7.8 Update??

Flesners

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
My ATT Focus Rev 1.3 - no update yet. There was a guy who posted under the today's rumor article that he got it on Rogers network in Canada.

Purge_GT

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm on rogers, nothing for me yet. Mind you, my Focus has starting dinging, USB port doesn't recognize, so all I have is the WiFi check to validate.

Has anyone ever been able to recover from this problem? I've been waiting for 7.8 for so long, and now my phone is FUBAR.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
How do you put 7.8 on your self? I used to be pretty skilled with WP6 LOL haven't really messed with my Focus or 920 that much. I tried the Zune disconnect method to trick it to update but that still didn't work. I'm beginning to worry we may never get the update :/

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I did it the "hard" cab update way, but now there is a tool to make it easier:

New tool helps make installing the Windows Phone 7.8 update slightly easier | Windows Phone Central

For my samsung focus I needed the following language packs:
deutsch - 413
english - 409
Spanish - 0c0a
French - 40c
Italian - 410

I'd verify on your phone that these are correct (go into the language settings and see which languages are there).

If you want to do it the CAB update way, Which I'm positive works everything you need should be here:
http://www.windowscentral.com/impatient-windows-phone-78-fetch-cab-files-and-diy

just need to download the OS updates, and only the language files you need, and use cab sender to send it to your phone. (There are 3 different updates, the second one doesn't come with language files.)

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Awesome thanks man. I'll wait a bit and see if the Focus will get an official update. Glad to know we have options if it doesn't. I still love my Focus for a back up phone when I know the night may get crazy and I don't want my 920 to damage anyone or anything LOL.

I did it the "hard" cab update way, but now there is a tool to make it easier:

New tool helps make installing the Windows Phone 7.8 update slightly easier | Windows Phone Central

For my samsung focus I needed the following language packs:
deutsch - 413
english - 409
Spanish - 0c0a
French - 40c
Italian - 410

I'd verify on your phone that these are correct (go into the language settings and see which languages are there).

If you want to do it the CAB update way, Which I'm positive works everything you need should be here:
Impatient for Windows Phone 7.8? Fetch the CAB files and DIY | Windows Phone Central

just need to download the OS updates, and only the language files you need, and use cab sender to send it to your phone. (There are 3 different updates, the second one doesn't come with language files.)

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Awesome thanks man. I'll wait a bit and see if the Focus will get an official update. Glad to know we have options if it doesn't. I still love my Focus for a back up phone when I know the night may get crazy and I don't want my 920 to damage anyone or anything LOL.
I kind of worried about the same thing! But it's a pain to switch over and the 920 feels like it can take abuse unlike the very light samsung focus! So far it has, I did get a cover to make sure the outside stay as scratch free as possible.

Is there a downside to the cab update? I read somewhere that things like bing wallpaper doesn't work.
I haven't came across one yet. The first thing I did was try the bing wall paper. It worked, but for some reason I couldn't save a photo to the phone from a text message until after I rebooted after the update.

Bajirav

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I haven't came across one yet. The first thing I did was try the bing wall paper. It worked, but for some reason I couldn't save a photo to the phone from a text message until after I rebooted after the update.
How do I figure out the language packs from the URLs? (I need 5 for my focus Deutsch, English, Espanol, Francais and Italiano)
I am running 7.10.7720.68 - can I directly go to 7.8 or do I need to update to tango first?

Coan

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Tried the disconnect trick last night but no luck, Rogers locked Focus here. I'll hold out since I've only been able to get patched on the first day once before. Provided Samsungs got any specific firmware, Rogers has been good with supporting the phone so far...I'll give things another try tonight.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Rogers, did the disconnect trick and updated my L900 to 7.8

The best way to do it is to open your network adapters window, pull Zune in front of it where your network adapter is showing above Zune at the top. Then click update, just as the loading bar reaches the end (about 1-2 seconds) right click the network adapter and click disable.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Is there a downside to the cab update? I read somewhere that things like bing wallpaper doesn't work.

You also do not get OEM updates which should be installed first before the OS update. Some features won't work because some have failed to install the right language packs. This is what's annoying about updating by cab. Really recommend sticking with Zune, even if it's forced update, you'd still get OEM update before or sometimes after the OS update.

Bajirav

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
You also do not get OEM updates which should be installed first before the OS update. Some features won't work because some have failed to install the right language packs. This is what's annoying about updating by cab. Really recommend sticking with Zune, even if it's forced update, you'd still get OEM update before or sometimes after the OS update.
I would normally do but I am upgrading to a 920 soon and this Focus will be my spare phone. I think the risk is very low. :)
I also think Focus has reached EOL when it comes to receiving any further updates. :/ AT&T hasn't updated my phone after 7720 so what are the chances they will do now? None.

fulnix

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
This is more to protect the world from my 920...not the other way around LOL

I kind of worried about the same thing! But it's a pain to switch over and the 920 feels like it can take abuse unlike the very light samsung focus! So far it has, I did get a cover to make sure the outside stay as scratch free as possible.

bguy_1986

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
How do I figure out the language packs from the URLs? (I need 5 for my focus Deutsch, English, Espanol, Francais and Italiano)
I am running 7.10.7720.68 - can I directly go to 7.8 or do I need to update to tango first?

To find the right link I'm going to use Spanish for example (I'm not sure where the full list is that tells you what "code" is what. It's on this website, or the XDA website)
Spanish - 0c0a - (doesn't allow me to make the 0 bold, but it should be...)
all you do is look at the end part:
lang_0c0a.pks_29c153eae13ce7184ac8abc63eb6345694e9fce0.cab

my phone needed (and it looks like your does too):
deutsch - 413.pks
english - 409.pks
Spanish - 0c0a.pks
French - 40c.pks
Italian - 410.pks

xda-developers - View Single Post - [CAB] Official WP7 Updates List up to WP 7.8 + ALL LANGUAGES complete + OEM updates

Everything that i've read says there won't be a 7.8 update for the original samsung focus.

Sotal

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm weary of trying to use the home-made "severeighter" (comments haven't suggested that it even works with rev1.3) or pushing a .cab file, just for the potential risk of bugs or non-working features.

Despite a horrendous track record, I'm going to hold out that ATT will eventually release this as it is a major update rather than small fix like tango.

anon(5348756)

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
I just reset my Focus via Zune. I did it with the disconnect method, waiting about 3/4 seconds. Took a couple tries, but did the trick (yesterday I tried 20 times with no luck, today it was a success at the 3rd attempt). I went to 8779 first, then 8783 and finally 8858 (had to do the disconnect for each of them). Oh, also, I took the SIM out while I was updating, just in case (so the phone doesn't know I'm using the T-Mobile network, just in case that made things more difficult).

Note that my Focus is the AT&T model but I flashed it long ago with the original retail Rogers ROM (which is practically stock WP original rom) because I hated all the stupid personalizations made by AT&T, so my Focus thinks it's an i917R instead of an i917 - this could be why I was able to do the disconnect thing. In any case, I very highly recommend you ditch the AT&T rom in favor of the clean Rogers one, it's the perfectly clean, non-homebrew original used by Rogers in Canada, so you will get all updates through Zune perfectly normally.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb