Article comments broken

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
For maybe a week now, on any browser, replying to comments under an article returns a wall of web code, in text form.

Someone broke something, or an update did. Check it out.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So... Just worked for me. W10, Anniversary Update, Iron browser, Ad Block + engaged.

Capture01.png

Plus I see comments from lots of folks on recent articles. I mean the really fresh ones.

Can you get a screen shot of the web code?

Tried shutting off your ad blocker? Tried clearing cookies and cache?

What are your relevant system particulars?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah. Just a straight reply to the article works. Its if you hit the radio buttons, and it seems to sometimes be intermittent.

could be browser dependant but I get it on edge and opera (windows 10 pro, creators update, adblock engaged)

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
It seems a lot recently broke, and it is specifically broken with AdBlock Plus enabled.

With AdBlock Plus enabled, I:
  • Get a page of JSON when clicking "Reply" to a comment
  • Don't get the WYSIWYG for comments (just text area)
  • Can't click "Show More" for more articles on the home page

With AdBlock Plus disabled, I:
  • Don't have any of the above problems
  • Have unnacceptably high memory and CPU usage (800+ MB)
  • Have a much slower experience overall

I'm on Mac OS X Yosemite, using Google Chrome with AdBlock Plus.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
That works fine in the forum thread section here, RumoredNow. Unfortunately, in the comment section of articles with ABP enabled, it seems like the "Rich Editor" side fails to load altogether, thus removing the option:

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 4.50.57 PM.png

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Yeah that's what I get too, using edge with either adblock plus or adguard adblocker, a page full of json when I click reply on any of the mainpage articles comments (If I just put my own reply, that works fine).

Things like "load more" at the bottom of the article page, also don't seem to work.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Also, just tried turning off adblocker. Real slow. Like unusable slow. The load more option works though :p It just loads like a dial up modem XD

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah that's what I get too, using edge with either adblock plus or adguard adblocker, a page full of json when I click reply on any of the mainpage articles comments (If I just put my own reply, that works fine).

Things like "load more" at the bottom of the article page, also don't seem to work.

So I just tried switching from AdBlock Plus to Ublock Origin. It actually seems to be both more effective than ABP and maintains more of the site's functionality. With Ublock Origin, comment replies are working, "Show More" is working, etc. Much better!

And again, sorry to be using an ad blocker here Windows Central. But as others have pointed out, this site starts becoming unusable without one.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
So I just tried switching from AdBlock Plus to Ublock Origin. It actually seems to be both more effective than ABP and maintains more of the site's functionality. With Ublock Origin, comment replies are working, "Show More" is working, etc. Much better!

And again, sorry to be using an ad blocker here Windows Central. But as others have pointed out, this site starts becoming unusable without one.

We don't have that in edge yet

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon