Update question

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Just found this on the comments section for the network disconnect trick posting. Credits to phaboman

Here's my alternative solution based on the same principle.

1.) Disconnect your computer from the internet (ethernet cable out/wifi turned off)

2.) Turn OFF the cellular data on your phone. Turn ON wifi, and leave your phone on this screen (wifi is more consistent than cell signal)

3.) Connect your phone to your computer via USB.

4.) Turn on Zune software.

5.) Under Settings and Phone, go to Update. You should get the message "You're up to date."

6.) Select a different menu item below Update

7.) Select Update in the menu again, this time at "four-one-thousand" tap to toggle wifi off on your phone. If you get "You're up to date," then you're hitting it too late. If you get "Can't check for updates right now," then you're hitting it too early. The exact timing may vary across tries. It took me about 5.

8.) At this point, I got option to update my phone to 7403. Reconnect your computer to the internet before proceeding. If you don't get the update, then rinse and repeat steps 6-7.

9.) After the 7403 update is complete, remember to turn your phone wifi back on before checking for the 7720 update. I managed to get the 7720 update without the wifi-toggle trick.

This method gives me a more consistent outcome, i.e. I know I need to disconnect the wifi on handset at about 3-4 seconds. There are a few occasions where I know I've disconnected at that sweet spot as it hangs on the "checking for updates" message. But then goes to "can't check for updates" error.

If it wasnt for the fact that the Omnia 7 is such a beautifully aesthetic handset, I would have thought twice about going with this phone...

matejwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just found this on the comments section for the network disconnect trick posting. Credits to phaboman

This method gives me a more consistent outcome, i.e. I know I need to disconnect the wifi on handset at about 3-4 seconds. There are a few occasions where I know I've disconnected at that sweet spot as it hangs on the "checking for updates" message. But then goes to "can't check for updates" error.

If it wasnt for the fact that the Omnia 7 is such a beautifully aesthetic handset, I would have thought twice about going with this phone...

Same here...
Got a response from Samsung, didn't really answer anything (Dutch):
''De Mango upgrade is sinds 26-09-2011 beschikbaar en kan ook gebruikt worden voor de Samsung Omnia 7.
Het kan zijn dat u uw toestel momenteel niet kunt upgraden, dat komt dan door de drukte wat nu heerst
omdat heel veel mensen de update tegelijk op hun toestel proberen te krijgen. Wij vragen u om het
nogmaals te proberen op een later tijdstip mocht de update niet lukken met uw toestel.''

Translation:
''The Mango upgrade is available since 23-09-2011 and can also be installed on the Samsung Omnia 7. If you are not able to upgrade, it could be because it's very busy at the time because so many people want to install it on their phones at the same time. We recommend that you try it later if the update doesn't succeed on your phone.''

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Same here...
Got a response from Samsung, didn't really answer anything (Dutch):
''De Mango upgrade is sinds 26-09-2011 beschikbaar en kan ook gebruikt worden voor de Samsung Omnia 7.
Het kan zijn dat u uw toestel momenteel niet kunt upgraden, dat komt dan door de drukte wat nu heerst
omdat heel veel mensen de update tegelijk op hun toestel proberen te krijgen. Wij vragen u om het
nogmaals te proberen op een later tijdstip mocht de update niet lukken met uw toestel.''

Translation:
''The Mango upgrade is available since 23-09-2011 and can also be installed on the Samsung Omnia 7. If you are not able to upgrade, it could be because it's very busy at the time because so many people want to install it on their phones at the same time. We recommend that you try it later if the update doesn't succeed on your phone.''

Thanks for that information.

Hmm, if thats what Samsung is saying, then whose to blame? I remember reading somewhere that the fault lies with Samsung for the delay in rolling out Mango, but this now gives the indication that T-Mobile is causing the delay? As other omnia 7 users on orange uk are able to update to mango. This is seriously frustrating.

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Am from Australia, using Omnia 7 unlocked, but having a boot up logo of Deutsche telekom. I cant update mine either. tried the force trick countless times. Did not even go for my boxing classes. Now I wanna punch my phone!

GekkoAce

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I got my Omnia Mango update just fine. I had to force it using that method, but it didn't take many tries for it to magically say there was an update available :)

Sent from my OMNIA7 using Board Express

LivinginaBox

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I did the trick update and everything went fine till the moment I tried to setup my device. (unlocked Omnia 7 device on T-Mobile, the Netherlands) I reset the device to factory defaults. I have used my device with US settings and wanted to change them to Dutch settings. This didn't work as great as expected. During the setup it reverted back to... Portugese (?) I was not able to get the Samsung Zone in Marketplace and I missed some apps that were previously available. Trying to change al the settings to Dutch again kept me on the same result. Then I tried it all on another Samsung device (my daughter's) and that worked all fine. No problems on that devices and everything works smooth. This made me decide to do the factory reset again on my own device. Still went back to Portugese settings, but now it saved all the settings to Dutch and Samsung Zone is now available.

One little remark, not all Samsung apps seem to work on the Omnia 7. Allshare can be installed but is unsupported (?). Search in Marketplace on Samsung gives some additional apps, High Fideliy positioning and 'geavanceerde tekstberichten'. Both will go to the systempage. That last settings app doesn't seem to work either (cell broadcast message Off), nothing can be changed here.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Ah, great. I'd seen that post but wasn't sure whether he meant he had to get the firmware update outside of Zune (various Samsung firmwares seem to be available elsewhere).

Useraid

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
T-Mobile branded here. Updated to 7232 using disconnect trick but then no more. Is TM going to turn on update or does phone have to be unlocked, debranded to update you think?

matejwp

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've had it... After Samsung and MS and T-Mobile failed to help me, i decided to fix it myself. I flashed my Omnia 7 with a clean (unbranded) Samsung ROM, and I'm currently running Mango.
I've downloaded this ROM from samfirmware.com: I8700XXJK1 ## 2010 November I8700XENJK1 DOWNLOAD WP7_Product
Here you will find more about flashing your Omnia 7 - Got a “bricked” Samsung Omnia 7 Windows Phone? Here’s the fix | WinRumors
PS: Instead of downloading the flashtool provided, look for WP7 Downloader v. 7.41 on Google
PPS: When your Phone goes into Download Mode, you don't have to wait 10 minutes. It's waiting for you to start flashing.(Just saying, because i waited 30 minutes and nothing happened :D)
PPPS: This ROM contains build 7004, so you'll have to update it through Zune to 7720 (in my case I had to force the updates from 7392 on)
PPPPS: DO NOT DISCONNECT. It will reboot twice (I wasn't paying attention and disconnected after the first reboot, almost created a very expensive brick!)

Last edited:

krempasd

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
i have a AT&T samsung focus but its unlocked for bell modility canada, and im getting really impatient waiting for the update message anyone know if i will even get the update ??????

karupin

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So, T-Mobile UK, Samsung and Microsoft were all passing the buck, pointing at each other for the blame of the Omnia 7 not receiving the updates. Initially I thought this was a problem with the handset, so ultimately Samsung to blame.

However, why are Omnia 7 handsets on 3 UK and Orange UK, amongst other network carriers over the world updating?

This link from T-Mobile UK's (pathetic) support forum tells us whats happening with their mango updates:

T-Mobile Discussions - Discussions - Software updates

So, the problem lies with T-Mobile, surely they should have been doing all their testing weeks ago like other carriers were???!!!

Totally unacceptable from T-Mobile.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, its good to see some of you have been able to get the update and have had no problems installing. I on the other hand have had abit of an issue, here is the run down.

I have my Omnia 7 on Orange UK and it was chevron unlocked (though i do have the option to legit unlock since i am a student). I had to force update my phone to NoDo back when the whole nodo fiasco happened as Orange UK did not officially push the update until about a month after its official MS release. I kept the phone in "chevron unlocked NoDo" mode until i heard the old force update trick worked on Mango. So i figured i would give it a try. [By the way I IMEI unlocked my phone the first chance i could in December 2010 :)]

I was able to get the pre-mango update to turn up no problem using the force update trick and it installed fine. I then did the force update trick again and this time the final mango update turned up and i installed that. Phone restarted fine and all was good with the world when i saw the new WP7 Logo :) But it was when i started to inspect things further that i discovered afew problems. First was the absence of the Samsung Zone and Orange Selects in the marketplace this had me worried but i figured that it was just a problem with the marketplace needing an update or something. I have seen on this thread afew other share this problem, has there been any resolution found to this? Could be the update we are getting by forcing it have some carrier config settings missing?

I then find out that my sideloaded apps were no longer working, but i was certain that since my phone was already chevron unlocked and my interop value in the registry was already above 300 (2173456 to be exact) that this would not be a problem but it turned out I was wrong. After that I attempted to sideload Heathcliff's Interop solution for Mango but my phone would not have any of it and my app deployment tools ( tried Toms & Windows Dev) kept saying my phone was not connected, i did afew resets and the problem still persisted (windows based applications were all run in admin mode).

At this point i pretty much decided Mango was for me incomplete as i could not sideload any apps so I resolved to restore my phone to Nodo (Chev unlocked mode) and then try the interop reg key again in nodo since mango was being problematic. But my restore failed and my phone got locked in the restore cycle that i think is described by one of the posters above. Rather than flash my phone to a vanilla rom as the previous poster did (as i want to keep access to things like orange maps since i pay extra for it) i just called up orange and explained to them that my phone was in a restore cycle; the orange team pretty much did not bother trying to resolve it and just said we will send you a new phone tomorrow, I got the new phone and it was loaded with 7004. Thing is i think it was due to my lack of space on the phone that it got locked in restore cycle but meh got a new phone 5gb of space free now.

So I chevron unlocked it, loaded the latest wp7 root tools and samsung tools and configured the "do not relock" via samsung tools. I then rebooted and connected to Zune this time it pulled down the pre-nodo update. I installed and tested some side-loaded apps all work fine. I then installed Nodo (via force method not sure why it still does not auto turn up) i checked that sideloaded apps still worked and they do. So pretty much my new phone is where my old one was until my attempt at Mango update.

What i want to know is , has anyone else experienced the lack of samsung zone and orange selects (or any carrier/manufacturer specific) Marketplace sub sections? Also any ideas on why my interop and sideloaded apps did not work when i went Mango? I was very thorough in my reading of instructions here and on XDA. And lastly at this point does any have a suggestion to ensuring my interop passes from NoDo to Mango?

Sorry for the wall of text but i felt since this is a Omnia 7 thread i would put all the details of what i did and see if any other are having the same problem on either orange or other vendors of the omnia 7.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
waving.gif

welcome.gif

Don't know anything about if the Chevron unlocker's causing your problems but my Samsung zone remeained intact after my Mango update here spliffmonkey187.

I have a standard Omnia 7 here on the 3 network and used the Zune forced method.

There are numerous posts about Omnia 7's on Orange losing the zone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/181163.htm

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-7-os-discussion/181391.htm

Perhaps now that Orange UK are now delivering their Mango update the problem will be fixed.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hiya TheWeeBear, thanks for the warm welcome mate :) Yes not only did my Orange Selects go missing but also the Samsung Zone. After doing so more reading i am begin to believe that the forced update is not a carrier sanctioned version of the mango update. That may explain the missing carrier customisation like Orange Selects & Samsung Zone. I also suspect that if you have a omnia 7 on a network that sells the phones locked (to maintain carrier identity) then this forced update may have afew issues.

Again this is all supposition at this point but i am in the process of talking to orange and finding out exactly whats going on and why it is i am not getting a message saying your official mango update for WP7 is available via Zune or my phone via carrier network check.

Once i know more details i will post up and share what i learn maybe i will learn something that might help others avoid the pitfalls i fell into. For now though i will not be joining the mango party sadly :( But we will see what transpires. Will keep in touch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)