press any more buttons until you give me an answer I like. ;) We'll see if Mango introduces some WM and Palm functionality. :)

BTW, "as items arrive" is an option with Hotmail, but not with the standard-mail-client account I set up.

BTW2, I've stopped the silly Hotmail calendar reminders by setting Hotmail to manual retrieve. Not good, but I'll just limit my use of Hotmail to WP7 and Zune matters.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I have meetings on the first and third Mondays of each month and I set up my appointments on my laptop through hotmail calendar which is seen as part of outlook and the hotmail then syncs or whetever over the air. appointments show up in the focus calendar just like emails do. the recurring appts show up fine.I am hoping at some point that they will put in direct sync with outlook (not eas) like it used to be (expand Zune sync maybe) or maybe I will try Office 365 I think that has some sort of built in sync w outlook.

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Great! Thanks FDA. I hadn't even explored the HM calendar on anything other than the Focus and will now. Hopefully, they'll also add an option for No mail reminders, among other things.

The Office 365 is attractive, but I retired last year and my calendar needs are truly elementary -not worth $6/month. I would pay only for a PIM that would play nice on my Focus AND restore the mail, contact, and calendar privacy that was respected/valued in the 20th century. ;) Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon