Banning for violent, abusive posting?

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
So I'm curious why certain posters here with violent, abusive predilections are allowed to continue to post? I'm not going to name any names, but you all know who I'm talking about, which should tell you everything you need to know. Can someone clarify the policy? Because anyone who threatens physical harm, up to and including death threats (which I have received from this poster), should not be a welcome member of a community. They should be a persona non grata.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Have you reports the post? Please do report any offensive posts.

General statement to the community;

We can't be everywhere but we will respond to all reported posts. How we handel an issue with an individual member of these forums will never be made public. Please don't ask for clarification on any issue not directly related to you. You will be disappointed with the response.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I did report a post just today. And I don't want to make this personal, but I received a ban for a far inferior violation of the rules. The only difference being that I am not a blind ****** (like that certain person) and actually dare to be critical of WP. Which in this community sometimes seems to be the biggest crime of all...

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I think if we would all report more posts maybe this place could be a bit less confrontational like it used to be. I try to be respectful of other members even when I don't agree with their opinions.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
His violent posts on the main page and forum are always deleted, so a mod sees them. Yet he's still here. It's great that they're deleted, but...
For example.

Windows Phone sees slight dip in U.S. Marketshare | wpcentral | Windows Phone News, Forums, and Reviews

By arrow22 on Thu, 12 Jul 2012 5:32 pm EDT
What's wrong with you? I saw your previous post before it got removed... To say something like that because of a joke involving technology is NOT ok. Go outside, breath fresh air, and get some perspective.

His violent posts get deleted and yet he stays. And just today his abusive posts end up quoted (and deleted) threatening violence.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I think if we would all report more posts maybe this place could be a bit less confrontational like it used to be. I try to be respectful of other members even when I don't agree with their opinions.

Yeah, but that's really the job of the moderators. Maybe WPCentral needs more quality moderators... Back when I was young :) I used to be a mod on a rather big site and I know how much work it can be to manage a board as big as this one. There is a lot that goes into running a forum that people can't see from the outside. Maybe some new blood is needed...

Also, very important - adherence to thorough and precisely defined forum rules. The Terms and conditions should be clearly defined and prominently propagated. I can't even find them here. I know they are somewhere, I've seen them, but I can't even easily find them again... And the mods need to push them a lot harder then they do, IMO. And all the other small things that make up a moderation of a great forum, like splitting threads, making sure proper thread names are used (thread titles like "I Need Your Help !!!!" have little value) and all that jazz...

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
A few things. First the front page comments are handled differently than the forums. More remove the post than discipline the member thats just the way it is. Next see my previous post please review. Lastly never compare your situation with someone else YOU don't have all the facts and on these forums YOU wont get them.

This thread will remain open as long as the comments here in remain civil.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, but that's really the job of the moderators. Maybe WPCentral needs more quality moderators... Back when I was young :) I used to be a mod on a rather big site and I know how much work it can be to manage a board as big as this one. There is a lot that goes into running a forum that people can't see from the outside. Maybe some new blood is needed...

Also, very important - adherence to thorough and precisely defined forum rules. The Terms and conditions should be clearly defined and prominently propagated. I can't even find them here. I know they are somewhere, I've seen them, but I can't even easily find them again... And the mods need to push them a lot harder then they do, IMO. And all the other small things that make up a moderation of a great forum, like splitting threads, making sure proper thread names are used (thread titles like "I Need Your Help !!!!" have little value) and all that jazz...

Thanks you for your comments and suggestions. That was very helpfull.

The rules haven't been posted here because they weren't needed. I hate rules and I hate posting them even more. I guess because of a small minority here at WPC that must change I will get the official forums rules posted here as soon as I have time. I had hoped this community of a couple of hundred daily users could communicate with each other in a civil manner without a list of rules but because of one or two that insist on causing issues that changes. :mad: Our forums is growing I guess this is just growing pains.

MrBurrrns

Banned
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I think at least in this case, we have all the facts that we need. tekhna brought up an issue that is apparent to anybody who frequents this forum. It's up to you to judge it. But you should also realize that your actions (or their lack of) affect us all. And some people might not want to continue to visit a board where favoritism is clearly an issue.

Also, this is not the only issue recently, there has been another one just today that I PMed you about. I don't want to discuss that one here, just pointing out that these kind of issues keep increasing.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I think at least in this case, we have all the facts that we need. tekhna brought up an issue that is apparent to anybody who frequents this forum. It's up to you to judge it. But you should also realize that your actions (or their lack of) affect us all. And some people might not want to continue to visit a board where favoritism is clearly an issue.

Also, this is not the only issue recently, there has been another one just today that I PMed you about. I don't want to discuss that one here, just pointing out that these kind of issues keep increasing.

Your opinion is greatly valued here at WPC. I think you are confusing favoritism with your impatience. I would be spending time reviewing other situations on the forums but I seam to be spending most of my time today dealing with your opinion. We review what we can when we can the more time me and my team sped here in this thread the less time we have for other issues.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's about favoritism, I just think that the behavior of this particular poster should be a zero-tolerance thing, and it's a bit unsettling that it's not. Flame fests, trolls, arguments, they all happen, but threats are on another level that, in my opinion, should not be tolerated, period. I won't tell mods how to do their job, but I will say that this poster's behavior is disturbing and seriously adversely affects this community. The fact that no one has said his name, and we all know it is speaks volumes.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Judging by the PMs I've been getting thanking me for this thread, it seems like I've hit a nerve.

I will have to say that I have considered deleting my account because of the tone of some posters around here. Beside the member we are talking about in this thread I've seen other members tell posters they need to go to android central and I've also seen the number of likes a person has as justification for their opinion being right. Thanks for starting this thread, hopefully we can get this forum back to a less hostile more helpful place like it has been most of the time I've been a member.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I really think its just a few select individuals that are causing issues. Any ways your forum rules are now posted... :dry

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm. I really need to calm. Down. But I really can't handle people saying mean stuff about ms. Not fair. I'm trying to but this mean stuff here is really ticking me of. Also I suffer from anger problems so you guys will understand what I'm goin through :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think I second Danny. I have seen It too..I may have just joined a while back, but I have see some really strong words exchanged for something as petty as phone features. Its bizarre. Plz mods, I love this place, but these people, whoever they are and wherever they come from need to be civilized and controlled.

I am on other communities as well and the same arguments happen their too, albeit politely and peacefully.

PS: I love this place and I love WP8 two big reasons I'm here...

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.

12Danny123

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
I think I second Danny. I have seen It too..I may have just joined a while back, but I have see some really strong words exchanged for something as petty as phone features. Its bizarre. Plz mods, I love this place, but these people, whoever they are and wherever they come from need to be civilized and controlled.

I am on other communities as well and the same arguments happen their too, albeit politely and peacefully.

PS: I love this place and I love WP8 two big reasons I'm here...

Sent from my RaZr Nexus.
:)

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Hmm. I really need to calm. Down. But I really can't handle people saying mean stuff about ms. Not fair. I'm trying to but this mean stuff here is really ticking me of. Also I suffer from anger problems so you guys will understand what I'm goin through :)

Yes you do.

I will say it again the forums and the Blog are handled differently. The writers handle the comments in there threads along with Daniel. If a member of the Forums mod team sees something we might help out from time to time but that isn't our responsibility for the most part.

Daniel Rubino

Editor-in-chief
Staff member
Jan 19, 2006
Visit site
We moderate comments quite regularly on the front page but a couple of things:

• We do have regular "trolls" who get banned, create new screen-names and comeback
  • We implemented a new IP tracking and banning system, starting late last week, for front page comments
  • A lot of you don't help by replying back to these low-lifes. Seriously, you aren't helping when you respond back. Just ignore them and email us.
  • We barely get any reports or complaints about comments, so once again, if you see something, say something
  • "I'm not going to name any names, but you all know who I'm talking about" No, we don't. Name names or stop complaining. The only thing weaker than troll commentors is a community of users who refuse to bring attention to those in charge.
While we want this to be a friendly community and have a vibrant discussion, the larger we get, the more troublemakers we're going to receive. That's just the internet.

We'll try to do what we can but we also need your help to not instigate trolls and to report things when you see them. As we upgrade the CMS system in the next few weeks, users should have better tools for reporting comments directly and even hopefully downvoting.

Finally, for all the attention this may get we honestly don't have many complaints. Maybe...maybe I get one email a week on this topic, so let's keep this in perspective.

Dave Blake

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Daniel said "Just ignore them and email us."

That is how we name names we don't call out people in open forum. For those who don't know how to do that use the contact link at the top of every page.

To Note;
We have a report button on every post in the forum its the little clipboard on the bottom left of this post with the "!" on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99