The "Jessica Alba" Factor

emergenic

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Let me say upfront that I love me some Jessica Alba...

In fact she is my secret-pretend-ex-girlfriend. ;-]

Poll: Do you think Jessica's appearance during the WP8 event helped or hurt the over all presentation?

Last edited:

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm skeptical in voting though. I am sure her presence did not help the presentation in itself but there is a following for Alba and even if she impresses 2% of that blind following, we have a bump in marketshare! So overall effect for Windows Phone 8 - yes she did! Presentation, not so much, but loved to see every sec of her on stage ;) #YummyMummy trended for a bit on Twitter!

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The presentation itself wasn't all that great. It seemed like she was told to ad lib, and she got a little nervous doing so.

But I've been told that she's going to part of a pretty big ad campaign for the holidays. And if that's true, then that's really good news for WP.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
She's hot, but likely accomplished nothing for the sales of WP8 phones, since most of the buyers probably didn't even know of, or watch the event.

As far as her participation in the presentation, it probably helped to have a big star there, though we learned more about her company than how she uses her phone.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Me personally, I don’t care who endorses a product, it means nothing to me and has never persuaded me to purchase a product. They all get paid for their time to do the endorsements. I buy a product because I like it. I couldn’t care less who else likes it or uses it.

While her presence didn’t hurt, to me it did nothing.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
She's smoking hot so it can't go wrong! :D

She did seem quite nervous for whatever reason, I dont know if it was that special for the presentation itself but as said, if even some of her followers sorta get interested in WP8, it's a huge bonus! Also, I think this was much better than just have some random celeb do a concert at the event.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
She's hot, but likely accomplished nothing for the sales of WP8 phones, since most of the buyers probably didn't even know of, or watch the event.
THIS

As far as her participation in the presentation, it probably helped to have a big star there, though we learned more about her company than how she uses her phone.
Yeah, it was a barter: She plugs WP8 and Microsoft helps market her company. Just get her on some TV commercials talking about Kids Corner and you can almost guarantee the soccer moms will start buying WP8.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
It was a bit awkward watching her stand there with her legs crossed most of the time.

She was nervous but Joe did a decent job of directing her. She was only there to say that Kids Corner helps her. That was the segway. Then she added additional info about how everyone who sees her phone loves how its catered to her likes and really shows who she is.

All I learned from Joe's Kids is that without a lock, kids corner is useless without parental interaction. Not even sure how it works with a lock screen. If the screen locks, can kids still get to kids corner or will you need a unlock code to get to any aspect of the phone? This is why I hope that from lock screen kids can only go to the left to get to kids corner without unlock. Then they cannot get to anything else without unlock code. Just like using the camera from a locked device. Camera works, but thats all you can do. Can't even delete pictures you take.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Not even sure how it works with a lock screen. If the screen locks, can kids still get to kids corner or will you need a unlock code to get to any aspect of the phone? This is why I hope that from lock screen kids can only go to the left to get to kids corner without unlock.
That's exactly how it works. You'll be able to get to Kids Corner on a locked screen. Belfiore's phone wasn't locked so he could go through his presentation easier, but it negatively affected the Kids Corner demo because people couldn't see the full effect of the kid not being able to enter a locked screen.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
That's exactly how it works. You'll be able to get to Kids Corner on a locked screen. Belfiore's phone wasn't locked so he could go through his presentation easier, but it negatively affected the Kids Corner demo because people couldn't see the full effect of the kid not being able to enter a locked screen.

Thats good.

Old_Cus

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Jessica is alright (kinda young for my old *ss)

Now get Salma Hayek and I'll be glued to my monitor!

(who am I kidding, wp8 alone was enough to keep me glued) ;)

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Even with her nervousness it was nothing but a positive. If she becomes a spokesperson she'll sell phones for sure.

Salma was always my favorite too. I guess that means I'm old.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Guess my counter question would be, would the event have been better with or without her? At the end of the day, its all marketing and trying to appeal to a bigger audience. People on forums like this are not the intended audience for a celeb like her.

Accordingly, I voted she was awesome. Don't see any downside to her appearance.

rockonit

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Agree with Squatting Hen...who endorses the product is meaningless to me. Interesting that she can get one as well as all of the kids but the ordinary Joe or Jill can't even get word on a release date of the equipment.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to the guy who actually delivered the Lumia 920 to her.

This is going to be much more than just an appearance at a launch event.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Wait, delivered to her house? He knows where she lives and got to see the inner realm? Lucky.

Ummm, not sure how that stalker got a hold of my login. I will go change my password. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786