Sprint and Windows Phone-- is there a chance anything new is coming?

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been considering jumping carriers for a while because Spring could give two craps about Windows phone. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ativ S Neo, but I'd like to see some new hardware in the pipeline.

The thing is, I just moved to a new apartment and for the first time in my life w/ Sprint, I have full, four bars of LTE in every room.

It is glorious.

So I'm sticking with Sprint a while longer. Does anyone foresee more Windows devices in the future? Is there a chance of a Nokia/Microsoft device coming along?

strikeswp

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, its good news and I sure hate to complain about the device they chose... but man... why the 735? The narcissist phone. 6.7Mp main camera? Bleh, roll out the 930 and the Icon and I will be a very happy Sprint customer.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, its good news and I sure hate to complain about the device they chose... but man... why the 735? The narcissist phone. 6.7Mp main camera? Bleh, roll out the 930 and the Icon and I will be a very happy Sprint customer.

the 6.7 MP snapper in it and the 720 is actually quite nice. No OIS, but it has a larger apeture (more light let in) etc
assuming they didn't upgrade it in the 730. Well, certainly beats the 5 MP on many other Lumia's.

finnius

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Sprint rumored to get a phone? I am still waiting for Sprint to admit the 8XT will get 8.1 as tweeted by HTC several weeks ago. Sprint Cares and stores know absolutely nothing about it. I went to a Sprint store yesterday looking for rumors. The guy said (and I roughly quote) "I hate to say it, but if you are set on Windows phone you should probably go to T-Mobile. The Windows Phones just never sell here and I don't think Sprint has the money to invest in a flagship phone if anything at all." So I asked how much it would cost to cancel my three lines. Probably wasn't expecting that. I didn't yet, but I am about done with Sprint, their complete disregard of Windows Phone, their awful reception (in the 4th largest city in the nation!) and their inability to even attempt to try to convince customers to stay. If they do by some miracle get a Nokia phone it does not surprise me that it is a 735. Not a 10something, not a 9something, not even an 8something but a 735 or 730 or 720. They always get middling hardware long after everybody else got knew killer flagships. (Lookin at you 1020, Icon and 920, 930). I personally would like a choice of the HTC One 8, the Icon and a new 10something or 9something. Preferably a metal body. I really don't love those plastic Nokia bodies. Also don't like the curved down edges of the Lumias, but hey, beggars cant be choosers. Of course, Sprint is well aware and confident of that. They try to keep us hooked on so-so hardware hoping that someday Sprint will get a good phone and renewing our contracts yet again with nothing more than wishful thinking.

finnius

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Follow on: I just read both the 730 and 735 come with 8GB of internal storage. This is ridiculous. The biggest problem with my 8XT is the 8GB of ROM! I have a microSD card where I store all music, video and pics, but still I have to constantly figure out what app to remove if I want to download a new game. I barely have any Apps compared to your typical smartphone user!!! We need 16 MB minimum, 32 would be better. So I was right, another useless olive branch of mock sympathy from Sprint if it is true.

Update:
Wait what?!?! Now I am reading that is in fact a 635, not a 735. A 635 I can buy in Target with no contract. Why the hell would I continue to pay Sprint's exorbitant rates for that???? The 635 isn't even middling, it is pure garbage. 512 KB RAM, 8 GB internal memory, low resolution screen. Nothing nice looking about it at all. If they truly get a 635 (wtf????) that will be the straw that finally finally finally breaks the camels back. Verizon? Icon? Here I come.

Last edited:

SEKKDS

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
This reply is coming late. But I read this and have to ask. As a fellow Sprint HTC 8XT user, I too at first was not thrilled at all about 8GB and feeling I'd have to really pick and choose which apps really need to be with me on this phone. However....!! I do use a 64 GB microSD card and all my apps go there. 64 GB is puh-lennty of space to spare for all the apps you could ever want to put on your phone, plus games, photos and videos too. At first I was partial to wanting apps on the phone rather than on a microSD card, but after just trying it out, there is practically no difference. The apps work perfectly fine from the microSD. The only exception are the few apps that require you to download it to the phone. Hopefully that does not become a trend with apps, but there are a few. So, all in all... 8GB does suck, but, for me at least, a microSD card slot completely takes that issue away.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've actually been ramping up my old GS3. I suspect that Sprint isn't interested in a top tier WP...(hope I'm wrong...)

However, even though we know the 8.1 upgrade is targeted for early Dec...I just don't know if Sprint & WP are a good combination. I'd go back to Android before I'd leave Sprint...coverage is really good here.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site

Yeah the 735 is marketed as the "selfie phone", but it looks like a good overall phone, and with SD card support and a removable battery it has some features over the Icon. If Verizon and MSFT continue their pi**ing match over the 8.1/Cyan/Denim updates and Sprint offers to pay my ETF, I'll be back.

ajb1965

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I would avoid Sprint due to coverage. Try At&t, they have a wide selection.

This!

Sprint is notorious for horrible coverage. Where I live they have been charging users for 4G since 2011, but it just got fully deployed earlier this year. It's ridiculous, especially since this is the 5th largest city in the U.S.

I'm on another carrier and was lamenting their treatment/selection of Windows phones, but read these forums and am feeling much better :devil:

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I had really good voice coverage with Sprint, and while their 4G data is good and coverage is getting better, the pre-4G data had only adequate speed. Overall, I was happy with them, and only switched to get the Icon. I had tried to get a deal on the HTC 8XT to replace my failing BlackBerry Q10, but they wouldn't do it.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I love the 8XT, and I'm very happy with Sprint's coverage with 4G in my area. Solid 4G data connections all the way around my area...I really want to see Sprint step up and get an HTC One for Windows, but I have a HTC One (m7) to fall back on if they don't step it up on WP, so I do have a relatively recent device I can fall back to if I have to.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6