Request to WP Cental Team at CES - WP8 / Outlook Syncronisation

TimTDP

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi to the team at CES

I am desperate for a Outlook / WP8 usb sysnchroniation tool!

Please can you report from CES is someone is developing one? Pretty please!!

TimTDP

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
You're not going to get USB sync. Something like this is the best you're going to get:

Akruto Sync | Own your data

Akruto offers two methods of installation:
One requires the registration of a dns server, the installation of dns server software and the opening of router ports
The second (not recommended by Akruto) requires the phone to be given a fixed IP address. I have asked Akruto if non-fixed IP address's can be used but they have failed to respond)

The first installation method is beyond the ability of most users.
The second, non recommended, installation method is also difficult as most networks run dhcp.

So Akruto is not a solution!

Why is Microsoft making sync so complicated? It is a requirement for every phone user!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Why is Microsoft making sync so complicated? It is a requirement for every phone user!

It's not complicated. It is really simple. Much simpler than hooking up a cable to sync outlook. Put in the few minutes to learn. It is worth it.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
Akruto offers two methods of installation:
One requires the registration of a dns server, the installation of dns server software and the opening of router ports
The second (not recommended by Akruto) requires the phone to be given a fixed IP address. I have asked Akruto if non-fixed IP address's can be used but they have failed to respond)

The first installation method is beyond the ability of most users.
The second, non recommended, installation method is also difficult as most networks run dhcp.

So Akruto is not a solution!

If you don't want to use cloud services (which are super simple, and work great), you basically have to create them yourself, which is what Akruto is doing. If you need USB sync to Outlook, then honestly Windows Phone isn't the phone for you.

TimTDP

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
If you need USB sync to Outlook, then honestly Windows Phone isn't the phone for you.

I am not insisting on USB sync. I just want a reliable solution that is simple to set up. A solution that is as simple as plug and play.

and if Windows Phone is not for me than I will simply remain with Android. And believe me, so will thousands of others (this is my impression from the numerous simillar postings I have read / followed on other forums).

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's 2013, most people are trying to move away from having to plug things in not looking for this ability as a feature

Just use Akruto if you don't trust the cloud

Or move to Android

TimTDP

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I am off to Android.
I fact I have just swopped my Nokia 920 for a Galaxy S3

With this type of attitude WP 8 is doomed not to be success I hoped it would be. I was really looking forward to haveing a pc, phone & tablet using one os. Allas this is not to be.

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I didn't usb sync my Treo's for goodness sake, it's why it has internet and wifi. Your Outlook is syncing from a location, have the phone sync from the same location.... DONE!
and if any so much as says, "but my tasks...." I'll scream.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I had more problems with data corruption, lost data, and errors with USB Activesync connections when changing devices or resetting devices than I ever have had with cloud (Exchange) sync...which is none!!!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
There really is no reason not to use WP's synching solutions:

1. Critical/Confidential corporate data

In this case you will be working in a corporate environment and 99% of the time a secure Exchange Server will be part of the sync relationship. Works great, is easy, and corporations can implement any security policies they want.

2. Critical private data

MS' continuous backups, hardware redundancy, 24/7 availability world wide and fire and natural disaster protections go far beyond anything most people could setup at home. The benefits leave no rational excuse not to use MS' cloud based approach to sync... unless your activities are illegal of course.

If you want to return to the more complicated and less secure USB-cable based approach of the last century, that is your loss.

The only thing requiring some thought is how to setup multiple devices synching with the same mail accounts. That we could help with.

vedichymn

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am not insisting on USB sync. I just want a reliable solution that is simple to set up. A solution that is as simple as plug and play.

and if Windows Phone is not for me than I will simply remain with Android. And believe me, so will thousands of others (this is my impression from the numerous simillar postings I have read / followed on other forums).

Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be a jerk about this, but this is just something that's not ever going to happen with Windows Phone. Akurto is as complex as it is because they're replicating a huge amount of stuff that normally someone else takes care of for you.

If you can get a better sync experience with Android or iOS, then it becomes a much better solution for you. Life is too short to put up with bad solutions to problems. :)

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site

Yes, your original question was looking for an "Outlook / WP8 usb sysnchroniation tool!" We stopped our corporate users from USB syncing their Blackberry devices to their computers like 8 years ago... That was the last time that was ever required. If you don't feel comfortable with the cloud how can you possibly justify using Android? I have both a GMail and Live account and it syncs to about a dozen of my mobile devices never having to touch a PC. It's awesome and it's the way it should be.

TimTDP

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
OK so we need to sync via the cloud. This is not a big deal and was certianly not my reason for starting this debate.

I started this debate to find out if there are simply methods to sync the data.
I have explained that Akruto is complicated to install, and certianly beyond the capabilities of non propellor heads.
Hotmail Connector does not appear reliable and does not sync all data.

Until know, Nokia provided Nokia Suite. HTC supplied HTC Sync
I am just looking for a simillar solution for WP8

If this means, as suggested above, that WP8 is not for me and that I should simply use Android than so be it. If this is true, then how is Microsoft going to capture a significant market share?
Judging from other forums, there are a lot of users out there requesting a simillar solution - for a basic everyday requirement.

Anyway, enough of this. I have got the message and will continue with Android. And that includes my tablet.

Goodby WP8

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
OK so we need to sync via the cloud. This is not a big deal and was certianly not my reason for starting this debate.

I started this debate to find out if there are simply methods to sync the data.
I have explained that Akruto is complicated to install, and certianly beyond the capabilities of non propellor heads.
Hotmail Connector does not appear reliable and does not sync all data.

Until know, Nokia provided Nokia Suite. HTC supplied HTC Sync
I am just looking for a simillar solution for WP8

If this means, as suggested above, that WP8 is not for me and that I should simply use Android than so be it. If this is true, then how is Microsoft going to capture a significant market share?
Judging from other forums, there are a lot of users out there requesting a simillar solution - for a basic everyday requirement.

Anyway, enough of this. I have got the message and will continue with Android. And that includes my tablet.

Goodby WP8

I haven't seen someone sync a phone with USB (for outlook or app data) since BlackBerry fixed BIS over the air sync for Exchange.... I doubt this is a highly needed feature. Plugging in as USB drive and moving data files is one thing, but the only thing I think I would ever want to USB "sync" would be music and videos, and do that that manually but drag and drop most of the time. I'm just confused on what you even need to "sync" via usb?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

No you have completely misunderstood the message. You are frustrated and you are allowing it to cloud your good judgment!

The message is: if you insist on using outdated synching mechanisms for your PIM data (local contacts, mail, calendar data via USB) Android is the way to go.

Since cloud synching is an option for you, there is nothing blocking you from a first class synch experience but yourself.

I use Outlook 2013. It syncs everything perfectly without the connector (or any other software). You can download a two month trial version for free.

Before that I also used the connector. That wasn't an elegant solution, but it did work reliably.

As previously stated, if you would have explained your problem instead if just complaining, we would have been able to help.

I still don't know what your problem is. All I know is that it has, contrary to your first statement, nothing to do with USB cables.

Akruto should never have been mentioned. It wasted your time, because it isn't designed to solve a problem you actually have.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been searching like **** for something to sync via USB, only because our corporate IT has actually blocked Windows Phone 8 from wireless sync with the Exchange servers. I don't want to go back to an iPhone, but at this point I don't think I have a choice. I lost all my contacts, calendar, etc on my 8X because one day my sync stopped working - I deleted the account to reinstall and unbeknownst to me they actually are actively blocking WP8 and Android now. Of course I lost all my stuff on my phone. If i could just get the contacts back I would be happy, right now all calls I get I don't have the contact name appearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte