What was so special in the announcement that SDK was delayed?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I am still trying to wrap my mind around why the SDK was not released a long time ago. I saw the presentation today and was wondering the whole time, "What is so amazingly special here that MS had to keep the SDK in a top secret safe in a top secret room in a top secret bunker in a top secret location for all this time?"

Just what was soooo special to keep developers (who we desperately need, by the way) from getting their hands on the WP8 SDK?

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
They are only interested initially in getting the big name apps into the store and have been working with those developers. This is what most customers will be asking for.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Most likely to just keep it secret from the prying eyes of other companies. Google loves to poach ideas these days so it was probably best to keep it as locked down as possible. I could be wrong but that's just my guess.

dkp23

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
They never announced Rooms, kids corner, and live apps until yesterday. It was all rumors and leaks, so they officially announced it yesterday.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Whats a live app? I thought that was just a MSFT terminology for apps on their platform because they are not static icons.

I have no issues only seeing the top developers get the SDK early. Gives devs a reason to try harder. Want that opportunity on wp9, give MS a reason.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The way I understand it, Live App has replaced the term "Live Tile."

Din't they say that Live Apps are the ones that can interact with other apps too? All apps "may" have live tiles but those live tiles that are able to interact via voice or UI with other apps are live apps e.g. lenses?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Din't they say that Live Apps are the ones that can interact with other apps too? All apps "may" have live tiles but those live tiles that are able to interact via voice or UI with other apps are live apps e.g. lenses?
Hmmm...you might be right. Now you got me thinking...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I watched the WP8 announcement. As I understood it, live apps are those apps which can display content on the lock screen, like Facebook. At least that was the context in which Microsoft mentioned the term.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
You might be right.

"Live Apps also can be pinned to users' lock screens. Out of the box, Windows Phone 8 will include several Live Apps -- email, messaging, calendar and the Windows Phone Store. The new and improved Microsoft Skype app for Windows 8 also can be put on the lock screen.

Microsoft will be allowing third-party developers to build Live Apps. These Live Apps can integrate with the lock screen, and also integrate into the new Windows Phone 8 Wallet and other hubs on the phone. The ability to choose among three different sizes of tiles as part of Windows Phone 8 OS."

Microsoft's Windows Phone 8 has live tiles and live apps | ZDNet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte