Is Skype still alive in your country?

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, I really have a reason to ask this. Because whenever I having a converse with others in real life, they always ask if I am using Viber / Line / Hangout / Zalo (IM app in Vietnam) or something similar. Nobody ever ask me if I'm using Skype! Some people don't even know Skype have the IM feature?!

I'm using Skype nearly 24/7 and only use skype for group chatting. Last year MS killed off some features and really affect a lot of group's admins on Skype. Today those IM apps are all have the Voice/Video Call features and PC client and Skype's marketing only target business people so I really concerned about Skype will die for ordinary users.

So how about you guys?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the US and use Skype. I've never heard of Viber / Line / Hangout / Zalo (unless you mean Google Hangouts). Other than Skype, the only other chat apps my US friends use are WhatsApp and BBM.

Draconica5

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
All WP in my country have been pre-installed those IM apps (Zalo, Viber, Line). I think MS & Nokia marketing really messed up with Skype in VN.

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
When I was in the Philippines on holiday, I was asked if I use skype. Viber seems to be popular there too. I use skype here in the UK to keep up with family and friends who are abroad. Mainly use it for video calls and group chat.

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Not really too alive, that I know of, here in the US. Oovoo is the popular one that I hear of and my kids and their friends use also. They look at Skype as the parents thing, lol. But I haven't used Skype but once, just to test a vid call, so I don't know of any others who do. Mind you I'm only one person, but that's my experience.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I use Skype daily both for text chatting with different groups I belong to as well as talking to my friends while on Xbox 360, Xbox One, and Steam.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
In India, Skype is pretty much alive as a video calling app. People mostly use WhatsApp and Hike for IM. Viber is mostly used for making free calls.

Lance_WPCentral

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes in India its very much alive. Its well know here for voice and video calls. Its the best available in comparison with gtalk, viber etc. Mostly people use the desktop version. I use both as it works great on Windows Phone too.

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
In India the word video call is synonymous with Skype :) For instance, when you need to speak to somebody far off, people say" usse video call karle Skype pe (Just video call him on Skype). Skype did to video call what Google did with search :p I wish 🌠 Bing gets more popular in India :/

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I wish 🌠 Bing gets more popular in India :/

Bing is a very powerful search engine, a lot better than google. Better, faster & convenient. Its upto you if you want to use Bing or google. For many years, I've been using Google & from the last month, I've been using Bing. Also normally Bing provides upto 8-9 time more results than google, that also far better.

Tsang Fai

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm in Hong Kong.

I have not seen anyone using Skype on their smartphone.
I know some of my friends and some of my high school students use Skype, usually on their home PC for video chatting.
Occasionally I see some people making video calls on smartphones with Wechat/LINE, but not Skype.

I have been using Skype for about six months only. The greatest thing of Skype is that you can make a REAL call to someone, who does not get access to Skype/LINE/Wechat/.... Of course you have to pay, but the rates offered by Skype is really very cheap compared with IDD rates charged by carriers.

I made calls mainly to mainland China. I joined 800min/month plan at USD 7.79 - very cheap indeed. And then I joined the unlimited world package (USD 13.99) which offers unlimited calls to almost any country.
(NOT advertising here.... just want to tell how reasonably cheap the rates are...

And recently I have a wonderful experience of using Skype in South Korea - I went there for 6 days. Before my trip, I bought a SIM card (around USD 20) for Korea, which offers 5GB of data (no voice calls) for 7 days. During the 6 days in Korea, I made phone calls to my friends in mainland China and Hong Kong by consuming the data offered by the SIM card. Sound quality is very good (the SIM card is 3G only, no 4G).

I even made calls to banks in Hong Kong when I was in Korea - this is something you cannot do with Whatsapp/LINE/Wechat.

As I know, another Skype-like service is Viber, which also allows real phone calling, without the need for the recipient to connect to the internet. I have not tried it.

Sometimes I use Skype on my Surface Pro 3 to make phone calls - it just works like an office-style telephone with speaker-phone. It is even more comfortable than using my Lumia. :)

Very few people in Hong Kong know the real power of Skype and the cheap rates offered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa