Microsoft Smart Watch - A bit of history

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I read a post recently about how Microsoft doesn't have its head in the game. First with smart phones and now with smart watches. Actually, Microsoft isn't the Johnny come lately as a lot of blogs like to report, especially when it comes to smart watches. Back in the day, Microsoft has a smart watch out on what was called Smart Personal Object Technology or SPOT, probably first of its kind. Pushed by MSN technology and that watch predates cell and wifi. That smart watch used the same band FM radio used to push weather, traffic, coffee makers and refrigerator info directly to users.
microsoft-spot.jpg

Not a bad looking device either. Look at who is wearing one.

SwatchSpot_540x411.jpg

I love tech history. Without it, we'd all believe google invented the internet. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem has always been Microsoft invents something but fails to sell it to the consumers.

For example, tablet PCs were introduced at CES by Bill Gates. One of my professors saw that presentation. However, tablets never took off until Apple introduced the iPad.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The problem has always been Microsoft invents something but fails to sell it to the consumers.

For example, tablet PCs were introduced at CES by Bill Gates. One of my professors saw that presentation. However, tablets never took off until Apple introduced the iPad.
Microsoft has always been ahead of its time. These Microsoft watches didn't take off because they happened just as cell phone technology was beginning to spread. That tech was too large and bulky back then to put in anything like a watch though. You probably remember seeing pictures of the first mobile phones. Them boys were huge.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has always been ahead of its time. These Microsoft watches didn't take off because they happened just as cell phone technology was beginning to spread. That tech was too large and bulky back then to put in anything like a watch though. You probably remember seeing pictures of the first mobile phones. Them boys were huge.

The Surface table was another thing I remember. I have no idea how many restaurants ever bought it. Now more restaurants are using mobile apps for ordering. A lot of restaurants still use Windows for the touch screen cash registers though.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes. Those too. Microsoft has always had this "timing" problem. They see the future coming and always drop too early. haha. Maybe its why they seem to be more patient these days.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I agree MS has done some awesome things before anyone ever wanted a smart watch or tablet. It seems like the people who thought up those products must have left the company. If they are still at MS they should have started reacting to the iPad and Pebble with some sense of urgency. I think that is what is frustrating. While the iPad would have been more difficult, the Pebble should have been responded to quickly. Samsung moved pretty fast.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree MS has done some awesome things before anyone ever wanted a smart watch or tablet. It seems like the people who thought up those products must have left the company. If they are still at MS they should have started reacting to the iPad and Pebble with some sense of urgency. I think that is what is frustrating. While the iPad would have been more difficult, the Pebble should have been responded to quickly. Samsung moved pretty fast.
Samsung did but to what end? The watch they hurried to the market had a return rate in the neighborhood between 30 and 40 percent. That is nothing to brag about.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's true. The Pebble is decent, but pretty much all sites consider the Galaxy Gear a failure.

I never understood how a device that expensive could look so much like a something built by Milton Bradley. I couldn't wear something like that to work. Big bright red or orange/yellow "watch" around other professionals? Nahh, never happen. I'd rather spend that money on an Invicta. Love those watches. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I never understood how a device that expensive could look so much like a something built by Milton Bradley. I couldn't wear something like that to work. Big bright red or orange/yellow "watch" around other professionals? Nahh, never happen. I'd rather spend that money on an Invicta. Love those watches. :)
I would wear something in those bright colours if I'm working out at the gym, but I wouldn't wear that to work either.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I had this watch and it was utter trash! The only thing it was good for was the weather. All of the other updates that came in was hours late.

I also had to pay a monthly subscription fee for the watch. Which after a year MS decided to drop service completely.

It had some nifty faces you can download tho.

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Samsung did but to what end? The watch they hurried to the market had a return rate in the neighborhood between 30 and 40 percent. That is nothing to brag about.

Sony already has 2 versions out (3 if you include the Liveview watch). Samsung has announced 3 new versions of their 2nd gen. Metawatch announced their 3rd gen. Cookoo has announced their 2nd gen. Pebble is shipping their 2nd gen. Motorola has announced their 2nd gen. Then there is all the new watches announced for this summer Nabu Razer, LG G watch, Archos, Lenovo, Agent, Kreyos and the list goes on.

MS has announced nothing including any kind of support for any 3rd party watch. They even shutdown my repeated requests over many months for background support and access to incoming call, SMS and email notifications so my app can forward them to the Pebble. I told them I would take whatever features are available.

Now I realize I probably have more concern than anyone else since I have a couple of Pebble apps in the WP store but their lack of assistance or even interest has amazed me. How could any tech company or phone vendor just choose to sit on the sidelines and watch. (I know there is Apple but there are already smart watches from other vendors available for their platform.)

I just hope this will change at the April Build conference. If not, I may have to look at another vendor for my next phone....

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Sony already has 2 versions out (3 if you include the Liveview watch). Samsung has announced 3 new versions of their 2nd gen. Metawatch announced their 3rd gen. Cookoo has announced their 2nd gen. Pebble is shipping their 2nd gen. Motorola has announced their 2nd gen. Then there is all the new watches announced for this summer Nabu Razer, LG G watch, Archos, Lenovo, Agent, Kreyos and the list goes on.

MS has announced nothing including any kind of support for any 3rd party watch. They even shutdown my repeated requests over many months for background support and access to incoming call, SMS and email notifications so my app can forward them to the Pebble. I told them I would take whatever features are available.

Now I realize I probably have more concern than anyone else since I have a couple of Pebble apps in the WP store but their lack of assistance or even interest has amazed me. How could any tech company or phone vendor just choose to sit on the sidelines and watch. (I know there is Apple but there are already smart watches from other vendors available for their platform.)

I just hope this will change at the April Build conference. If not, I may have to look at another vendor for my next phone....

Good for them. I still don't know there is a major market for them yet, do you? And since this is a WP centric blog, no, Microsoft have yet to announce a new watch yet at least nothing I have heard about but when I do, it'll be big news. Just a matter of time and I think there is time. Besides, why not allow competitors do the R&D on their dime. Once the dust settles, Surface Smart Watch and it'll be boss. I can wait.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
It is true that sometimes people get their ideas out before Apple, and people say (and it's true) whenever Apple announces something, everything thinks they invented it first, when others actually did first. But for example, with the iPhone, people say, even now, that Apple wasn't the first with a touch screen phone. But actually, Apple was the one to do it right, and others learned from them.

So while Microsoft may have invented things before others, the other people, like Apple, greatly improve it, and change that type of product, like the Smartphone.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I read a post recently about how Microsoft doesn't have its head in the game. First with smart phones and now with smart watches. Actually, Microsoft isn't the Johnny come lately as a lot of blogs like to report, especially when it comes to smart watches. Back in the day, Microsoft has a smart watch out on what was called Smart Personal Object Technology or SPOT, probably first of its kind. Pushed by MSN technology and that watch predates cell and wifi. That smart watch used the same band FM radio used to push weather, traffic, coffee makers and refrigerator info directly to users.
View attachment 60228

I love tech history. Without it, we'd all believe google invented the internet. :)

Ah the old MSN watch, I remember them. I was planning to buy one but, last min backed out (I have a smart phone why do I have to pay $50 per month for the service on a watch ?).. It was not cheap to run and it was known to be very buggy.

I would love for MS to really put their minds to it and make a smartwatch, Most of these boxes (square type watches), are not appealing to a lot of people (myself also). So something that is very stylish and advanced in tech, would be very welcome for WP owners...

Yea, but, it's about the marketplace and consumer acceptance. The TabletPC has been around for a long time, XP days.

Have you every tried to run Windows XP or 7 on a tablet ? A OS designed around a keyboard an mouse, does not work great with a touch screen, as a OS designed for touch screen, is not really the greatest with a keyboard and mouse (biggest complaint with Windows 8 when it was released, yes I know very subjective).

The iPad did well because it was a fully touch screen based device with no keyboard and mouse option. This is why it did so well. Microsoft is now trying to play catch up...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClareceKeard