Split up "Windows Phone Devices" section?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
With Nokia pumping out new WP8 handsets (seemingly on a weekly basis), the "Windows Phone Devices" section (and the forum section list itself) is now getting rather long.

I was thinking that it might be an idea to split this section into three sections:-

• Windows Phone 8 Devices
  • Windows Phone 7 Devices
  • Other

The "Other" section can contain the upcoming phones/rumours, other makes, and phone wars.

Users should then be able to collapse the sections they don't need to see (for me, it would be the Windows Phone 7 section)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
With Nokia pumping out new WP8 handsets (seemingly on a weekly basis), the "Windows Phone Devices" section (and the forum section list itself) is now getting rather long.

I was thinking that it might be an idea to split this section into three sections:-

• Windows Phone 8 Devices
  • Windows Phone 7 Devices
  • Other

The "Other" section can contain the upcoming phones/rumours, other makes, and phone wars.

Users should then be able to collapse the sections they don't need to see (for me, it would be the Windows Phone 7 section)

I do like the idea of simplifying, but I think It's important that 'hot' devices be found immediately on the home page. Burying them a level within a new forum is bad.

In the end, I think we'll get a feel/know when a device list is too long... but honestly the fact that new flagship devices keep coming out is simply awesome for Windows Phone. It's an excellent problem for us to have... I just hate to bury the hot devices into a forum. Once we reach AC's level of forum madness (check it out) then we should re-convene. :)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a compromise of the two. Keep your hot phones listed as they are, but consolidate the other forums?

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I see your point James, I think maybe you misunderstood what I meant by "split".

I was thinking about having another top-level group (green banner) for Windows Phone 8 Devices. This would allow people who have "moved on" from Windows Phone 7 to collapse that section.

No burying was intended....

A by-product of this would be to allow the contents of "Other Windows Phones" to be split as well (currently, the HTC 8S is lumped in together with Windows Phone 7 devices like the Samsung Focus, Omnia 7, etc)

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I see your point James, I think maybe you misunderstood what I meant by "split".

I was thinking about having another top-level group (green banner) for Windows Phone 8 Devices. This would allow people who have "moved on" from Windows Phone 7 to collapse that section.

No burying was intended....

A by-product of this would be to allow the contents of "Other Windows Phones" to be split as well (currently, the HTC 8S is lumped in together with Windows Phone 7 devices like the Samsung Focus, Omnia 7, etc)

I see exactly what you mean... am just wondering if we had a Windows Phone 8 Devices and Windows Phone 7 Devices (or older) that might actually make the homepage LONGER!? :)

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Of course. But it would make the Windows Phone 7 section (and Windows Phone 8 for that matter) sections collapsible.

This would allow forum users to have a list of sections that are relevant to them and hide sections that they don't need to read..

Rowan2013

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah some of the forums need consolidating particularly the Lumia devices. For instance, the 520 and 521 are near identical, and you could probably throw in the 620 there as one forum too.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Wondered what had changed on the forum, come home and now have Nokia Lumia , Samsung, HTC, Device Section.

Working fine in WPCentral App has well.

Thanks keep up the good work WPCentral Crew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon