For any who want a Smart Watch that works with Windows Phone...only a group will get noticed.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I am trying one last thing, an open letter style post on Facebook. However it will go for nothing if people just sit here in the forum and type "I Wish" "I want" "They Should".......

We need to gather likes and shares....they need to be directed to Microsoft, the department heads.

I have been at this now for a few months, and most have sat back and just said...hey i would buy that if......only a few have tweeted or liked.

All I can ask is Please take a few seconds to do something as a group. If not then I guess it just dies here.

If you have any interest at all.....here is the link

http://www.facebook.com/LetMoonrakerLive/posts/953017834770029

It lives or dies with you guys.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're on about actually. There's a perfectly good smartwatch. It's called the Microsoft Band. It works as a watch and also shows notifications, SMS and can control music (with an add-on app). All the things you're complaining about in your post don't exist. Except I have one on my wrist...

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has tried to work with Pebble to support the Pebble watches, however Pebble refused to do so (even though Microsoft had already built an application to run it). Direct your requests to the smartwatch creators.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
You know I support ya! Appreciate your efforts here, sadly I don't use or have Facebook. I'll probably use my Wife's account, just to help ya out here.

With MS releasing a second Band, hopefully they realize the importance of wearables and, maybe... Just maybe they will give us a watch.

For all those reading this that want or are even interested in this new technology movement into wearables, take a few moments... Click / tap a few buttons, let your voice be heard!

Best of luck to all!

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're on about actually. There's a perfectly good smartwatch. It's called the Microsoft Band. It works as a watch and also shows notifications, SMS and can control music (with an add-on app). All the things you're complaining about in your post don't exist. Except I have one on my wrist...
Sadly, this is a bracelet, maybe the new one could be considered more of a "cuff"... but not a watch. I know, slight distinction, but what you wear on your body needs to fit one's personal sense of fashion & style. For some, a band / bracelet / cuff just doesn't do it for them.
Microsoft has tried to work with Pebble to support the Pebble watches, however Pebble refused to do so (even though Microsoft had already built an application to run it). Direct your requests to the smartwatch creators.
Agreed, this was a problem not entirely of Microsoft's making. However, there are more than just one smartwatch maker and Microsoft has shown (now more than ever) that it is more than willing to make and market it's own hardware... Why not a watch?

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Ok I will break it down again, and I have no idea why some have such an issue seeing these as 2 different form factors. The Band and The Band 2 are Fitness straps first !!! They are made for people who lead an active lifestyle and are also interested in data such as run time, distance yadda yadda yadda.
I am not faulting Microsoft for the Band, it in fact is more then likely the top fitness wearable out there. It has a wonderful set of things it does and tracks, and yes it has the ability to work with Windows Phone. It can not have a Watch Face....the first and most important feature of a Watch.

So for me 80% of The Band and Band 2 are just not needed.....I don't need to track heart rate, or sleep, or golf swings, or steps, or know how far above sea level I am. It's all extra things I don't need and would never use. If you need a car and a Ford Fusion is what you want, would you buy a Mustang??????

Now does Microsoft have something sitting in the idea closet gathering dust????? Yes they do .....The Nokia Moonraker....a Smart Watch that should have come out with the Nokia Lumia 930 ( as it was ready to launch), Microsoft and it's buy up of Nokia canceled the Watch but still launched the phone.

For me and others Moonraker hit the sweet spot, more focus on connection with the phone and being able to interact as the phone stays in the pocket ( something I need at work!!!!!!! ).

microsoft-moonraker-ui-splash.jpg

microsoft-moonraker-ui-art.jpg

Now add the fact it looks like a Watch, has a Watch Face, and can give me the interaction with my phone from my wrist, as my phone stays safe in my pocket at work.

Can you see any difference now????? I don't need most of the 11 senors The Band and Band 2 has, so why buy what I don't want????

*EDIT*
Forgot to add the Watch Faces picture ( which over time I am sure would have gone crazy like Android wear faces)
moonn.jpg

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't consider the Band, since I'd want a smartwatch that looks good enough to wear to the office, not just to the gym. Watches have always been fashion accessories, and the Band is great for its functionality, but it is lacking in the style department.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't consider the Band, since I'd want a smartwatch that looks good enough to wear to the office, not just to the gym. Watches have always been fashion accessories, and the Band is great for its functionality, but it is lacking in the style department.

Smart watches are all terrible due to the conflicting constraints of providing functionality over form. To enable a watch to do anything meaningful means a large battery that makes them big and clunky. Just look at the Apple Watch for a prime example of a failed attempt. One day battery life for basically a chunky rectangle. The usefulness of such a tiny screen is very limiting too.

For smart and sexy with a yearly battery, buy a nice watch that people will think looks great and leave the screen in your pocket or purse.

I agree that the Band is a health accessory and has kept its focus on that. But it's done that because the value of a smart watch is limited. For trivial notifications, the Band does that fine. For anything more, a 'smart' watch is having a joke even trying.

grahamf

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
At this point I just want something that goes beep or blinks or something very noticeable because my HD LTE has a lousy speaker.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Smart watches are all terrible due to the conflicting constraints of providing functionality over form. To enable a watch to do anything meaningful means a large battery that makes them big and clunky. Just look at the Apple Watch for a prime example of a failed attempt. One day battery life for basically a chunky rectangle. The usefulness of such a tiny screen is very limiting too.

For smart and sexy with a yearly battery, buy a nice watch that people will think looks great and leave the screen in your pocket or purse.

I agree that the Band is a health accessory and has kept its focus on that. But it's done that because the value of a smart watch is limited. For trivial notifications, the Band does that fine. For anything more, a 'smart' watch is having a joke even trying.

I'm not sure which smartwatches you have tried, but with some of the latest releases the "usefulness" and functionality are quite impressive actually. Style, fashion, and what looks good to one person can be debated to no end, so I can understand if you don't like the looks of any of the current offerings.

Some smartwatches (like the Apple Watch and most Android Wear watches) will only give a day or two on battery life, however there are other smartwatches (Pebble Time and Cogito watches) that last a week or more and still offer some "smart" functionality.

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Please remember this is your opinion of Smart Watch and not the feeling of everyone. For you Smart Watch may be a joke or not worth investment, but for my needs simple is better....basic is better and needed !!!!!

In my case....and I am only 1 person, as 100 different people could have 100 different needs.....a simple Smart Watch like above , Moonraker, would give me more then I need in truth, but would fit so well into this use case. I need to be able to see texts as they come in, as working in a Factory that covers almost 4 square city blocks FRS radio failed to keep people in touch. Plus if you set your radio down you would not feel it vibrate ( if the other person even knew how to use it).
As now I have to stop what I am doing dig my head out of the machine get phone out of pocket to see is it a personal sms or work related.

Where as a Watch...I can keep an eye on time and texts with a look at my wrist, and control my music if I happen to be listening to it.

So yes the band could fit the need here, but it is overkill to an extreme !!!!! 11 waisted sensors doing nothing but chewing battery

Again if the band is your idea of a Smart Watch, I say I hope it does all you need and more, it is good gear, but not the form factor I want or need.

So a simple Smart Watch is still of use to others and can be all a person may ever need or want.

Also I am old so seeing a watch on my wrist is a comfort to me, as I can't wear my good watches to work for fear they will be damaged. My one divers watch is from the 70's and is worth almost $1000 ( more to me as it was the Last Watch from my Father's Store and has my family name on the face ).
So it also tickles the Watch fetish I have, as others collect watches, but they don't collect fitness bands.

Polychrome

May 15, 2011
Visit site
So for me 80% of The Band and Band 2 are just not needed.....I don't need to track heart rate, or sleep, or golf swings, or steps, or know how far above sea level I am. It's all extra things I don't need and would never use. If you need a car and a Ford Fusion is what you want, would you buy a Mustang??????

But having extra features does not somehow magically make the Mustang "not a car". The band is not somehow "not a watch" simply because it has a different aspect ratio and extra features. And keep in mind that many smartwatches in the other form factor have a lot of the same features that the band does. (Looking at you, Samsung.)

It's one thing if you don't like how it looks. But that doesn't change what the device is. Want watchfaces? Fanband has an app for you.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm not quite sure where the confusion is....

6ce8771e567e436e97f24266e372e1a6.jpg

8486e25c593f999267759c49074fde77.jpg

One of these things is not like the other... Plain to see in my opinion.

I, personally, don't mind bands... I have a Fitbit Flex, Razer Nabu x, Jawbone Up, Haloband, and a Embrace+. All share a very similar band / bracelet - type form factor and I'm fine with that. However, I can understand if someone doesn't like that particular style and prefers the look, feel, functionality of a traditional watch form factor. To this end, some would simply like to see a "traditional watch form-factored" device on the platform they have come to love, Windows Phone.

A little choice would be nice, wouldn't it?

TL Sorenson

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
One of my favorte watches from 15 years ago.

pulsar_spoon_secret_agent_man_sam_black_watch_in_box_pbu001s__needs_strap_fixed_1_lgw.jpg

I would say this looks more like the Band and I don't know how you would call it anything but a watch.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
One of my favorte watches from 15 years ago.

View attachment 114356

I would say this looks more like the Band and I don't know how you would call it anything but a watch.
The point of this thread was / is not to debate nomenclature. I think it's obvious that the above electronic watch does not fit the form factor used by probably 90% of other watches on the market. A form factor that the OP expressly stated was desired by himself and others.

The point was to try and give users / consumers a choice. Everyone is welcome to their opinions, likes and dislikes. Microsoft has already shown their interest in wearable technology, hopefully it's just a matter of time before they release a little more choice into their wearable ecosystem. We'll just have to wait a bit longer....

Implement

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
I agree I would much prefer a moonraker to a band.

I only want something that I can use for navigation, the weather, receiving notifications about email, calls, and text. something that tells the time, controls my music, gives me reminders, and maybe makes NFC payments.

I don't care about my heartrate, but the barometer, pedometer and altimeter is nice.

it should have very long battery like and maybe even wireless charging.

and a screen that is nice, that displays a watchface, with glance. also a device that can be worn like a watch on the top of my wrist, not on the underside of my wrist. with a screen "square" or "circular" enough to get useful text information. Not something that looks like a Nasdaq stock exchange ticker.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
But having extra features does not somehow magically make the Mustang "not a car". The band is not somehow "not a watch" simply because it has a different aspect ratio and extra features. And keep in mind that many smartwatches in the other form factor have a lot of the same features that the band does. (Looking at you, Samsung.)

It's one thing if you don't like how it looks. But that doesn't change what the device is. Want watchfaces? Fanband has an app for you.

The Band is not the topic of debate, and I am not trying to knock it down, I have on many posts said it is more then likely the top fitness wearable out there, but I am not an expert on tech.

I will say yes a Mustang is a Car also but if a Ford Fusion is what I want, no matter how nice the Mustang is it is still overkill.

Now all that said I would still not class the Band as a Smart Watch. It is a fitness strap first and foremost, with the ability to keep time. It was not designed to be a watch, it's main focus is health and fitness.

As to Fanband....a wallpaper changer still does not make a Watch Face.

*EDIT* I even made the suggestion of a name change for Moonraker, so 2 form factors could fit into one family....

Watch-band.jpg

Please stop trying to side track the issue, that there is room for another form factor to sell along side the Band.

For people who do not wish to have a Band as it does not fit into what some class as a Watch ( even if it has the ability to keep time).

Much like a Goat also gives Milk, no matter how hard you try it will never be a cow.

Last edited:

Greywolf1967

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Well just so the people who keep pushing The Band and Band 2 can now know....I saw it up close and personnel, and I am very very sorry to say....who were the designers.....people with visual impairment????????

To be of use the screen must be on inside of wrist, and the outside you end up with a huge lump of plastic and metal, where a watch should be.....but it's just a lump.

Now if it fits your needs and you like the looks of it, more power to you !!! I truly hope it will gather all the data you want and need. However The Band is not a 1 item fits all form factors item. I still say a top notch fitness strap, but a Smart Watch it is not !!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3