A successful 32gb-card (re)installation

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
I have been able to re-install the 32GB microSD card from my dead Focus into my replacement Focus. The card was formatted on install as with a new card and I had to re-install everything, but apps and my 5700-track Zune collection have now been re-loaded into the 36.9GB install. I simply removed the card from the dead unit and inserted it into the new phone's card slot, tried the 3-button card-install instructions in the user guide, and it worked on the first try. Four updates, including Mango, also installed without a hitch. I installed the card after the first two updates because that's the point at which it worked for me last year.

So, although the user guide warns you that a WP-formatted card will not be usable for other applications, it does work for a WP re-install.

Ensure that you have sufficient free space on your hard drive prior to connecting your phone; otherwise, the update installation(s) may stall on a "checking to see if you have enough space to do a backup" message. I learned this the first time and freed 44GB of space.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
What brand micro sd card did you use? i've been hunting for a larger card since my 8GB sandisk is the most stable one I've found. Others, especially 16GB have been flaky and sometimes loses my data or slows the phone down considerably.

If you have a model# that would be fantastical :)

Rodolfo#WP

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
It is a Sandisk card, of unknown class. In August of 2011, it was the cheapest Sandisk card available at Amazon. This is the card that comes up when I check my Orders there: Amazon.com: SanDisk 32GB microSDHC Memory Card (Bulk Package): Computers & Accessories
I paid $47 for it then. I keep the card/formatted memory packed all the time, regularly deleting and loading music and pics; I've never lost data, nor have I noticed any speed issues; but, my data and usage may be much different than yours.

Note that both of my phones were bought new, I've only done Zune-prompted updates, and never performed any of the modifications on these phones.

Good luck to you.

Cristoby

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
$24 @ Costco this week. Purchased two: one for my Focus 1.3, and another one for my Surface. Upon upgrading to 7.8 I'll try to swap a 16gig card for the 32gig one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium