Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
    Developer

Hello there,

just wondering if by any chance the WP8 emulator can be installed on a machine which lacks hardware visualization support.
    I don't care for the performance of the emulator under this circumstances, I just want to be able to run it and deploy apps from VS in order to debug / test them.

So, any ideas?
    (btw: my proc is Intel T6400)

Global Posts
    8,087 Global Posts
    Nope. The emulator requires Hyper-V to run at all. That means you have no choice but to have a Core i-series chip in order to get Second Level Address Translation. It's not a matter of the speed of the emulator, but hardware capabilities required to run it in the first place.
    Developer

Then this kind of ruins WP8 for me.
    Thanks tho for the fast reply.

I'm in your boat, too. I'm going to have to debug/test using my own phone which I'm not too happy about.
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by Mystictrust View Post
    I'm in your boat, too. I'm going to have to debug/test using my own phone which I'm not too happy about.
    I don't have a phone. That's why I'm interested in getting this emulator to work on my laptop.
    I will see if I can trick it somehow using a virtual machine - if I can get one to work that is.

Quote Originally Posted by blinkk2 View Post
    I don't have a phone. That's why I'm interested in getting this emulator to work on my laptop.
    I guess you have two options then (short of getting new hardware, obviously)

-Develop the app as best you can and send a beta link to others here on the forums to test
    -Develop WP7.5 apps using the old emulator (obvious downside: No access to new stuff)

Those are the only things I can think of. I don't think there are any tricks to getting the emulator to run okay :(
    Thanked by:
    Developer

I guess I am. After reading a bit I found out that software-only virtualization is impossible on 64bit Intel processors.
    Maybe I will give the beta link option a chance. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Developer

I'm also stuck with this problem. I have Core2Quad @ 2.6 Ghz in my PC, and given it's capabilities, it's pretty pointless going for a Core ix just for running the emulator. :(

I have a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. Really don't fancy having to save up to buy a new one.

You will also need the pro version of windows 8. The normal one won't let you run the emu as it doesn't support hyper v.

Yeah I have Pro. Microsoft are selling it for ~25 for a limited time.