Current Skype bug - cannot link Skype account with MS account (read for details)

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
So, it seems that Skype currently has a bug that prohibits you from linking your Skype and Microsoft accounts together. Microsoft have confirmed this. I spoke to their support team in length and they even remotely accessed my PC to try and fix it but to no avail.

The thing is that they have refused to actually acknowledge the issue publicly. The issue is that you can unlink the accounts but, when you link again and then sign in to Skype using your Microsoft account, Skype assigns you a technical ID (e.g. live:<skypename><number>) and every time you unlink and link again you get the same name but the number increases.

I don't suppose anyone knows any workarounds for this to get the accounts linked? Skype support said that they only way they can work on the issue is for me to send them a screenshot (I guess just a live chat session and LogMeIn sessions were not enough for them?!?) and that is seriously disappointing.

Surely this cannot be that hard an issue to fix? So, right now, this is a warning for everyone thinking of unlinking acco.

If you want to unlink both accounts to link again, don't. You currently will get some random Skype name instead if you do link again and that account is useless and then you have to contact Skype help to delete that account and so on, so it becomes a circle which becomes tiresome.

Here is hoping Microsoft fix this soon. I just wanted to let everyone here know.

Many thanks.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
How do you unlink them? I thought that couldn't be done :grincry:

Hello Chintal.

Just log into Skype.com with your Skype account, go to Account Settings and you can unlink from there. That will then sign you out of Skype. Then, using the Skype app, log in using your MS account and it should ask you if you have Skype (currently, due to the bug, it doesn't) but, it should and you are supposed to enter your Skype account details and then it is linked.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
A quick update, for anyone who cares, but Microsoft seem to have confirmed this quietly. You are forced to either use phone number, or email address to sign up to SKype. If you don't have either, it gives you the option to create outlook email account.

Ivanfat

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
Have the same bug,
tried a lot of time to use standard approach, but it didn't work.

Please keep me informed in any news about this topic.

Thanks a lot!

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Have the same bug,
tried a lot of time to use standard approach, but it didn't work.

Please keep me informed in any news about this topic.

Thanks a lot!

Another update for those following this.

Microsoft seem to have fixed this issue now and you can link your MS and Skype accounts again.

To do this, log into Skype.com using your Skype account, go to Account Settings and unlink any MS accounts.

This will log you out. Log back into Skype.com with your MS account, go to Account Settings and unlink any MS accounts there too. Again, you get logged out.

For the next part, linking, all I had to was sign back into Skype.com again using my MS account. When I logged in the second time it asked me if I had a Skype account, I said yes, then linked my accounts together and it works fine.

I hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720