Why is Mango on Omnia 7s delayed?

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but why is it (this time - last time it was the focus) that Mango is still in testing for some UK carriers?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Think in the UK everyone is getting Mango apart from T-Mobile podsnap. Probably something to do with their hardware, Samsung made a slight boo boo by having 2 different versions of a specific piece of hardware in their Omnia 7's, something along those lines anyway.

It caused big problems for the NoDo update and Microsoft withdrew the update for Omnia 7's for a while.

And T Mobile are just slower than everyone else at testing Mango too of course lol

It might be out for T Mobile now and Microsoft haven't yet updated their schedule, you never know.

(Just looked and it was updated 2 days ago, so T Mobiler's are probably still waiting) :(

Last edited:

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks TheWeeBear. I'm on Virgin Mobile (which uses the T-Mobile network) so probably have to wait like them.

Hopeing that when it's released I'll finally get my firmware updated and so be able to use all those lovely Mango apps!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks TheWeeBear. I'm on Virgin Mobile (which uses the T-Mobile network) so probably have to wait like them.

Hopeing that when it's released I'll finally get my firmware updated and so be able to use all those lovely Mango apps!
Yes probably podsnap, hoping the update's not too far away for you, so you can join in all the Mango juciness too. :)

anon(5327487)

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and still waiting... I've tried the force update trick most days since the launch of Mango but it just isn't working. As annoying as it is, I'm still in love with my Omnia 7 so I don't mind playing the patience game!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm on T-Mobile and still waiting... I've tried the force update trick most days since the launch of Mango but it just isn't working. As annoying as it is, I'm still in love with my Omnia 7 so I don't mind playing the patience game!
How could you not be in love with the Omnia, you dubious pig! em i mean DubiousPig LOL ;)

Hope your patience of a Saint doesn't have to last much longer. :)

Last edited:

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I tried the force update DubiousPig and it kinda worked.

It updated everything except the firmware, so lots of Mango apps don't work because they can't access the relevant bits of hardware.

As I say, I'm hoping when the update is finally out it will sort out my firmware and I'll be happy.

spliffmonkey187

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey there Podsnap, TheWeeBear is correct in saying that most of the UK carriers are pushing "a" Mango update, some are still not officially stating they are giving a 100% yes to deployment, whether you get it via force method or by being one of the lucky people to get it officially you will find that in many cases especially when it comes to samsung phones and the omnia 7 in particular that the FW may not be updated, this may be due to a particular carrier not having it as part of their mango deployment, there are ways to force the FW update but I would say do not bother until your carrier gives an official word on the status of your phones mango update, you can also try contact Samsung and find out whats going on.

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks spliffmonkey187, tried to contact Samsung twice now. Each time they say my case has been escalated an will get back to me the following day, each time nothing.

I'll wait until it's definate that all carriers are pushing the update and hope that the firmware gets updated then.

If not I guess I'll have to try forcing the firmware as well. (Something I don't want to resort to.)

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to butt in here podsnap, but i just plugged my Omnia into the Samsung update tool and was informed that my phone needed a binary update. (Whassat?)

Done it, and it updated fine but no version numbers changed so i'm at a loss what was updated LOL

Just thought i'd share my mysterious update with you. :)

Last edited:

podsnap

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hey TheWeeBear, yeah, I spotted that too.

It says it regardless. You can perform the operation any number of times and everytime it says you need a binary update.

I think it doesn't actually check anything, it's just lazy programming!

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey TheWeeBear, yeah, I spotted that too.

It says it regardless. You can perform the operation any number of times and everytime it says you need a binary update.

I think it doesn't actually check anything, it's just lazy programming!
Ah right, I never bothered trying it again podsnap. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes