I think Nokia and Microsoft have blown it

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The enthusiasts who read tech blogs already had their minds made up about wp8, good or bad. it is frustrating that the launch is so far behind the announcement, but the average person doesn't know anything about that. Today's announcement will not include a produced package on my 6:00 news, the way the iPhone invariably will...when these things hit store shelves, then ms and Nokia had better be ready to push it. I just hope the launch doesn't arrive a full month after iPhone 5...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

well you are safe there....it won't be one month....it will be TWO months after the iPhone.

I really thought Nokia would nail it here....and I think if this OS was theirs and their only we'd be seeing phones next week. This is all choreographed BS by Microsoft and they are killing their partner.

phreezerburn

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
In terms of design the Lumia 820 is a downgrade from the Lumia 800. Plus I still think anything bigger than 4 inches is too big for a phone, I know many will disagree, but it would have been smart for Nokia to offer a smaller screen size as well. Are these really the only phones Nokia will release this fall?
Right on target here. Since there appears to be nothing in the 900 that made it to the 920 that wasn't already apparent in the 800, no need for a paternity test. The 820 however looks like a brightly coloured HTC.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Folk WP8 needed to hit the street like yesterday. When apple comes out on the 12th for there big iPhone hype the thunder will be all apple. and it will stay that way, why? because the device will be ready. Nokia has been saying all along that it's WP8 that they are focusing on. well it's here and this this all they have to show for it. One nice device going you know where and one middle range device for everyone else. and yet still no date on when we can get it. This has also effect the market price of Nokia and Microsoft today as they both are down. Both MS and Nokia needed to make a statement today and they didn't too little too late yet again. Investors are very leery about Win8 on the desktop/laptop MS need to hit hard with WP8 today with the joint hype should have been that day. I feel bad for people who are not on AT&T wanting a really nice WP8 Nokia device all they are going to get is a average 8gig device. Nokia needed to make that statement they had tons of time the 920 and 820 is all they could muster? I think that both Nokia and Microsoft blew it big time today and so do Investors. For MS they can weather it out for Nokia they don't have that option. the past two or three weeks Nokia was recommended as a buy long term. today that recommendation was downgraded.It says a lot.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
OK so it's been a few hours since the event, and my original feelings of disappointment have evaporated. I was leaning towards the ATIV, but after seeing the camera performance it's now a dead heat for me.

I also realized that a lot of my original disappointment had to do with the fact that the phones had been leaked days earlier which ruined the surprise.

The release date and carriers will be announced probably within a few days so it's not really a big deal for me since i'm in no rush to buy a phone at the moment.

And seeing the reaction to Motorola's event, it looks like even android fans are saying that Nokia had the better release.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP that they missed out on not capitalizing on the buzz today. Having the option to pre-order would have got the ball rolling nicely.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
I am excited for more and better devices, devices that should have been out with 7.5, but the event today just seemed to feel a Coen Brothers movie. I felt like things ended before we had all of the information.

I do wish that they didn't leak everything they did before hand. I think that is why a lot of us were like, "cool, what's next" as we already knew just about everything. Also, I think that is why we expected to see more.

The jabs a Samsung seem a little weak now...

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
yeah Nokia stock is tanking today. I feel not so much on the hardware, but the fact there is no carrier or date announcements. Investors want to see light at the end of the tunnel not smoke and mirrors.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I am excited for more and better devices, devices that should have been out with 7.5, but the event today just seemed to feel a Coen Brothers movie. I felt like things ended before we had all of the information.

I do wish that they didn't leak everything they did before hand. I think that is why a lot of us were like, "cool, what's next" as we already knew just about everything. Also, I think that is why we expected to see more.

The jabs a Samsung seem a little weak now...

If Samsung optics match or exceed iPhone5s it wins.....I hate to say it but it wins. HTC has an opening now, but I don't see them bringing anything but One series rehashes.

the disturbing thing is if you can only manage SD cards up to 32Gb in any WP8 device then microsoft has failed miserably.

sting7k

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
First of all I'll get this out of the way: The Lumia 920 is a great piece of hardware and I think the PureView technology will blow many people away... if they get to see it.
But we're now in September, just one week before the iPhone 5 reveal. What was there today to keep people interested beyond WPCentral readers who are already sold on Windows Phone?
There was no full OS reveal, no date, no price, no carrier availability, just the promise of great hardware.
When the iPhone 5 is announced next week, all of the above will be addressed and within an hour people will be placing preorders. Why doesn't Microsoft get it? Why not give people amazing incentive to not preoder an iPhone (again, people who don't read WPCentral)?
Am I completely crazy here?

I'm with you man, I completely agree. It's like Microsoft has it's head in the sand or no sense of urgency or strategy at all. These Lumia phones (and Surface) need to be on sale next week at the latest. What good is it to release all this stuff in late October after tens of millions of potential customers just ran out and lined up to buy iPhones and a cheap iPad Mini?

I sold my iPhone 4 last week and am ready to unload my Galaxy Nexus too. I have money in my pocket and am ready to buy a new phone. MS wants me to wait until October or November? I really dig the 920 but I just don't know if I will be able to hold out that long.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I suspect they cannot ship because they don't have product to sell.

Windows Phone 8 isn't done, and I'd expect that Nokia isn't even close to making L920s and L820s.

One reason Palm said "in the coming months" at CES 2009 was because the Pre hardware and webOS weren't even close to being completed when they showed off the prototypes.

Nokia and MS would have done better not showing anything at all this month than pulling the vaporware smoke-n-mirrors show. This was their last chance and they very well may have blown it.

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I already feel bad for HTC. They're holding an event in 2 weeks but the full OS will still be a mystery so I doubt many people will care.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
This is an opportunity for HTC.

Imagine the press event:

"Here are the HTC 8 series phones. The first REAL Windows Phones. While our competitors show vaporware and promises, we're delivering solid phones today with great features AND availability.

Meet the HTC Accord. Available on Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T for just $99 with two-year contract, the last week in October."

They'll get a LOT of sales from otherwise disgruntled WP people if they handle it that way.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I was 100% enthralled and engaged during Nokia's presentation. I was ready to buy a 920 immediately Then Belfiore took the stage and said that he would not be showing all of WP8 today. Fizzle. That was a complete wet blanket experience. Shame on MS for turning a positive event for Nokia into a let down.

There was good energy in the room for the first-half of the presentation but the second guy needed better media training (plus the demos fell to pieces) and then to finish with "WP8 has lots of cool things but I'm not going to reveal what most of them are" and then

"oh just one more thing... there is no shipping dates or prices".

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

Imagine the press event:

"Here are the HTC 8 series phones. The first REAL Windows Phones. While our competitors show vaporware and promises, we're delivering solid phones today with great features AND availability.

Meet the HTC Accord. Available on Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T for just $99 with two-year contract, the last week in October."

They'll get a LOT of sales from otherwise disgruntled WP people if they handle it that way.

You forgot to write the rest of the press release

"We promise to support these devices like we always have, by not fixing any bugs with the current hardware and coming out with new devices that include these fixes in less than 6 months"

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
There was good energy in the room for the first-half of the presentation but the second guy needed better media training (plus the demos fell to pieces) and then to finish with "WP8 has lots of cool things but I'm not going to reveal what most of them are" and then

"oh just one more thing... there is no shipping dates or prices".

yes he fell to pieces like the demo. It was like watching a train wreck in slow motion. I guess he was up all night partying....or maybe he was the one who ate jellybeans for breakfast.

Oh and Jo Harlow needs to don a moo moo or something else that makes her look less of a slob. Elop was the best dressed and that isn't saying much.

shingi_70

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking forward to the new phones. My only gripe is the 820 not having pureview.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Tahiti Bob

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site

Imagine the press event:

I doubt Microsoft will let them do that. If Nokia couldn't do it, no one will.
The way I see it, Microsoft will make all the announcements themselves when they hold their own event... some time in Q4.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You forgot to write the rest of the press release

"We promise to support these devices like we always have, by not fixing any bugs with the current hardware and coming out with new devices that include these fixes in less than 6 months"

I'm sure support from HTC will be better than support from Nokia for a device that exists merely as a demo on Youtube... :p

My Radar 4G works a lot better than the non-existent Lumia 900 for T-Mobile USA, after all.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I doubt Microsoft will let them do that. If Nokia couldn't do it, no one will.
The way I see it, Microsoft will make all the announcements themselves when they hold their own event... some time in Q4.

Then, alas, Windows Phone will fail.

This is the pivotal moment that decides whether there will be a duopoly of iOS and Android, or a three-way race including Windows Phone.

If Microsoft and its OEMs don't get devices out and competing within a few weeks of the iPhone release, then Windows Phone 8 might as well be BlackBerry 10.

ght

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I was really hoping to see something today that would make me want to come back to WP. Nokia's hardware looks sharp, but they're hamstrung waiting for MS to deliver the full OS to their beautiful hardware.

I had a HTC Trophy and was not unhappy with the hardware, but the OS was so lacking. I absolutely must have a notification center and better multitasking. I also need persistent WiFi. Without that, I wouldn't touch WP again if the phones were free. iOS is infinitely more usable, and I'm saying that even though I hate Apple. I really tried to love WP, but it just wasn't meeting my needs. I didn't see anything today that would change that. (I understand this was a Nokia/hardware event, not a MS/OS event.)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720