Skype integration working for everyone?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The messaging feature? works well enough for basic messaging needs, but wouldn't be great for a power user..

For example, adding attachments isn't possible yet

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Moved to appropriate area...

Windows 10 How-To Guides is for write ups of prepackaged solutions... Not for leading questions on issues not yet resolved.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Since the feature needs cortana, I'm going to say that for now this only works for wp. If you have an android phone with cortana on it, you could try and check :) but I think you would still need to use the same credentials for the phone and pc (email address you use to log into the pc should be the same for the phone) for this to work

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Just tried an experiment on my HP Stream 7, I un-installed every reference to Skype, so Skype desktop, Skype translator, get skype.

I left the three new apps and it all works no problems, so if anyone asks "Do you need Skype to use the apps" the answer would be no, but you obviously would need a Skype account.

TortugaOnline

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes. It is still very basic but works well on PC. On Windows 10 Mobile it is quite strange. It is unable to find some of my Skype contacts so I can't send them messages. I still have to go the old Skype App. After that I can even see my send messages in the new app, but it doesn't allow me to write from there... Maybe it's the app that still needs some improvement on Win10M.

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
It is "Sold" as a preview so very much early days, I have it now working across all my devices (My desktop couldn't see any contacts, but the latest upgrade sorted that) and given it's limitations, it works.

On my desktop it is a bit pointless as I have desktop Skype with Outlook 2016 and can do pretty much everything I want to, but even on my Surface Pro 3 the new apps are better than the desktop program, and on the Stream it works, the desktop program was useless.

Once you have the contacts sorted and linked you make initial contact with people through the messaging or Skype Video apps, the apps themselves are not the place for the contacts. Easy to swap sending Skype IM's to normal texts and vice a versa in the phone, will be good when texting from PC comes in apart from the Cortana driven option (She makes me laugh every time I test it, she is so thick that woman)..

As mentioned it's early days but showing promise.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yes. It is still very basic but works well on PC. On Windows 10 Mobile it is quite strange. It is unable to find some of my Skype contacts so I can't send them messages. I still have to go the old Skype App. After that I can even see my send messages in the new app, but it doesn't allow me to write from there... Maybe it's the app that still needs some improvement on Win10M.

I've found out what the issue is, you need to install the Skype app and switch on People Hub sync. Unfortunately the sync is incredibly slow but eventually all the contacts show up and have Microsoft Messaging listed in their contact on your phone, once this happens you can merge the contacts and use the Skype integration.

TortugaOnline

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I've found out what the issue is, you need to install the Skype app and switch on People Hub sync. Unfortunately the sync is incredibly slow but eventually all the contacts show up and have Microsoft Messaging listed in their contact on your phone, once this happens you can merge the contacts and use the Skype integration.
Thanks! Yes, it is really slow. All my contacts finally showed up. It took like a week or so. But it finally worked out.

I really like the idea of the new integrated Skype. Unfortunately I had to log out off my Skype account because the messaging app has a huge battery drain. Tried to restart the phone, tried to log out and log in again, but it didn't work. I hope some future update will fix that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett