WP Central on WP8 paid but others free

JurayiBkk

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just got Lumia 920 since last Friday and I'm searching for WP Central App, absolutely there. But I'm having one big question, why WP Central App on Windows Mobile is not free while other operation system - Androids - is free.

I'm not that much serious to pay few buck for this great app but curious to know why not encourage Windows Mobile users install more.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It is free in the trial version, which is supported by ads. We give the option to pay and remove ads plus gain premium features like the live tile to support the development of it, I have put more hours than I can possibly count into this app and the payments are my only income from all that work.

It is for that reason that it's the cheapest an app can be. Hopefully the repeated updates and app quality are considered worth the price of a cheap cup of coffee

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
It's actually one of the best apps on the market, esp for a site with a forum. Forum integration on mobile is no fun, and it's impressive how it was done in the app. I paid for it on WP7 and reinstalled on WP8 for no charge, and it's worth far more than what is charged. I haven't looked at the Android app, but I'd be interested to know if it has the same feature set.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I just got Lumia 920 since last Friday and I'm searching for WP Central App, absolutely there. But I'm having one big question, why WP Central App on Windows Mobile is not free while other operation system - Androids - is free.

I'm not that much serious to pay few buck for this great app but curious to know why not encourage Windows Mobile users install more.

It's Windows Phone, not Windows Mobile.

The app is well worth the money. It's kind of incredible how much there is to it. The forums integration is amazing. Get it.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Not that I'm unwilling to spend a few bucks on quality apps (especially after I bought my Lumia 820 sim-free for ?380); and I also agree that Devs need income as much as anyone...

...but my question is: How come the Android versions are free?
Don't get me wrong - the app is worth the money alright, but how come android users get most of their stuff on the house?

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Fair question, in terms of financials Android apps in general make far more money from advertisers than Windows Phone apps. But in terms of specifics for us, I personally believe that our app is of a higher quality, therefore a premium model is available. As always the trial remains totally free and will never expire.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Jay if someone feels that the app is worth more than a cheap cup of coffee, is there a way to donate besides purchasing the app? Like an incentive or funding for future projects? :wink:

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
In the past some very nice people have sent me money via PayPal, but I would encourage you to hold on to your money for now until v4, after that maybe I'll feel like fundraising!

Also we haven't yet decided on what model the Windows RT version will be funded, so sit tight :)

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Just posted the same question few hours ago, thanks to Jay who explained it all to me, I've been using Board express to brows the forums, wasn't so bad. But after using the WP app, man that was perfect for me. I'm actually planning to pay for the app and get the premium features.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Quick question Jay if you're willing to share, how much do you make on the app?

I'm afraid I won't share exact figures but I will give you these statistics:

- The app has been downloaded approximately 120,000 times (trial and full versions combined)
- Microsoft takes 30% of all app revenue
- I make no money from the free version, the current adverts advertise other apps in an attempt to boost the ecosystem

tim3804

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I paid for the app but phone crashed and it was gone so I re downloaded it. Is there a way to get full version back?? I will pay again

Twitter@Firas_MD

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid I won't share exact figures but I will give you these statistics:

- The app has been downloaded approximately 120,000 times (trial and full versions combined)
- Microsoft takes 30% of all app revenue
- I make no money from the free version, the current adverts advertise other apps in an attempt to boost the ecosystem

As an end user .. I tthink that you guys thought about it, but here in going to say it.
If there was a "free"-labeled app version in the store, im almost sure the download number will greatly increased which will will turn the adverts heads towards the app, in turn more money for you.
This might be silly , but, once again im talking from an end-user point of view.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
As an end user .. I tthink that you guys thought about it, but here in going to say it.
If there was a "free"-labeled app version in the store, im almost sure the download number will greatly increased which will will turn the adverts heads towards the app, in turn more money for you.
This might be silly , but, once again im talking from an end-user point of view.

From our point of view, by maintaining one XAP all downloads and reviews go together which gives us better exposure on the store, and keeps us towards the top of the "top paid" lists. It also means we can update the app in one swoop, which we would not be able to do if we had 2 differend GUIDs to maintain.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I paid for the app but phone crashed and it was gone so I re downloaded it. Is there a way to get full version back?? I will pay again

Just tap the "buy" button again, you will be told you have already bought the app and asked if would you like to install it again

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb