Disk usage very high?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

It seems anything running with only a few MB will set it off to 90-100% usage. It varies from Skype, to system and compressed memory, host process for windows tasks, windows defender, and a few other things. I am on the latest build.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Windows Central.

I presume that by "MB" you're referring to the remaining free RAM that your PC has. If yes, then that's normal - it's the system moving some of the memory to the pagefile causing the high disk activity. Some references would tell the user the disable the page file - while this will address the disk issue, this may and will lead to worse problems down the road.

The safest solution (based on my experience - yes, I've tried disabling the pagefile before) is to install more RAM in your PC.

If my presumptions are wrong, then we would need more information.

You may create a Windows Central account to respond in this thread.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Then that is normal (as long as it does not stay like that for 30 minutes) - just let the PC do its thing right after start up - it's probably just loading everything up first (all those that are enabled in start up in the task manager (for Windows 10).

You may want to check which ones are allowed to run at start up and disable those that are not really necessary. Otherwise, just leave the PC for a few moments right after start up.

My original response was for cases when the disk activity spikes up when the free RAM is reduced to just a few MB.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
You're welcome, and I think you're not alone. Just now, for example (after starting up) my PC is exhibiting 100% disk activity but 8GB of RAM seems to be compensating for it so there are no lags. Sometimes there are lags, and when lags do come with 100% disk activity truly it's best to just wait... trying to do something while at the lag point just makes it lag even more. :smile:

tqking

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Re: Disk usage 100% due to "Systemand Compressed Momory" in TaskMan

Wow! I am using Build 10565 and ever since I installed it a few days ago, my Disk Usage has been almost consistently 100%!

I solved it (advice from another forum) by turning OFF the "Show me tips about Windows" in
Settings / SYSTEM / Notifications and Actions / Notifications

This Show me Tips is definitely a major bug in Build 10565 !! :angry:
Finally after TWO DAYS, my 10565 is finally running normally!
Now, how the heck can I get it to upgrade
to the latest build? I don't care if it's "Fast"
or "Slow" track
All Windows Update ever shows me is Defender upgrades, whether I I am on the Fast or Slow track

UPDATE - 10 Minutes later. The 100% disk came back! Although response speed didn't seem to be affected. So I killed the OneDrive. That seemed to do it.
I'm using 10585 on my other PC with no problems. This 10565 appears to be a real dog!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss