Suggestion for responding to comments.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Good day to all admin and moderators!! You are looking great today!!

Okay, brown nosing portion is over.

A few weeks ago I had a VERY long post from one of our fellow members I wished to respond to, it had a very good idea and it was very well thought out. Problem was, it was about 4 paragraphs. It makes for an unusably long response to repeat the entire post in a "respond to" selection, but I did not want to quote him to make it shorter due to responding to his idea, not a select portion of his post. (Real sexist of me. Could have been a her.)

My solution was to simply state "@username" and list his post number, such as #29. This struck me as a neat way to reference his post without taking up half a page repeating it. Could there be a chance of incorporating this into the selections for responses? It will make the following pages of a popular forum topic easier to navigate.

Just a suggestion that might help. Thank you for your attention. I now return you to your regularly scheduled crisis's.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Good tip. You know what I hate? When people quote an entire wall of text just to reply with one sentence, or worse, just one word.

The worst? When someone posts a bunch of pictures or one huge picture, and then people reply quote the post without taking out the images. Makes for a ton of unnecessary scrolling.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I COMPLETELY agree. I have noticed a disturbing trend of your pictures observation. It is adding half an hour of scrolling for no reason.

I also have noticed the quoting the entire previous post to only respond to one sentence. This totally ignores the tools we have. It's not a huge problem, just annoying in threads with a lot of discussions on the topic.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't see how this would work well on a mobile device.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
Why wouldn't it? I just selected the option to reply with comment on my Focus S, why not reply with comment number? Again, I am just thinking on reducing the scrolling on a response to a long post. Not replacing any option. It would just work like the other reply options.

Easy for me to say. I do not run the web site or have to write in the program. But, theoretically it may help cut down on scrolling.....

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Good tip. You know what I hate? When people quote an entire wall of text just to reply with one sentence, or worse, just one word...

Yeah, it's really aggravating, which is why I often cut the quote short with ellipses (...) to indicate something was snipped but that I kept a specific portion to reference in a response. I try to be thoughtful that way.

I used to hang out over at PPCGeeks, and they had implemented tagging as snowmutt suggested where you could @nickname and it would tag the user like on Twitter and Facebook. That triggered notifications (optional), and made it clear who was being addressed. There were some other triggers such as Post#36 that would link as well, but even better if there's a way to just make the quote block be a link back to the post rather than the actual quote itself.

Regardless of the final implementation, something along these lines would be a huge improvement.

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Great request. My other feature I would love to see is a thumbs up or +1 button on comments so that we don't have 3-4 comments below each intelligent post going +1.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234