No way to tell if forum has new posts.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
With the old forum we could easily see which sub-forum had new posts. That forum had a icon or something (I can't remember) that indicated it had new posts. And when you read all the posts, the icon changed to something else, which indicated there are no new posts. Unfortunately, with this new forum style all the icons are static and do not represent new or no new posts at all.

CrackBerry Kevin

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. We still have some tweaks to make, including adding the Mark Forum Read buttons as well as state indicators as you're discussing.

Stay tuned!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
With the old forum we could easily see which sub-forum had new posts. That forum had a icon or something (I can't remember) that indicated it had new posts. And when you read all the posts, the icon changed to something else, which indicated there are no new posts. Unfortunately, with this new forum style all the icons are static and do not represent new or no new posts at all.

Thanks for the info here Rob... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I 'thought' sub-forums would sort of 'light up' if there was new action since your last visit?

I'm going to do some digging around on this and make it happen.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info here Rob... Correct me if I'm wrong, but I 'thought' sub-forums would sort of 'light up' if there was new action since your last visit?

I'm going to do some digging around on this and make it happen.

Right, it was something like that. Maybe the forum header was bolded? Honestly, I can't remember. But there was a visual cue that indicated there were new posts since my last visit or since the last time I marked the forum as read.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Is there also a way to show new posts in threads where I have posted?

I do not subscribe to many threads, since the emails would get out of hand if I did.

I used to be able to search my posts and the envelope icon would show if there were new posts in that thread since I last posted. Now I cannot tell if there are new posts since my last post when I search my posts.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Right, it was something like that. Maybe the forum header was bolded? Honestly, I can't remember. But there was a visual cue that indicated there were new posts since my last visit or since the last time I marked the forum as read.

Got it. We'll sort it out over here and let you know when it is implemented!

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Is there also a way to show new posts in threads where I have posted?

I do not subscribe to many threads, since the emails would get out of hand if I did.

I used to be able to search my posts and the envelope icon would show if there were new posts in that thread since I last posted. Now I cannot tell if there are new posts since my last post when I search my posts.

So if I read this correctly... you'd like to have some visual cues available so that you could see at a glance any new responses within your threads... WITHOUT email notifications. Obviously notifications would take care of this... but an at-a-glance 'visual' cue is what you're suggesting?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site

Rob,

The visual cues for subdomains have been added. If new action is in a subforum, the 'speech bubble' icon turns a bright blue... otherwise the icon remains a light grey... let me know if this is what you were hoping for!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So if I read this correctly... you'd like to have some visual cues available so that you could see at a glance any new responses within your threads... WITHOUT email notifications. Obviously notifications would take care of this... but an at-a-glance 'visual' cue is what you're suggesting?
I used to see open or closed envelope icons when I would check my posts, so I could tell if the threads I posted in had new posts. Now I just see a blue icon, but I have no idea if anyone else posted in that thread.

For someone as active on the forums as I am, notifications would drive me bonkers. Therefore, I only subscribe to a few threads, not every thread I post in.

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I used to see open or closed envelope icons when I would check my posts, so I could tell if the threads I posted in had new posts. Now I just see a blue icon, but I have no idea if anyone else posted in that thread.

For someone as active on the forums as I am, notifications would drive me bonkers. Therefore, I only subscribe to a few threads, not every thread I post in.

Laura,

We can probably fix that up for you!

However... (just throwing this out there).... what if you subscribed to threads via the 'through control panel only' option? That way you wouldn't be overwhelmed with email notifications...

James

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Laura,

We can probably fix that up for you!

However... (just throwing this out there).... what if you subscribed to threads via the 'through control panel only' option? That way you wouldn't be overwhelmed with email notifications...

James
That's true. Still, it's easier to not need to unsubscribe later. Some old threads get resurrected months later, but at that point I am done with them for the most part.

I tend to only follow current threads.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
James, I apologize I haven't been on the forum in quite some time. One reason was lack of time, and the other is the problem I addressed in my initial post. I do see that you created the little chat bubble icon that is either light gray (no new posts) or very dark blue (new posts). Thanks for that. However, it still does not address my initial post. Let's say you log in and are at the root of the forum. Take a look at the WPCENTRAL COMMUNITY section. There's no way to tell if Introductions, Off Topic, General MS News, or WP Central Contests have new posts based on its icon. The icon for each forum is static and never changes to indicate new posts or no new posts. So in order to see if a forum has new posts, rather than just glancing from the root forum for an icon change, I must go into each forum individually to see if there are new posts.

Last edited:

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya loud and clear... thanks for the heads' up on this. I've put it on my 'to do' list. Please contact me if you have any more suggestions, it is much appreciated!

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I hear ya loud and clear... thanks for the heads' up on this. I've put it on my 'to do' list. Please contact me if you have any more suggestions, it is much appreciated!

Suh-weet! Thanks, brother! I really hope you can pull it off.

Maybe you could have the "new post" icons have the WP7/8 blue notification strip at the top. And the "no new posts" icon just be the standard icon you have now for each forum.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My Nokia Lumia 822 on Verizon with the WPCentral App keeps me easily informed about new posts Browse>Forums>Recent which is great. When I access this web site from my PC, I can't always find the same Recent posts? I've tried "New Posts" and "Today's Posts"?

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leviwilkersion