BUSTED!- Tethering Focus AT&T

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
Heh very true but this isn't Android with CarrierIQ. I kinda understand them sniffing packets on their network to detect tethering but stay the **** off my phone.

clmbngbkng

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
One thing I would love to happen is we break the cycle of buying phones from carriers but I know that will never happen any time soon.

We don't buy computers from Comcast, Cox or AT&T for home internet and I would love to have the same thing for wireless.

Phrozty

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Update:
At&t approved my switch back to the unlimited data plan. Very nice!:)
I guess my renegade tethering days are behind me. I'll play it straight from now on.
On the upside I had been tethering in small doses since I got my first razr back in '05, so really I can't complain.
But if at&t ever turns on WP tethering I'll sign up and pay happily.

How in the world did you get switched back??? I had to give mine up for my titan :/.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
One thing I would love to happen is we break the cycle of buying phones from carriers but I know that will never happen any time soon.

We don't buy computers from Comcast, Cox or AT&T for home internet and I would love to have the same thing for wireless.

Steve Jobs had thoughts of eliminating carriers via a large WiFi system.

Last edited:

Opera Ghost

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
How in the world did you get switched back??? I had to give mine up for my titan :/.
Seriously? I upgraded from my Focus to the Titan and while going through the process the AT&T rep was ticking off all the points of my account and said "Of course, you want to keep your unlimited data plan". Didn't ask or try and switch me, just flat out "of course you want to keep..". I thought that was hilarious.

OG

toshdellapenna

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I ordered my titan on upgrade during the black Saturday sale online. When I was going through my plan the unlimited data was already checked. The option only shows up for customers who were already on the plan who are upgrading.

Sent from my Htc Titan using Board Express

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? I upgraded from my Focus to the Titan and while going through the process the AT&T rep was ticking off all the points of my account and said "Of course, you want to keep your unlimited data plan". Didn't ask or try and switch me, just flat out "of course you want to keep..". I thought that was hilarious.

OG

Yup. If you got tricked out of your plan... you got tricked. Family member kept his old iPhone unlimited plan straight into a LTE Unlimited plan with his Vivid (it even says LTE Unlimited!).

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site

Right, who wants to go first. ;)

Sadly, we're all a bunch of phone whores who can't resist the "price break" our pimp carriers offer on the latest devices.

I've began trying alternatives. And a step in the right direction for me - I've resisted using one of our upgrades for a few months instead of the day it became available. Part of that has been no LTE in my area and the lack of a compelling (for me) 2nd gen WP7 device. It'll be tough next year, though.

I know if AT&T ever takes away unlimited data, I'm gone. With 5GB+/month users already getting warnings of being throttled and threats of a capped plan for continued "liberal" usage, that day might be sooner than previously thought.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb