Anyone willing to make 3rd party BBM?

Gerhard de Clercq

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Some of my friends are getting very frustrated with the lack of BBM on Windows Phone 8 and with the lack of developers and money currently at BlackBerry I doubt they will come around to making a Windows Phone version this century, so I investigated an alternative. I figured out that the Android BBM app is a simple Java app (not native) and I could therefore easily manage to decompile it and view the source code, I just don't have the time or experience to extract the relevant API information from the source and use it in a new WP app, but I bet some other talented developer would!

I don't want to post the decompiled source or anything because it's not mine and it's probably therefore not legal to distribute it. I also can't remember what tools I used to decompile it but just search for a link to the apk and some free Java decompiler and you should be on your way in no time!

Anyone up to the challenge?

Gerhard de Clercq

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Because BlackBerry 10 uses QML/C+ not Java.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I know but previous editions of the OS did indeed use Java and how to you explain me actually being able to decompile the APK with a Java decompiler, there was for sure some BlackBerry code in there and not just some standard Android libraries. Just try decompiling it yourself before you decide that it should probably be in C++ (I thought it would be too but was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case and thus created this thread).

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes I know but previous editions of the OS did indeed use Java and how to you explain me actually being able to decompile the APK with a Java decompiler, there was for sure some BlackBerry code in there and not just some standard Android libraries. Just try decompiling it yourself before you decide that it should probably be in C++ (I thought it would be too but was pleasantly surprised to see that was not the case and thus created this thread).

Lmao and now your just over thinking things. Trust me BBM for iOS and Android ARE NOT built with Java.

chris_t

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that Java/C+ are really that important. BBM needs access to BBRY servers, don't think anyone can that so easily.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Gerhard de Clercq

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that Java/C+ are really that important. BBM needs access to BBRY servers, don't think anyone can that so easily.

Sent from my Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

Yes, access to the servers is obviously the important factor but if you have access to the BBM source then you can reverse engineer all the needed protocols and if it is in Java then it can be decompiled as to allow you to look at the code and try to deduct the server protocols.

Gerhard de Clercq

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I used to own blackberry devices, I was one of the ones who brought the leaked OS's to the masses. I built my own apps for Blackberry. I know what I'm talking about.

Decompiling a apk is easy, I just have to throw it into eclipse and open the package

Listen, I hear you but I am telling you that I get a large amount of seemingly useful code once decompiled. I am just not sure that it will be as simple as just opening it in eclipse, it will probably be obfuscated unless blackberry really just don't care.

Gerhard de Clercq

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok well since no one believes me I'll have to do it myself then. The question now is though, would it be legal to sell this app and if not put adds on it and if not simply distribute it for free?

Could someone knowledgeable please clear that up for me?

numetheus

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I don't think this is possible. For several reasons. One, there is no API and access to the network. And two, BBM uses BlackBerry secure back end. To make a BBM app, you would have to make use of a non existent API or tap into the secure network. To do that, you will have to break the encryption. And if you did that, whomever made the app will likely be sued for circumventing their secure network. I seriously doubt a 3rd party BBM app that is legally ran is possible.
Other apps that are 3rd party work because there is either an API, or communicate via an insecure method that allows someone to analyze communication and mimic how the official app does it. This isn't possible with a network that is secure enough that governments and enterprise world wide trusts it.

numetheus

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Now of course ... If you did manage to find a way to tap into the BB secure network, you would be accomplishing what many people have been trying to do for a very long time unsuccessfully. I would applaud you. But would that be worth it? It would be illegal and you would face legal repercussions, then your method of tapping into the network would surely be closed. Because if they did not, they would no longer be trusted ... Which they can't have.

Gerhard de Clercq

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I have figured it out, it seems that the bulk of the Android application is indeed written in Java and could be decompiled, BUT some of the important things like the encryption engine and the BBMCore are C++ libraries that are imported and used by the Java application. These are unfortunately not really decompileable. If they are clean C++ (as in contain no Android specific code) and were compiled to ARM binaries then it might still be possible to use them on Windows Phone but this is an extreme long shot and will probably not work as don't think I have ever heard of such a portable native library. Any thoughts?

numetheus

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
What does it matter what language it is written in? BlackBerry is used by large enterprise and government because of the secure back end network, not because the application itself is secure. BBM uses this network. You aren't going to be able to register your 3rd party program with their highly secure network legally without their permission. Or ... Is the intent to illegally mimic a BlackBerry PIN every time you want to connect? Because ... You are recognized by PIN not username to the network you know.

Sent from my RM-940_nam_att_200 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3