Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

to make a long story short, i used my upgrade and snagged one of those focus S for a penny, and i agreed to let one of my family members have the old focus, even though they probably werent going to use many of the features i set it up for them, and turned data off, at their request , so that it wouldnt cause any unexpected occurences on our bill.

I took my sim out,factory reset, put hers in, all well and good in the world, let it sit for a few hours while she hammers it out, and lo and behold, she cant send MMS at all, though normal texting works just fine. so , i look around, wifi is up and running flawlessly and none of the settings were changed, and aside from it not being updated to 7.5 yet, i have no idea what the problem is

im updating it as we speak, or type rather, and if that doesnt solve it, im at a loss, anyone have any insight on this, itd be much appreciated
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,163 Global Posts
    You need mango for MMS should work after the update

You can not send or receive MMS with data turned off. How else is it supposed to send the data of the picture? Or receive? You can not use wifi for that either, it has to go through phone network.

All phones use data for that. That is why the MMS messages cost more, or you pay a little extra for a special plan that has MMS messaging and not just txt messaging.

Global Posts
    1,036 Global Posts
    Using WiFi, you can email w/attachment to the recipient's text email address provided by their carrier, i.e. 2135551212@txt.att.net

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Yeah, i figured as much, i suppose shell just have to email any type of pictures or anything of that sort, though thatll probably be a rare occurence

really dont see how they couldnt set up an alternative channel for sending that type of media through a standard wlan, but i guess thats service providers for you, probably some mundane complication preventing it or some other madness

oh well, minor issue that i was checking into on behalf of someone else, now off to enjoy my focus s

Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Mundane, but not banal: MMS involves more complicated technology than text, and big bucks for the carriers. Here's a Wiki word on it: Multimedia Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, to clarify, Mango won't make a difference.

Enjoy your new Focus!
    Every choice involves compromising...
    Zune Pass Rocks and rolls and jazzes and...
    We are all just prisoners here, of our own device(s)...
    Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    7,163 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodolfo View Post
    Mundane, but not banal: MMS involves more complicated technology than text, and big bucks for the carriers. Here's a Wiki word on it: Multimedia Messaging Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, to clarify, Mango won't make a difference.

Enjoy your new Focus!
    To clarify there is no MMS I NoDo devices. You still need cell data to send MMS messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
    To clarify there is no MMS I NoDo devices. You still need cell data to send MMS messages.
    What are you talking about. I sent and received MMS messages from my original release version of the Focus.

Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    If she's sending pics to another phone (ios, wp7, android or BB) she can use kik or whatsapp. I've been setting up my son's iPod Touch and my wife's Touchpad with Cynanogen 7 and they both sent and received pics with each other over wifi.

No, the problem was that most everyone she knows didnt have "smart" phones and therefore no internet support, anyway, thanks for everyones help in the matter, but at&t ended up forcibly attaching a data plan and turning data on while she was trying it out and it was an indomitable pain to have it removed, so i think shes been more or less turned off of this whole path

a shame really, the focus is such a nice phone and all

already got my carrier unlock code and ill be swinging by on monday to get it unlocked, probably just going to sell it for 200 or so amazon or something or see if one of my friends with a data plan want to try out windows phone or something