How to stop screen dimming

Peter Draper1

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I am loving the Galaxy TabPro S but how do I stop the screen dimming while watching/streaming videos - this is particularly annoying if I am casting my screen display in a presentation and have to keep brushing the screen to bring the brightness back.

Any suggestions gratefully received
:)

Buji

May 2, 2016
Visit site
yeah there are a couple out there that I've been looking at. a utility that you can turn on / off would be a good one to use or one that had a timer so if you forget to turn the utility off you don't end up with screen burn.

ad78

Feb 9, 2014
Visit site
I never experience dimming on Video streaming. mostly I'm watching Netflix and Twit both app from store. I can adjust the dimming up top 10mins on regular usage. but seriously, no dimming when I'm watching videos

Buji

May 2, 2016
Visit site
A lot of the streaming video services will send along keypress emulation to keep alive screens. Dish anywhere as a matter of fact is known to have a problem after viewing video from your DVR, it will refuse to let your pc go into sleep mode unless you find the TSR in task manager and kill it.
Weirdly, when I steam stream games from my gaming rig, even though I have a gamepad controller hooked up locally to the tabpro s, it doesn't register this as a keep alive event, and every 10 minutes or so I'll see the blue led blink right before it goes into samsung's dim mode. I usually just touch the screen real quick when I see that and it it still goes to dim mode but for just a second. I have a piece of black tape over my camera so if it were to do a face detection to keep the screen on it would fail.

Phantron

Nov 4, 2016
Visit site
I also purchased this tablet for remote gaming using steam in home streaming. Like the above poster, I find it frustrating that gamepad inputs don't prevent the screen from dimming during gameplay. It is unacceptable that there isn't the option to disable dimming altogether.

kadajawi

May 16, 2013
Visit site
It's not exactly an issue... the screen needs to be dimmed, because otherwise it won't last. I want it to dim. However the software that recognizes if video is being played (and video isn't as hurtful as static images) doesn't seem to work all that well. I'm mostly using Kodi to play videos, and there the screen is dimmed.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You can extend the delay, but otherwise, you cannot.

Samsung Galaxy TabPro S review: A taste of a future I?m not ready for | Ars Technica

See the beginning part of this review talking about the display. I think it'll tell you everything you need to know.

Maybe getting a utility to move the cursor every so often is the answer.

I also purchased this tablet for remote gaming using steam in home streaming. Like the above poster, I find it frustrating that gamepad inputs don't prevent the screen from dimming during gameplay. It is unacceptable that there isn't the option to disable dimming altogether.

Has anyone attempted to reach out to Samsung about this issue?

Please check out the link I have above. The dimming is intended behavior due to the different type of technology used in the display, which is more susceptible for burn-in than current LCD's. (it trades deep blacks and vibrant colors for a reduced lifespan/degradation over time)

It's not exactly an issue... the screen needs to be dimmed, because otherwise it won't last. I want it to dim. However the software that recognizes if video is being played (and video isn't as hurtful as static images) doesn't seem to work all that well. I'm mostly using Kodi to play videos, and there the screen is dimmed.

This guy is correct!

Wallaboom

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
You can go into the Registry and edit the time-out delay to 100 + minutes if you so desire. Even though it will increase risk of screen burn due to SMOLED. Let me know and I can send instructions of where the key is at.

z10m

Jan 20, 2017
Visit site
You can go into the Registry and edit the time-out delay to 100 + minutes if you so desire. Even though it will increase risk of screen burn due to SMOLED. Let me know and I can send instructions of where the key is at.
Please share this with us. I know how to prevent screen burn in without Samsung forcing me to touch the screen every 10 minutes when watching videos.
Thank you.

Wallaboom

Jan 18, 2017
Visit site
Perfect, and happy to help! Also if anyone needs the location of the full driver packages (BIOS update, Samsung Extra AMOLED settings, etc.) please let me know. Just know it can be hard/tough to reinstall the Settings portion after a clean wipe/refresh.

Thanks,

Last edited:

xRaptor5150x

Jun 16, 2019
Visit site
Perfect, and happy to help! Also if anyone needs the location of the full driver packages (BIOS update, Samsung Extra AMOLED settings, etc.) please let me know. Just know it can be hard/tough to reinstall the Settings portion after a clean wipe/refresh.

Thanks,

Please tell me where to get this I just got this tablet used so there are no samsung settings not even in regedit.

Sorry if this is a little old.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes