Smoked by a Windows Phone

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
welcome.gif

No, there were 2 who beat him today. :D

Anyway, welcome along to WPCentral pjbball04 :)

Anyone who owns a WP is awesome, we all know that. :D

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
This was a great move by MS. What better way to promote your platform than to openly say "yeah, I've got the balls to take on any phone!". And, it's all good fun. :)

Android nerds must be really scratching their heads when they go back to the paperwork and compare "the specs" again...

:p

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
an other reason why specs are over rated. lol

now if only clients could stop thinking bigger is better.

its all about how you use it :p ;)

EDIT: posted on FACEBOOK for ALL to see :p lol

Last edited:

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
One think I am curious about: I watched on video where he searched for a restaurant against a galaxy nexus. The titan beat the nexus, but it was close. Would the results have been different if both phones were on the same network?

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
One think I am curious about: I watched on video where he searched for a restaurant against a galaxy nexus. The titan beat the nexus, but it was close. Would the results have been different if both phones were on the same network?

I think they have to be on the same WiFI network

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm an idiot! Now I remember reading elsewhere that both phones were using a Microsoft hotspot.

Nah. I see what you really did.

You merely asked the question so that people who didn't see the video would be aware that both phones were on equal grounds.

You sneaky guy!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The phone that beat it was the iphone 4Gs... grrr why Apple!. Why do you make such a sexy device that's not capable of using Windows Phone T_T. I love the iphone but I dislike IOS.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I would have liked to seen some people make the challenges instead of the WP guy making them up. He definetly made challenges based on WP strengths, but I understand its marketing.

Also, to be fair, Android could do alot of the things WP does, with Widgets.

I wish I saw some Blackberry challengers. Lol

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I would have liked to seen some people make the challenges instead of the WP guy making them up. He definetly made challenges based on WP strengths, but I understand its marketing.

I think that sums up my issue with this whole thing - it's a series of rigged tests that yeah, look good as results at a very cursory glance, but ultimately concern functionality where tiny fractions of time won't actually matter to end users and also things don't look as good as soon as you pay a bit more attention.

OK, so WP beat an Android phone in e.g. posting a picture to Twitter by 1.3 seconds - good stuff. Now let's see who can make a Skype call the most quickly. Or who can shoot 1080p video. Or who can even do something as simple as toggle wifi on/off the fastest. Windows Phone would lose the latter and can't even do the former two, and that's why I just don't get on with the braggart style of marketing - it isn't classy, and it absolutely invites people to point out the obvious and then it all starts to backfire.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I think that sums up my issue with this whole thing - it's a series of rigged tests that yeah, look good as results at a very cursory glance, but ultimately concern functionality where tiny fractions of time won't actually matter to end users and also things don't look as good as soon as you pay a bit more attention.

OK, so WP beat an Android phone in e.g. posting a picture to Twitter by 1.3 seconds - good stuff. Now let's see who can make a Skype call the most quickly. Or who can shoot 1080p video. Or who can even do something as simple as toggle wifi on/off the fastest. Windows Phone would lose the latter and can't even do the former two, and that's why I just don't get on with the braggart style of marketing - it isn't classy, and it absolutely invites people to point out the obvious and then it all starts to backfire.

I can see where you're coming from, but this was merely a bit of fun. Also, I think it's fair to say that, generally, maps are used a lot more on a daily basis than Skype calls/1080p video; I don't question the validity of the tests.

M

mkr10001

there's always one....

its just a bit of fun

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Problem is, it's a bit of fun that gets people wound up because it has so many caveats and is so rigged because the tests are so specifically chosen (there are already youtube videos up about the "rematch" one moaning about how MS cheated). And that means yet more retaliatory WP bashing on tech forum threads, bad mouthing the platform and so on. WP succeeds when people try it and enjoy it for what it is and it cuts through their prejudices, and I can see this sort of "ha ha, in your face! We blew you away!" thing as being a turn off meaning they won't even give it a go (and - no offence to our US chums - it's a VERY Americanised way of selling/advertising something).

The main thing though is that if this is pushed to a full advertising campaign, I GUARANTEE a ton of videos on YouTube showing WP being "smoked" by other phones doing a lot of other things. A bit of fun could end up being quite bad PR.

M

mkr10001

Problem is, it's a bit of fun that gets people wound up because it has so many caveats and is so rigged because the tests are so specifically chosen (there are already youtube videos up about the "rematch" one moaning about how MS cheated). And that means yet more retaliatory WP bashing on tech forum threads, bad mouthing the platform and so on. WP succeeds when people try it and enjoy it for what it is and it cuts through their prejudices, and I can see this sort of "ha ha, in your face! We blew you away!" thing as being a turn off meaning they won't even give it a go (and - no offence to our US chums - it's a VERY Americanised way of selling/advertising something).

The main thing though is that if this is pushed to a full advertising campaign, I GUARANTEE a ton of videos on YouTube showing WP being "smoked" by other phones doing a lot of other things. A bit of fun could end up being quite bad PR.

what stuff would that be though? Would it be everyday stuff that everyday people would want to do? Like checking weather or posting a picture to Facebook? Or would it be something that only an android user would he bothered about doing?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb