NestWP (Beta in store - free)

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Hey everyone,

BETA IN STORE
Store
(app was temporarily unpublished,but is now live again, might take some time until all markets see it as published again)

Today I purchased a Nest, but found the lack of decent Nest apps for Windows Phone quite disturbing.
They're either payed or don't work anymore. I had a quick browse through the Nest API and it's simple enough.

So I decided to create my own, free, Nest app. (I'm also working on a Zune inspired media player, but the Nest app gets a priority).
This thread is to track my progress, and feature requests. I'm creating my own interface, as some apps get pulled because they look too much like the official Nest app. I will not be supporting the smoke detector, for now, as I don't own one.

What is already working:
- Logging in to your Nest account
- Getting your Nest information
- Sending voice commands to the app (like: Nest, set temperature to 20 degrees)
- Voice feedback after voice commands (like: The temperate has been set to 20 degrees)
This is useful for like when you are driving, so you don't have to check the screen if the app performed your command.
- Send the info to your Nest
- More voice commands and voice feedback
- Finish support for multiple homes (nearly done)
- Create settings and login screen

To do:
- Live tile
- More voice commands and settings
- Smoke detector
- More UI info

Voice command list (WIP)
- Set temperature
- Set away/coming home

Here's a WIP screenshot
wp_ss_20150129_0003.png

I will include several ways of saying one command, like:
I'm coming home / I'm on my way / I'll be home soon / ...

I'm hoping to have a small beta by the end of the week.
It will be a WP8.1 (Silverlight) app.

If there are any feature requests or ideas, let me know :wink:

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150127_0005.jpg
    wp_ss_20150127_0005.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: NestWP (Free Nest app)

"I'm also working on a Zune inspired media player.." You make this work with my collection on OneDrive and you will have all kinds of new friends. Beginning with me.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if you make a media app similar to the functionality of ZUNE, I will buy it.

Regarding Nest, it is supposed to work with the Insteon system. I haven't tried it. Maybe you could keep this in the back of your mind to incorporate too? Just an idea.

I'm just beginning installing a whole house Insteon system in my home. I'm starting with the Insteon thermostat that came with the original kit but may upgrade to the next Nest if they add remote synced thermostats. Check out the "Home: On" podcast. They talk about Nest, Insteon and the others.

Best wishes, I'll keep watching.

Last edited:

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

"I'm also working on a Zune inspired media player.." You make this work with my collection on OneDrive and you will have all kinds of new friends. Beginning with me.
The Zune media player will have the look and feel of the desktop Zune. I hadn't thought about OneDrive support, that's a very good idea.
I 'll definitely see if I can integrate that.

Yes, if you make a media app similar to the functionality of ZUNE, I will buy it.

Regarding Nest, it is supposed to work with the Insteon system. I haven't tried it. Maybe you could keep this in the back of your mind to incorporate too? Just an idea.

I'm just beginning installing a whole house Insteon system in my home. I'm starting with the Insteon thermostat that came with the original kit but may upgrade to the next Nest if they add remote synced thermostats. Check out the "Home: On" podcast. They talk about Nest, Insteon and the others.

Best wishes, I'll keep watching.
It will be free, I'm a full time Windows developer, but the apps I make in my spare time are just for the thrill of it. I want to support the WP community in any way I can, and if that is making apps, so be it :grin:

I have never worked with the Insteon system, but it's a good idea. I don't own any Insteon hardware tho, so I have no real way of testing it.
I like my apps to be thoroughly tested, and the only way to do that is with real hardware. I'll listen to the podcast, might give me some more ideas.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of Cortana setting the temperature
View attachment 94970

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

The Zune media player will have the look and feel of the desktop Zune. I hadn't thought about OneDrive support, that's a very good idea.
I 'll definitely see if I can integrate that.

It will be free, I'm a full time Windows developer, but the apps I make in my spare time are just for the thrill of it. I want to support the WP community in any way I can, and if that is making apps, so be it :grin:

I have never worked with the Insteon system, but it's a good idea. I don't own any Insteon hardware tho, so I have no real way of testing it.
I like my apps to be thoroughly tested, and the only way to do that is with real hardware. I'll listen to the podcast, might give me some more ideas.

Anyway, here's a screenshot of Cortana setting the temperature
View attachment 94970

Thank you for supporting Windows phone!

The look and feel of the desktop Zune is Amazing! I use it everyday. Thank you.

If you are interested, in the future, about adding duel channel Insteon home automation to your App, you can get started very inexpensively.

Best Wishes.

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

Thank you for supporting Windows phone!

The look and feel of the desktop Zune is Amazing! I use it everyday. Thank you.

If you are interested, in the future, about adding duel channel Insteon home automation to your App, you can get started very inexpensively.

Best Wishes.

I am definitely interested, once I get round to buying some stuff I can see how well I can integrate it into this or a new app.
The Nest app is nearly done, just need to round up some stuff and then it will be ready for beta testing, should be uploaded to the store by tomorrow.

What's left to do:
- Finish the UI
- Finish support for multiple homes (nearly done)
- Create settings and login screen

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I was going to say there was a Nest alternative, that I believe WindowsCentral did an article on, called Nestle.
But looking in the store, its showing as "This app is no longer published". Wonder what happened??

But good to see an alternative...

G.

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, that was also a reason why I decided to create the app.
I had Nestle installed before it was pulled, but when denim would come for my device I'd lose the app.
I didn't want to pay for an app so creating my own was the best option.

I cant seem to install it from the store tho, it, downloads and starts installing but then it says 'attention required'.
It deploys fine from my pc to my phone tho :eck:

JasonKruys

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Yup. Can confirm it will not install from the store...gets to finalising and then errors out.
Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk (with free typos)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I would have thought during MS Store testing phase they'd have picked that up...

G.
The testing probably goes something like this:

"Does the file name end with .appx?"
"Yup!"
"Approved!"

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Quite possible!

Though I would have thought they'd be more checks in place, to make sure an app doesn't have any hidden nasty's...

G.

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Yes, but Microsoft must have broken the app during the submission process. Because when I deploy my original app to my device, it works fine, it's only broken after the submission process. I'll submit new app and see if that works.

Glenn Ruysschaert

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ok, great to hear!
I've pulled to app temporarily while it was broken so it might be inaccessible still in some places, but should come back soon.
There are some UI update bugs which I plan on fixing asap, but the core functionality should work without any problems.

Oh, and the install issue was because there was a missing asset. But neither Visual Studio nor the app store says the asset is missing, so it's hard to track that bug down. Microsoft should really fix this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99