My Samsung Focus will not turn on.

ninjachisty

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Focus for two years now, and last night it shut its self off and will not turn back on. It has randomly shut off four or five times in the past two weeks, and I thought it was a hold button issue because I would go to lock my screen and nothing would happen, and then a few seconds later it would show the power down screen. I would always swipe up to navigate out of it but sometimes it would end up shutting off anyway. So now I can't get it to start up by pressing the hold button, but when I insert the battery it will show the Samsung screen for a few seconds and then shut down.

I went into AT&T today to see if there was anything that could be done and the sales rep. I talked to suggested I try a new battery. I'm not convinced that that is the issue here because I had a 70% charged battery when it died. After I said that he told me that since the phone was two years old it probably died of old age.

Anyone else heard of this happening? Or had it happen to them?
I am eligible for an upgrade but was hoping to wait until Wp8 gets released to use it.

Thank you for your input.

mikeeemm

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
That happens to me every now and then. Pull the battery when it happens and charge it. I think sometimes the battery life is not correct. Just last night it shows I had 50% and out of no where it turned off and wouldn't turn back on, I plugged it in and the battery had died.

ninjachisty

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I pulled the battery out and left it out for an hour and put it back in, and the Samsung screen showed but it died a few seconds later. I plugged it in to charge for the entire night and this morning it still would not move past the Samsung screen.

invertme

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Same thing is happening to my GFs Focus. I really think they make phones to time bomb in 2 years so you get a new one. I am getting a L920 and giving her my L900. Hopefully she can live with a barely functioning phone until then.

Cristoby

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Pull the battery out and press the the power button as if trying to turn it on. Inspect the battery: does it seem to be swollen on the middle, getting fatter, not completely flat? Borrow s battery and test or change the battery.

Clean the battery (& phone) contacts with Deoxit and a q-tip.

Test the charger, test the cable. Use another charger (>.7 Amps).

Put everything together and plug the charger in. Let it charge overnight.

JudahBuddha

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Samsung-smamsung!

ninjachisty, I have the exact same problem. It started a couple months ago. It would turn off by itself, super annoying!!! It got so bad that it happened 20 or more times a day. I also could also not get to come back on without turning it on 20 or more, more times. Eventually it would come back on and then turn back on. Now, It wont move pass the samsung logo. I've tried and tried but I never got to see that orange at&t logo :( The battery's probably dead now. I too am waiting for the Lumia 920 because my phone is over two years old and out of contract.
I do have a question for you ninjachisty. Did you expand your memory in the focus? Because I know wp7 devices would adapt the card as a whole and could not be removed. I was wondering if that was at fault. However, The phone and the 8g memory card are both samsung products and I'll be happy one I switch to Nokia.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This happened to my wife's Titan. It was due to overheating.

Unfortunately, it damaged the hardware somehow.

rambisetr#WP

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I just googled this cuz its happening to my phone too. One guy said its a faulty On/Off button. Might be fixable. Another said there is a battery or capacitor that has gone bad internally that is really not replaceable. In any case, hopefully you are near your upgrade like me and will just get a new phone....Lumia 920!

Robert Anderson6

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I had the same exact problem, one day I tried locking it, it wanted to turn off, I scrolled it up, and it turned off. What I did was When you insert the battery, hold the volume up and down buttons until it turns off then you will see samsung again. It should turn on fully. I went and I took a mini screwdriver and tried popping the lock/power button out, after that I didnt have success with taking the button out, so I went and it shut off again, I tried using the button to turn it on and then it worked perfectly, I am surprised I fixed it, if you dont want to try taking the button out, It did it to me again, I did the same thing but I didnt mess with the button, I restored it, and I havent had any problems with it for about 3-4 months :)

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to necro this thread but I had the same problem with mine and found 2 ways to work around it for 2 months til my contract was up and upgraded to a 920. The problem is the faulty power button, sometimes it will not register and sometimes it gets stuck. When it gets stuck you will see the "slide to power off" Try to activate the camera using the dedicated camera button. That will turn the phone and the camera on and just hit the back button to get back to the main screen. I had to do this 15-20 times a day.

Sometimes the power button gets stuck in that position long enough to reset (long hold of the power button). If you have this problem and the phone does not turn on, follow these steps:

-take the back cover off
-take battery out
-hold the volume up button
-insert battery
-keep holding the volume up button til you see the Windows splash screen

Taking the battery out and resetting it 10 times a day is a royal pain in the *** and was happy when I was finally eligible for an upgrade. I was also happy to find out that there is a site that repairs this issue but you have to send your phone to them and the turnaround time was 5 days. At the time I searched the internet and could not find the power button to replace myself so I paid this site $30 to have this done and it works good as new. I gave the phone to my 12yr old and he hasn't had any problems. I hope this helps.....if it doesn't then hit the back button and move on to another thread :p

dilip116

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I have a Samsung Focus. Couple of months ago i customized the ROM, and worked properly for a week. After that my phone is not turning on thru power buttons. When i plug it to the charger or to USB, Samsung Logo appears and suddenly it gets off . I've tried several ways to restore my phone to original one. Still not working . Can any one please help me to solve this.

David Bryan

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
-take the back cover off
-take battery out
-hold the volume up button
-insert battery
-keep holding the volume up button til you see the Windows splash screen

did this and it powered on, samsung windows phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss