Why so many and intrusive ads!!!

anon(391898)

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
The only reason I run an AdBlocker is because of windowscentral.com.

Most annoying is just how poor they are. For example todays "link pretending to be an article" in the RSS feed is for a screen protector for a phone, that's not the current generation phone (the one that's no longer available), not for the previous generation phone (that I have in my hand and is new years old) but is instead for my previous phone that's 4 years old!

Is the screen of your Lumia 920 showing signs of its age? Why not restore that original shine with BodyGuardz's anti-glare screen protector? It is easy to install and covers your existing scratches, and right now you can pick one up for just $6.

http://shop.windowscentral.com/bodyguardz-hd-anti-glare-screenguardz/15A43A12958.htm

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Welcome, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central. I'm so sorry that you find the ads so annoying. Our Community Manager James Falconer's office door is always open for us to contact him and report overly annoying ads, so they can possibly be removed from rotation. Although I'm not sure the ad you mentioned would actually be such an ad, since many folks DO still have older phones and would want to know about the Daily Deals which are often great values!

Ads are a necessary evil, they help to pay the bills so we can keep the lights on and the site running and we can be provided with the excellent content that Daniel and crew bring us. You seem to have found a solution and are using Adblocker, as many do, but really are a few ads THAT much of an issue? Again, as I said you can always report the overly annoying ones to James for removal. You know the type, the ones that take over the screen! lol

Michelle Haag

Staff member
Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback! I agree with what PK mentioned... a lot of folks out there are still using older phones so sales like this in the store are worth mentioning for them.

anon(391898)

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
You seem to have found a solution and are using Adblocker, as many do, but really are a few ads THAT much of an issue?

Not sure how many a "few" is to you, but uBlock blocks anywhere from 15-20 ads when visiting Windows Central. I, personally, would call that a great many. Many sites I visit survive on 3 - 5 ads per page.

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Greetings,

Not all us have the luxury of fiber optic, super-duper, extremely fast broadband. If an adbocker is not used, the many ads on this site cause my browser to be extremely sluggish, totally destroying the experience of my favorite site. Frankly, Windows Central slows down my browser more than any other site that I frequent.

There are now many sites that will not allow access without disabling an adblocker. I no longer visit these sites!

Windows Central is to be commended for continuing to allow users to enjoy the site with the blockers enabled, which I do several times a day. Please, please do not change this.

Matty

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Greetings,

Not all us have the luxury of fiber optic, super-duper, extremely fast broadband. If an adbocker is not used, the many ads on this site cause my browser to be extremely sluggish, totally destroying the experience of my favorite site. Frankly, Windows Central slows down my browser more than any other site that I frequent.

There are now many sites that will not allow access without disabling an adblocker. I no longer visit these sites!

Windows Central is to be commended for continuing to allow users to enjoy the site with the blockers enabled, which I do several times a day. Please, please do not change this.

Thank you very much for your feedback Rubidad!

It's always appreciated. If you are interested in seeing what a 'Mobile Nations' website looks like with no adds. You can Visit Crackberry.com. For the whole month of Feburary, there are no adds! (for registered members). I have a 1mbps internet connection so i know what you mean when you say the browser can be slow :)

I look it as, my favourite website is getting money from it which allows them to continue being here which allows me to continue to spend time here. So I'm happy to wait a couple extra seconds for things to load. Again, Thank you for your feedback. Our community Manager James will definitely take note :)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the sentiment of "my favorite website getting money," but when it creates a not insignificant slowdown on the page loads, that's when adBlock gets turned on. Sorry - I would love to support the site, but there are times....

For the moment, AdBlock is turned off for me on this site, but there are times when the ads give me no choice.

pfaftle

Mar 23, 2017
Visit site
I was considering regularly participating... I understand you guys need money (me too) but my CPU utilisation is around 99% on your site due to ads (normal ad-blocked browsing for me is around 20%)... I just can't do this more than once, it has taken me 10 mins or so just to get to the point where I can type this message!
Your ads are ludicrously greedy on system resources.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Mac OS X Yosemite with Google Chrome. This site is unusable without AdBlock Plus enabled. Memory usage is over 800MB without. CPU usage spikes when loading.

And then I opened the dev console in Chrome just to see what was up (with AdBlock Plus enabled). I'm a web developer, and this was just shocking to me. Honestly embarrassing. You guys need to tone down the ads, and clean up the site. It's better to sell some adds to some users than a ton of ads to no users.

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 11.55.38 AM.png

Rubidad

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
OK Windows Central
I have disabled my ad blocker to post this:
I have been a participant of this site for years. If you force me to use your bloated, ad riddled site with my blocker disabled, I will be forced to abandon your site. I will attempt to log on one more time later this week. If you still insist on forcing ads down my throat from ****ty, misleading, dishonest vendors such as Mint, I will not come back.
And I urge all members to do the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre