Can the WP8 emulator be installed on a PC that does not support hw virtualization?

blinkk2

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello there,

just wondering if by any chance the WP8 emulator can be installed on a machine which lacks hardware visualization support.
I don't care for the performance of the emulator under this circumstances, I just want to be able to run it and deploy apps from VS in order to debug / test them.

So, any ideas?
(btw: my proc is Intel T6400)

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Nope. The emulator requires Hyper-V to run at all. That means you have no choice but to have a Core i-series chip in order to get Second Level Address Translation. It's not a matter of the speed of the emulator, but hardware capabilities required to run it in the first place.

blinkk2

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm in your boat, too. I'm going to have to debug/test using my own phone which I'm not too happy about.
I don't have a phone. That's why I'm interested in getting this emulator to work on my laptop.
I will see if I can trick it somehow using a virtual machine - if I can get one to work that is.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't have a phone. That's why I'm interested in getting this emulator to work on my laptop.
I guess you have two options then (short of getting new hardware, obviously)

-Develop the app as best you can and send a beta link to others here on the forums to test
-Develop WP7.5 apps using the old emulator (obvious downside: No access to new stuff)

Those are the only things I can think of. I don't think there are any tricks to getting the emulator to run okay :(

blinkk2

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am. After reading a bit I found out that software-only virtualization is impossible on 64bit Intel processors.
Maybe I will give the beta link option a chance. Thanks for the suggestion.

4bh1sh3k

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also stuck with this problem. I have Core2Quad @ 2.6 Ghz in my PC, and given it's capabilities, it's pretty pointless going for a Core ix just for running the emulator. :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa