Samsung Focus 1.3 Mango Update Problem

DotNetRob

Dec 15, 2010
www.dotnetrob.com
I tried the trick to update my phone(Samsung Focus 1.3 7390) via the disconnect trick on http://www.windowscentral.com/force-mango-update-early-through-zune-software . The trick worked, it started to install 7392 but after it restarted my phone at step 6/10 it just sat there for 40 minutes. So I hit cancel on zune and my phone restarted and seemed to work, says I am still on 7390. But now I see there are things wrong. I can view my email in the list of email, but when I go to view any of the email it kicks me back to the start screen. All other apps seem to work, phone, messages, etc... but I can't read email. I have 4 different emails setup but all behave the same, it kicks me when I try to read email.

Any ideas???

1. Try update again?
2. Reset Phone?
3. ???

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
try doing a hard reset on your phone .... then re-upgrade...

dunno why you did the *trick* when its official.... you should do it properly.

DotNetRob

Dec 15, 2010
www.dotnetrob.com
Tried just doing the update again but zune doesn't want to connect to my phone.

Used the Windows Support Tool and it fixed something, although email/IE doesn't work. But zune can connect. Doing update again, its already past 6/10 so it appears its not stuck this time.

Will post my results.

DotNetRob

Dec 15, 2010
www.dotnetrob.com
Installed 7392 worked this time. Was real quick. Phone still doesn't work properly, IE/Email not working. Attempting update to 7403 now, if it still doesn't work, guess I will be reseting....

DotNetRob

Dec 15, 2010
www.dotnetrob.com
It Worked.

It Worked, Mango installed, IE, Email, Etc... working. All without having to do a hard reset. :D:D:D

Not sure why the first 7932 update failed but happy it didn't complete messup my phone.

elmopio

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Need some help I currently own two Samsung Focus v1.3 from Day 1 of release and not one will update via zune software. The phone itself doesnt tell me there is a update also. I am stuck on 7390.I did a hard reset, reinstalled zune and nothing. Even tried the trick. Does anyone have a suggestions?

brew1985

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The trick works...this is how i did it

Ensure wifi and cellular radio are turned off
connect to pc via usb
in zune, click on update
as soon as the update begins searching, count 4 one thousands (quickly)
once you hit 4, turn off the pc's internet connection (pull the ethernet cable or have the wireless manager open ready to click the disconnect button.
Zune should tell you that you have an update available, don't forget to reconnect PC to the net, then start the update(s) and wait (it takes 20-30 minutes, just let it do it's thing, when you think it's frozen, it's not!!!!)

Don't give up, this method worked the first try for me (7932) and on the second try to get mango, I hadn't even owned the phone (craigslist trade) for a full 12 hours when i did this lol!

elmopio

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I dont know why I didnt think of this earlier. But I had zune on my encoder box and I had to used the trick from here but it is currently updating. Thanks

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't give up, this method worked the first try for me (7932) and on the second try to get mango, I hadn't even owned the phone (craigslist trade) for a full 12 hours when i did this lol!

a FULL 12 hours..??? well... now we understand just how exasperated you must have become and why you had to resort to (this version of) "the trick". ;)

Congratulations brew, thanks for sharing, and welcome to super AMOLED nirvana!

amirwilliam

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have been trying it for the third day in a row, i have the focus v1.3 AT&T branded and unlocked and living in Eygpt.
i tried every combination and it doesn't work, and i realized a very important thing, it checks the update threw the phone data connection not the pc, as i turend off WIFI and APN on my phone and tried checking for the update and i always get the can't check for update error.
I really don't know how this trick works and i am so eager to get mango, is there any other way then this trick?

Last question, will i get the update in Egypt if i bought the phone from the usa?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I have been trying it for the third day in a row, i have the focus v1.3 AT&T branded and unlocked and living in Eygpt.
i tried every combination and it doesn't work, and i realized a very important thing, it checks the update threw the phone data connection not the pc, as i turend off WIFI and APN on my phone and tried checking for the update and i always get the can't check for update error.
I really don't know how this trick works and i am so eager to get mango, is there any other way then this trick?

Last question, will i get the update in Egypt if i bought the phone from the usa?

the trick is listed here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/180998.htm Lots of people got it to work, but not everyone.

I have a GSM Trophy from Germany and I got the update in the usa.

amirwilliam

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It finally worked for me
this is how i did it :)

I couldn't get any of the previous mentioned to work but I this is what finally did.

turn off phone cellular data in settings
turn off computer wlan
leave phone wifi "on" and connect to computer, have phone wifi page open
go to update settings and hit update button. 4 seconds turn off phone wifi (I actually counted 1 when I hit the mouse button, then 2-3-4)
I kept trying, it reached 40 seconds here, but maybe this is my slow connection :)
wait for notification of update and then turn on computer wlan.
once connected back to the internet, hit update button on screen

alohaor

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
focus 1.3 forced update

I tried the procedure outlined by Amirwilliam :

"turn off phone cellular data in settings
turn off computer wlan
leave phone wifi "on" and connect to computer, have phone wifi page open
go to update settings and hit update button. 4 seconds turn off phone wifi (I actually counted 1 when I hit the mouse button, then 2-3-4)
I kept trying, it reached 40 seconds here, but maybe this is my slow connection
wait for notification of update and then turn on computer wlan.
once connected back to the internet, hit update button on screen."

I repeated the process three times to go from 7390 to 7392, 7403 and 7720. My phone now has Window 7.5 (Mango). All the apps work and the phone feels faster and more stable.

I wonder why do we have to do this for an official update?

A very useful and more detailed set of instructions is at:

http://www.zxeen.com/2011/09/how-to-install-windows-phone-7-5-mango-on-your-wp7-device/

Last edited:

Dagolara

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried the procedure outlined by Amirwilliam :

It worked for me. I wonder why do we have to do this for an official update?

You don't. What you are doing is jumping the line for the staggered rollout, tricking the software to think your phone is flagged for that stage.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb