Omnia 7, 8107 & tethering?

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm losing patience now with T-Mobile ever getting around to releasing 8107. So, before I remove the T-Mobile branding from my Omnia I have just one question: Does an unbranded Omnia 7 get the 8107 update and have tethering enabled?

Unbranded Omnia's with 7740 don't have have tethering (at least that I've seen), and that's been the only thing preventing me from taking this approach already.

Thanks

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm losing patience now with T-Mobile ever getting around to releasing 8107. So, before I remove the T-Mobile branding from my Omnia I have just one question: Does an unbranded Omnia 7 get the 8107 update and have tethering enabled?

Unbranded Omnia's with 7740 don't have have tethering (at least that I've seen), and that's been the only thing preventing me from taking this approach already.

Thanks
Don't know the answer to that one. But I guess you could always de-brand and, if you discover that the unbranded 8107 doesn't have tethering enabled, just re-brand again and wait.

Saying that, unless you already have a ROM downloaded you may have trouble getting hold of one. I've been looking for ROMs for a few days now, but all the links from places like XDA Developers to download sites seem to be broken.

It's frustrating for sure. I was thinking of going to another carrier when my contract is up at the end of the year. But I have found that Three (who I'm currently with) are actually pretty good with updates.

I was considering either T-Mobile or Orange, but have heard that folks on Orange are still waiting for 8107 and they've not been given an ETA for it either.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Sure, I could do that. But then I know sod's law means I'd end up back on T-Mobile branded 7740 and having to re-setup everything on my phone for no benefit, and that would just make me angry.

I called T-Mobile on another matter yesterday and asked about the update, whilst I was on the phone to them anyway. The guy tried to fob me off saying I had to check with Samsung for the update. I don't blame him. I blame inadequate staff training from T-Mobile.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I have found that Three (who I'm currently with) are actually pretty good with updates.

Hi. Does this mean your Three branded Omnia 7 has 8107, or are you still on 7740?

I'll rebrand to Three if necessary. I think I have the appropriate files downloaded from when I had to mess around to get Mango in a reasonable timeframe.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Gutted.

Got all excited for a while there, till I realised that I don't have the Three ROM downloaded, and I can't get it anymore - multiupload, where all the ROMs on XDA were stored has gone bye-bye.

Guess I'm left swearing at useless T-mobile for a while longer...

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I've found the three ROM. So, over the weekend I'll try loading a retail image and see if I get tethering. If I don't then I'll load the three one instead.

All T-Mobile are doing is guaranteeing that my next phone won't have anything to do with them.

perbear

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
Hello TGBMark1234,
A year down the line I hope that you have been able to update correctly to the latest versions. Though 8107 was not difficult to upgrade to way back when (early 2012), moving forward has proved to be an obstacle for me. I have even tried a HARD RESET, which should leave me with a factory set Omnia 7, which I then could update to the latest and greatest version available on my carrier. Not so. It is stuck on 8107 and while it finds an update 8112. 7 it does not complete the update. It has even gone as far as I am not able to re-install my purchased apps any more. And THAT irritates me a lot.
I'm wondering if not Samsung Omnia 7 left the production line with a few imperfections ("critical faults") that never will be corrected, whatever Samsung fixes are sending out.

kivancio

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It's available in T-Mobile Deutschland version of Omnia 7 since 7720. I'm using tethering for almost 1 year or more i guess.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb