Adblock makes us sad

GrayW0lf

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm really not a fan of ads that masquerade as "News Articles" such as the ones you can see in Holdum333's response here. That kind of nonsense is part of why I don't like ads. Next, add in the additional tracking/behavior analysis being performed based on cookies stored on your machine that provide "beacons" - ugh. Thanks, but no thanks. Give me a paid option and I'll chip some money in. Otherwise, AdBlock-type add-ons are my only defense against an increasingly invasive web of advertisers.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
James, I had to disable AdBlock on Firefox because it wouldn't let me give a "like" or upload images. C'mon playa'

That happened to me as well running Firefox, no ability to "like" but haven't tried uploading images though, sneaky buggers LOL. Maybe we'll have to look into tweaking my ad blocker but then again, maybe not... Just tried browsing site w/o blocker (been a while) and yup, there's a reason we got it. :evil:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
James, I had to disable AdBlock on Firefox because it wouldn't let me give a "like" or upload images. C'mon playa'

That happened to me as well running Firefox, no ability to "like" but haven't tried uploading images though, sneaky buggers LOL. Maybe we'll have to look into tweaking my ad blocker but then again, maybe not... Just tried browsing site w/o blocker (been a while) and yup, there's a reason we got it. :evil:

Ahh that's happening to me right now. Also multi quote is not working on Firefox with it on. :(

Tapatalk is my friend, along with forum apps.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Can live with ads no problem as most sites have them but what I don't get is why WC's are so intrusive and resource intensive, does it need be?

And it is not just about seeing or not seeing these ads either, if I come here because of a problem we're having with a device or software the inability to navigate throughout the site, reasonably, just compounds my already frustrated situation ten fold.

So the question... Any suggestions for a happy medium or is it, "dammed if we do, dammed if we don't" type of situation? Tried many virgin browsers and devices in the past with the results always being the same, maybe that's about to change dunno.

Just as a side note, am noticing "they" (whomever "they" are) are really inhibiting "user intervention" throughout the site whilst using a blocker, appears things are changing rapidly too... Maybe I'm late to the party as well LOL. Today noticed there was no ability to apply formatting and such to ones message unless blocker was off. We'll see how it plays out but for me it might just end up being a case of "we used to frequent that site but no longer do", only time will tell.

Last edited:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Same here, I am no longer able to like any post on WC. It does not affect iMore and Android but does on WC. Grrrrr.

I can't "like" in AC so assume whatever they are doing is being done across the board for all Central sites :(

Not sure if I'm impressed with their method of resolving, "let's disable functionality for those using an ad blocker rather than fixing the REAL problem(s)", backwards mentality if you ask me... If other sites can produce a happy medium why can't they???

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I can't "like" in AC so assume whatever they are doing is being done across the board for all Central sites :( Not sure if I'm impressed with their method of resolving, "let's disable functionality for those using an ad blocker rather than fixing the REAL problem(s)", backwards mentality if you ask me... If other sites can produce a happy medium why can't they???
Maybe I shouldn't mention it but I can still like in iMore and AC. Maybe after this post, I won't be able to there either. Might be time to start looking for other sites to visit. Sad, I've been here at Mobile Nations for years.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Maybe I shouldn't mention it but I can still like in iMore and AC. Maybe after this post, I won't be able to there either. Might be time to start looking for other sites to visit. Sad, I've been here at Mobile Nations for years.

Guess there's a price to pay for "free" yet don't know how that translates in revenue when the ads severely impact the site(s) overall usability, suppose though the monies have already changed hands and now it is up to the webmaster to ensure they are getting public attention as initially intended. Double edge sword of sorts in that without the advertisements there wouldn't be a site of this stature, on the other end of the scale, without the "users" there would be no need for advertising support and for that matter, the site itself.

Just noticing that every time I come back here that changes are happening at a rapid pace, like when I hoover over my message notifications, "was" able to move the mouse pointer down to "new quote", "new like", etc and click on it, now trying to do so makes dropdown disappear and only disabling my ad blocker will it allow to resume normally.

Looks like Mobile Nations isn't long for this world in my camp, obvious they're more intent on keeping the ads going no matter how it impacts the overall experience for it's users.

Last edited:

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi You all! I'm running the latest version of Firefox. I don't see any advertisements. I'm not having any problems like you all are describing.
James told us he was working on this. IMHO lets give this a rest and see what the future holds. Running a large forum like Windows Central is not easy and it is about making a few $$. I'm not saying not to report your issues; I'm just saying, lets give James a chance to clear this up. Then we can all voice our rants and opinions! I'm really enjoying this forum and I appreciate everyone that makes all this happen. A big "Thank you from this old country boy to all the staff!"
These are my thoughts tonight. I'm not having one issue here on the forum using Firefox.
Happy computering friends. See you all on the forum!:wink:

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi You all! I'm running the latest version of Firefox. I don't see any advertisements. I'm not having any problems like you all are describing.
James told us he was working on this. IMHO lets give this a rest and see what the future holds. Running a large forum like Windows Central is not easy and it is about making a few $$. I'm not saying not to report your issues; I'm just saying, lets give James a chance to clear this up. Then we can all voice our rants and opinions! I'm really enjoying this forum and I appreciate everyone that makes all this happen. A big "Thank you from this old country boy to all the staff!"
These are my thoughts tonight. I'm not having one issue here on the forum using Firefox.
Happy computering friends. See you all on the forum!:wink:

Strange you're not encountering same as I'm running the latest version of Firefox too on multiple PCs, even on my Linux machines we are seeing same quirks, and from my testing it isn't relegated to just Firefox either, IE and Edge have also been problematic.

Fully aware running and managing such a large forum/site isn't easy and appreciate all the hard work too, just miffed as to why their method of implementation causes the anomalies I'm seeing, can't recall frequenting any other site(s) that have behaved so badly. For me this problem became most prevalent about a year ago, then, I tried multiple browsers/PCs, reported the issue, created a thread on the subject but in the end, only resolve was running a blocker as suggested by others, WC is the only reason I'm running one in the first place... Nothing appears to have changed as of today, yet, upon disabling my ad blocker the annoyances of the past still rear their ugly heads.

Have no problems with ads per se but when they began to "rule the roost" of sorts causing a deviation from the sites intended purpose, that's when I took offence. Pages were slow to load, scrolling lagged severely, delays in typing (text did not coincide w/key presses), these compound the issues for those coming here in hopes of finding a resolve to their device/software woes. Hopefully they can get it sorted and we can all be happy, yeah right LOL.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Strange you're not encountering same as I'm running the latest version of Firefox too on multiple PCs, even on my Linux machines we are seeing same quirks, and from my testing it isn't relegated to just Firefox either, IE and Edge have also been problematic.

Fully aware running and managing such a large forum/site isn't easy and appreciate all the hard work too, just miffed as to why their method of implementation causes the anomalies I'm seeing, can't recall frequenting any other site(s) that have behaved so badly. For me this problem became most prevalent about a year ago, then, I tried multiple browsers/PCs, reported the issue, created a thread on the subject but in the end, only resolve was running a blocker as suggested by others, WC is the only reason I'm running one in the first place... Nothing appears to have changed as of today, yet, upon disabling my ad blocker the annoyances of the past still rear their ugly heads.

Have no problems with ads per se but when they began to "rule the roost" of sorts causing a deviation from the sites intended purpose, that's when I took offence. Pages were slow to load, scrolling lagged severely, delays in typing (text did not coincide w/key presses), these compound the issues for those coming here in hopes of finding a resolve to their device/software woes. Hopefully they can get it sorted and we can all be happy, yeah right LOL.

Try installing uBlockOrigin and disabling AdBlock on this site, I also use Firefox and thanks to that, I'm able to use the site like how I did before.

I quoted your response but this goes for anyone else who uses Firefox too :) Now I can properly do my thing, lol.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Try installing uBlockOrigin and disabling AdBlock on this site, I also use Firefox and thanks to that, I'm able to use the site like how I did before.

I quoted your response but this goes for anyone else who uses Firefox too :) Now I can properly do my thing, lol.

Thanks Libra89 but guess in my posts we were generalizing rather than being specific. I actually use uBlockOrigin and not AdBlock, Firefox is my main go-to browser and Laura Knotek steered me towards uBlockOrigin way back in Feb of this year.

At the moment I'm browsing WC using Chromium, version 53.0.2785.143 Built on Ubuntu, running on LinuxMint 17.3 (64-bit), all this on a 10 year old Tosh lappy w/Core2Duo/4GB Ram, and no blocker of any sorts. Got to say it's exceeding my expectations and even rivals Firefox when it's run in plain vanilla mode, no not perfect but very tolerable so far and will be interesting to see how long it last now that I've opened my big mouth haahaha.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks Libra. I'm good to go with Firefox.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I somehow jinxed myself because that worked but then it broke for me. :/

I know eh, even though my Chromium/Linux combo is functioning decently I feel it ever so slightly swaying towards the dark side but then it could be just a case of paranoia LOL

yikaAxa4T.jpg

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi You all! I don't have any ad blockers. The only Firefox Ad-0n is WOT. I'm not having any problems. I'm running Windows Defender and MBAM Pro in real time. I can't think of any reason or App that I have, that would be any different!:wink:

Attachments

• Capture26.JPG
    Capture26.JPG
    72.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 6

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member