How to use your Pebble Watch with your WP Phone

Lloyyd

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Since I still find people who ask about how to use the Pebble Notifications and if it is really working, I wanted to post my how to which I posted in a thread around here into one extra thread. So here it is again, if you have any questions just ask me and I'll gladly help you with it.

----------------------------------------
First:
You need this Tool: http://solutions.devx.com/msdn/articles/46705_fig1.png
You get it from the WP 8.1 SDK or Visual Studio Express (I got it vom Visual Studio Express)
(I used the Visual Studio Express edition to get it, on the menu bar there is "Tools" where you find the Application Deployment Tool)

And you need the app from the store, you can download it from the Webpage. Also your phone must be DEV unlocked (you can do that with Visual Studio as well)

Try to deploy the app to your phone when you got everything. The Tool will say it is not possible because of the packaging. IGNORE and push the button QUICK and often. It will work.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far for the installing, here are some Notes for you:

Is it working 100%?
Almost. SMS, Phone and all other Notifications WORK.
I can't control the Music App so far, maybe it is possible but this is not working for me.
Everything else is perfectly running.

Note that you can't install Watchfaces or Apps, neither you can update your Pebble. You need another device for that(I use an iPad for that).

I will post some screenshots later when I'm home again for proofing.

Regards and good luck everyone,
Martin

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, I grabbed the file from the "download and install manually" link, then all I need to do is to side load it ? (with the SDK, I do have it installed just on another OS need to reboot to get to it). Daniel said that it wont work but, I'll try it...

I will try to side load it tonight (working right now) if I can, if I can get it installed and working, time to find a used Pebble to try it with (should be able to get used one for under $65 on ebay with a little hunting).

There is a few pebble apps in the store right now, some of them (I forget what one off the top of my head) will allow you to update faces and update the software on the watch (but no notifications). I was able to do it when I had my pebble a few months ago (sold because of the lack of support).

Question on usage, can you set a app to get notifications from on the watch ? For example, I want to see my twitter notifications or Facebook, or Outlook email, can they be set to seen on the watch ?

Lloyyd

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you just Need to sideload it. The tool will say it does not work "because of packaging" or something, just ignore that and Keep pushing the button. It will work trust me.

To your other question, yes, you can get any notification from any app.

But don't Forget that you can't update a Pebble or search for Apps/Watchfaces with the WP app, you Need another device for that with iOs/android

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
But don't Forget that you can't update a Pebble or search for Apps/Watchfaces with the WP app, you Need another device for that with iOs/android

Thanks !!!!

You don't need another device.....

I'm telling you, There is some 3rd party pebble apps in the WP store, When I had my pebble, I downloaded one of them, it allowed me to change watch faces and update the software on the watch.

When I had it before, it's the only thing I could do with it on WP, change faces and update the watch...

If I get the time over the next few days, I'll try to find the app I am talking about but, I don't have a pebble right now...

I have not gotten a chance to install it yet, after the rebuild with Denim (on my ICON) I have not dev unlocked my phone yet...

Andrew Hadro

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
I could use some help.
I have registered my phone with a developer account, and I have the SDK installed. The Application Deployment tool only allows XAP files..
Help?

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm having difficulty loading the pebble notify app via visual studio. My lumia ICON is developer unlocked and I downloaded the SDK. I throw it onto my desktop and it shows as a appxbundle. When I navigate to this destination via the app deployment tool it gives me Error: The parameter is incorrect.

Not sure what I am doing wrong, help please?

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your helpful information. I think it will help all the Pebble watch users. I am going to buy a Modular smart watch. Can I use it with my Windows phone? Do you have any suggestion for me?
As far as I know, Windows Phone support has not been announced for the BLOCKS modular smartwatch.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your helpful information. I always found you very helpful. Do you have any update on think Blocks Modular Smart watch?
I'd say wait a few more hours until their Kickstarter launch on October 13th and I'm sure they will unveil quite a bit of information.

BLOCKS Kickstarter campaign launch times:

October 13, 2015-
*Launch Time for different time zones
9am PDT (San Francisco - West Coast US)
11am CDT (Chicago - Central US)
12 noon EDT (New York - East Coast US)
5pm BST (London - UK)
6pm CET (Central Europe)
9:30pm IST (Delhi)

Also, sorry for the thread hijack :) .

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am looking into buying a smartwatch for my son. He will be running Windows 10 Mobile on his phone. Will the Pebble Time smartwatch work? I see that there are workarounds on W8.1. I am wondering if there is anybody with a Pebble watch on W10M here?
thanks

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It won't work as well. this is the only app you can easily get, and read very closely what it's limitations are.

There is no official support from Pebble, and the third party developer is unable to access components that would make it useful (such as incoming call/text/email notifications, calendar support, and even being able to run in the background). It has been possible to mitigate some of those steps by converting your phone into a developer unit, but even that only works on the original and the Pebble Steel. And that;s assuming you don't update them to 3.0

Alan Morford

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party but...here's my setup:
Lumia 635 with 8.1 update 1 (preview for developers)
Dev unlocked
Pebble Steel firmware 3.8.2
I was able to sideload the pebble.appxbundle file to get the Pebble Connect Beta app installed. I enabled background usage for the app. In general I followed all of the instructions from here hxxp://forums.windowscentral.com/smartwatches/344559-how-use-your-pebble-watch-your-wp-phone.html.
However, when bluetooth is connected I don't receive any notifications at all. (Haven't tried calls yet). And now it seems that the watch does not want to stay connected to bluetooth. Can anyone that is currently using a similar setup comment on some things I can try? Thanks in advance.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm a bit late to the party but...here's my setup:
Lumia 635 with 8.1 update 1 (preview for developers)
Dev unlocked
Pebble Steel firmware 3.8.2
I was able to sideload the pebble.appxbundle file to get the Pebble Connect Beta app installed. I enabled background usage for the app. In general I followed all of the instructions from here hxxp://forums.windowscentral.com/smartwatches/344559-how-use-your-pebble-watch-your-wp-phone.html.
However, when bluetooth is connected I don't receive any notifications at all. (Haven't tried calls yet). And now it seems that the watch does not want to stay connected to bluetooth. Can anyone that is currently using a similar setup comment on some things I can try? Thanks in advance.

The Pebble Connect Beta is not compatible with the Pebble Time watches, nor the Original and Steel once they have been upgraded to OS 3. The Pebble Watch Pro <url redacted> is capable of reverting the Pebble and Pebble Steel to 2.4, which is needed to get notifications through the beta app.

...for some reason that url keeps on getting a tradedoubler wrapper without my consent. I have removed it and advice you to just search for pebble watch pro in the shop.

Alan Morford

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I think I'll keep the latest firmware. I did buy Pebble Watch Pro to check it out. It's a good app. Sad it doesn't have any way to get SMS or Calls.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. I think I'll keep the latest firmware. I did buy Pebble Watch Pro to check it out. It's a good app. Sad it doesn't have any way to get SMS or Calls.

Yeah there's a forum where the developer is chronicling his fight with Microsoft to get access to the accessories API. Microsoft won't budge because he's not officially affiliated with Pebble.

Meanwhile the guy behind the Blackberry version even gets special authorization to access more memory space than is normally allowed for headless apps.

Alan Morford

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
The blackberry app is pretty impressive. I was surprised. Do you have a link to the thread where the wp dev is tracking their effort? I'd like to get up to speed.

skstrials

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile the guy behind the Blackberry version even gets special authorization to access more memory space than is normally allowed for headless apps.

Where did you hear about this?

The headless mode was possible because the headless mode also removes some functions (script mode) that take up extra memory. I was not aware that the developer of Talk2Watch was given a special treatment.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Where did you hear about this?

The headless mode was possible because the headless mode also removes some functions (script mode) that take up extra memory. I was not aware that the developer of Talk2Watch was given a special treatment.

I think it was on the Pebble developer forum. Or maybe he mentioned it when I was asking about the 3.8 beta support. Either way, headless apps normally can only use about 4mb of RAM, but he was able to get 8mb for T2W, which is still not enough for scripts but enough for everything else.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills