The Possibility of Redeveloping an Apk To Xap

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Redevelop? Considering 're-developing' something would mean coding it again, then yes.

If you mean something else (like make an apk install like a xap with a few tweaks), then no.

Garneth

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Totally possible, but it would involve at the very least decompiling the apk, unobfuscating the code, translating the java to c#, transferring all images into your new project, re-building the user interface, and more.

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Totally possible, but it would involve at the very least decompiling the apk, unobfuscating the code, translating the java to c#, transferring all images into your new project, re-building the user interface, and more.

Wow. That's really a lot of work .

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So , this is possible to achieve ?

I mean, yeah, its possible. Garneth just explained how a few posts ago. It would pretty much require the same amount of work from any type of app unless maybe an .apk to a .bar since BB somehow is able to run Android apps.

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
I mean, yeah, its possible. Garneth just explained how a few posts ago. It would pretty much require the same amount of work from any type of app unless maybe an .apk to a .bar since BB somehow is able to run Android apps.

Has anyone try to do it on Windows Phone ?

badplanet

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Depending on what the app does, you may end up with a better app if it is rewritten for WP8 and designed to take advantage of the WP's unique features. On the other hand, it may need features that are not possible on the current version of WP8. For instance Pebble did not port their app to WP because it is not currently possible to run in the background or intercept SMS to display on their watch.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible to redevelop an apk file to xap ? Just asking .

it would be much easier to get the developers attention with 10,000 requests for the app on wp,
but then you'd have to find 10,000 people using wp that want -that- app.

if 10,000 people pinged with $10 a piece, you -might- get a dev's attention. unfortunately, that's not a lot of money for a single developer, and not even lunch for a big app development team.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
it would be much easier to get the developers attention with 10,000 requests for the app on wp,
but then you'd have to find 10,000 people using wp that want -that- app.

if 10,000 people pinged with $10 a piece, you -might- get a dev's attention. unfortunately, that's not a lot of money for a single developer, and not even lunch for a big app development team.

oh come on, have a little more faith in WP ;) Nokia sold somewhere around 10 million Lumias (supposedly) this quarter, so I'm sure you could get more than 10,000.

Also, $100,000 is actually a pretty nice chunk of money to start-ups. Remember Hemlis? They (supposedly) had a goal to set up servers that were untappable and offer a seamless IM service for $100,000.

But I agree, getting dev's attention is the best way to get an Android app to WP.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
And getting the developer's attention wouldn't involve violating his intellectual property rights. We're developers here, and we're talking about stealing someone else's work???

cuwe

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
And getting the developer's attention wouldn't involve violating his intellectual property rights. We're developers here, and we're talking about stealing someone else's work???
We're not talking about stealing someone else's work here . Just for education .

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Find an open source project to disassemble for education. Discussing taking an apk and turning it into a xap sure doesn't sound like it's just for education. If you had rights to the apk, you'd have the source code and would be able to make the code from there.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
oh come on, have a little more faith in WP ;) Nokia sold somewhere around 10 million Lumias (supposedly) this quarter, so I'm sure you could get more than 10,000.

Also, $100,000 is actually a pretty nice chunk of money to start-ups. Remember Hemlis? They (supposedly) had a goal to set up servers that were untappable and offer a seamless IM service for $100,000.

But I agree, getting dev's attention is the best way to get an Android app to WP.

you took it the wrong way. organize the 10,000 people, willing to kick start the app, then tell me its easy. :thumbup:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3