Adblock makes us sad

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
I am not a massive web surfer, I go on the BBC website for news (No adverts) the Skype community forum to help out and I come on here.

OK I also go on a few others like PC Worlds, Microsoft and a couple more but not many.

I only use Adblock because this site is almost unworkable without it. I can't even use the site on mobile, I have to use the app as this site grinds along at best.

Sorry to say this but a few more "Adblock makes us sad" pop ups and I am off to find somewhere else to chat about Windows. I would be more than happy to turn Adblock off if this site didn't crawl to a standstill with the adverts. I know you are a business and trying to make a living, but how many times have people posted up about this site and slowness..........................

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I was just coming here to make the same thread. I still see a few ads on the side, but the site definitely runs better with Adblock. I don't even attempt to browse this site on mobile.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I remember there being a suggestion for a paid version with no ads so we could support the site. No update anywhere in sight on that topic.

z8er

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I also came to post a similar thread. I love Windows Central, and will not be leaving, but I will not be re enabling ads. Before adblock this site was absolutely slow as molasses. Give us sensible non-obtrusive ads and I'll disable adblock. Cheers!

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I never use browser to visit WC because the site is unusable. Only visit forums with mtalk or similar app.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi I have a old Toshiba laptop. I spend way to much time on this site, but I really enjoy it here. I'm not using Adblock or any ad blocker and I'm not seeing adds or slow downs. I use Firefox browser. The adds that do come up are on the right side are gone when I click the X.

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    200.4 KB · Views: 18

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! Thanks for the screen shot. I don't see any of that using Firefox! This is the only thing I see coming even close to advertisement!
I think I would ditch edge!:angry:

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    250.7 KB · Views: 16

holdum333

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi ! I get the that same thing you got. I'm using edge! Every thing is very slow and I wouldn't or couldn't put up with this crap.:angry:
Going back to my Firefox! See you all on the forum!

Attachments

• Capture25.JPG
    Capture25.JPG
    178.8 KB · Views: 14

Maaz Mansori

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the others; the site is just not usable on Edge without AdBlock. The browser keeps freezing when scrolling up and down and most of the ads take much longer to load than the rest of the site content. The nag screen requesting to disable AdBlock is still far less annoying than putting up with the ads and those of us who use ad blockers never click on any of the banners anyway even with AdBlock disabled. Please consider an ad-free subscription service as others have stated so that we can support you and not be annoyed with the ads. Maybe make it work across all Mobile Nations sites to give the subscribers the best value.

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
There is only one proper solution to this ad debacle, not only for WC, but all websites.

The ad companies should start selling paid subscriptions to turn off ads. If you don't have a subscription, you see ads. If you have a subscription, you see no ads from any website that uses that ad network. Since there are 4-5 major ad networks out there, I think something should work out.

Would beat getting paid subscriptions for each website you visit.

RoboLoftie

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I got the "Adblock makes us sad" pop up yesterday. Bit of fiddling with uBlock and it's no longer an issue for the time. I believe AdBlock has the ability to do the same, but I've not used it in a while. In all honesty, if I hadn't of found the option to get rid of the pop up I would have stopped visiting simply because WC's journalism seems to have gone vastly down hill with them just pumping out any article left, right and centre. But that's a different topic.

anon(391898)

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I use Ad blocking as a security measure against the ads that can infect a person's machine. Sorry, if I have to turn off my ad blocker for a site then I just won't be back. It is unfortunate that the hackers have driven me to this extreme, but my safety first, your ads a distant second.

primortal

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I use Ad blocking as a security measure against the ads that can infect a person's machine. Sorry, if I have to turn off my ad blocker for a site then I just won't be back. It is unfortunate that the hackers have driven me to this extreme, but my safety first, your ads a distant second.

Same mentality here. Plus I want to read the articles and not get annoyed at ads that "demand" your attention, interfere what I'm reading or start playing sound/video.

If Windows Central can 100% guarantee that the ads are *ware free than I'll strongly consider turning off my ad blocker.

Otherwise you need to offer an ad-free subscription option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium