Are Sprint phones still unable to be used on GSM networks?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Are Sprint phones still unable to be used on GSM networks

I know the limitations of CDMA and GSM playing nicely with each other, but with networks like Verizon being forced to make their devices GSM unlocked out of the box, is this still impossible with Sprint?

I'm guessing the answer is sadly no considering a quick bing search shows no promising results, but still...

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Are Sprint phones still unable to be used on GSM networks

My question for you is, do you know of a CDMA device that works on a GSM platform or visa versa?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

My question for you is, do you know of a CDMA device that works on a GSM platform or visa versa?

Pretty much a giant ton of Verizon devices that have been released in the past few years such as the Nokia Lumia ICON, Note 4, LG G3 etc.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

And then there are devices that are sold directly from the manufacturer and work out of the box on CDMA & GSM networks all over the world such as the Nexus 6P

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Pretty much a giant ton of Verizon devices that have been released in the past few years such as the Nokia Lumia ICON, Note 4, LG G3 etc.

A giant ton?? Well now. You've seen a GSM device work on Sprints CDMA network? Are you guessing or you know for a fact that sprint (CDMA) activates Verizon (GSM) phones on its network?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
A giant ton?? Well now. You've seen a GSM device work on Sprints CDMA network? Are you guessing or you know for a fact that sprint (CDMA) activates Verizon (GSM) phones on its network?

My original post is simply asking if Sprint phones can work on GSM networks as of now? And I mentioned that there are a ton of Verizon devices that can work on GSM networks because they come unlocked put of the box to compare.

I don't know where your going with all of this. I never said Sprint phones activate Verizon devices on their network.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

My original post is simply asking if Sprint phones can work on GSM networks as of now?

Yes, it it technically possible. Sprint, like Verizon, utilizes LTE which requires GSM capabilities. As long as the device has a clean IMEI and is fully paid for, Sprint is required by law to provide the unlock code. It should then work on any GSM network. The difference between Sprint and Verizon is that Verizon is not allowed to SIM lock their phones, but Sprint can and does.

As a tip, if you request an unlock code from Sprint, be sure to specify that you want the MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code, rather than DSU (Domestic SIM Unlock) or ISU (International SIM Unlock).

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

My original post is simply asking if Sprint phones can work on GSM networks as of now? And I mentioned that there are a ton of Verizon devices that can work on GSM networks because they come unlocked put of the box to compare.

I don't know where your going with all of this. I never said Sprint phones activate Verizon devices on their network.

Let me stop here then because I thought I read your question asking if CDMA can work on GSM. Carry on.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd research each model on a case by case basis and see what usable GSM radios might be on board.

For example, the CDMA variant of Lumia 635 that sold for Sprint, Boost and Virgin has GSM (2G) all bands/frequencies, WCDMA (3G) 850/1900/2100 MHz and LTE bands 25/26/41.

So no LTE off of Sprint and no H+ on T-Mo areas not yet refarmed to LTE.

Nokia Lumia 635 (CDMA) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Best this device will do would be H+ on AT&T or an ATT mvno. T-Mo towers might have it stuck on EDGE in some areas.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd research each model on a case by case basis and see what usable GSM radios might be on board.

For example, the CDMA variant of Lumia 635 that sold for Sprint, Boost and Virgin has GSM (2G) all bands/frequencies, WCDMA (3G) 850/1900/2100 MHz and LTE bands 25/26/41.

So no LTE off of Sprint and no H+ on T-Mo areas not yet refarmed to LTE.

Nokia Lumia 635 (CDMA) Specs, Features (Phone Scoop)

Best this device will do would be H+ on AT&T or an ATT mvno. T-Mo towers might have it stuck on EDGE in some areas.

I was looking at the HTC One M9 for sprint and can't seem to find the Sprint variants bands in specific anywhere...

If it uses 850 & 1900mhz I'm good, right? For use on AT&T that is

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

Yes, it it technically possible. Sprint, like Verizon, utilizes LTE which requires GSM capabilities. As long as the device has a clean IMEI and is fully paid for, Sprint is required by law to provide the unlock code. It should then work on any GSM network. The difference between Sprint and Verizon is that Verizon is not allowed to SIM lock their phones, but Sprint can and does.

As a tip, if you request an unlock code from Sprint, be sure to specify that you want the MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code, rather than DSU (Domestic SIM Unlock) or ISU (International SIM Unlock).

Ok, I have a sprint Lumia 635 and sprint gave me the msl code.
How do iI unlock it so my cricket sim will work?
Thank you

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I have a sprint Lumia 635 and sprint gave me the msl code.
How do iI unlock it so my cricket sim will work?
Thank you
Put your Cricket SIM card in it and boot it up. You should see a message giving further direction.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site
Try dialing *#7820# and see if that gets you the unlock screen...

Unfortunately that didn't work. Nothing happened, I tried some other combinations but got no menu to come up.
This is very disappointing as I thought after all these years Sprint was improving. Guess not, I have been a Sprint customer since July 1999. In the three days I have had a cricket SIM in my sons old Lumia 520 I have enjoyed the good signal, speeds and better battery life.

I will say that my Lumia 635 on Sprint performed flawless while in midland TX two weeks ago. I had great signal, fast speed and battery lasted from 6:30am to 10 pm. I don't get that where I live.

I hope someone can help me get the 635 unlocked, so my daughter can use it. Other daughter will use 520 and I will get a 650 or 950.
Thank you.

Jan 3, 2008
Visit site

I now used windows device recovery tool to go back to 8.1.
O still can't find a way to bring up screen for me to enter a unlock code.

There has to be a screen as sprint will allow the SIM unlocked for int. Travel as well.

I have from Sprint the Master subscription lock code (msl). The pin code and the puk code. No one can tell me how to get to screen that I can enter any of these.

I have tried every key code I can find on web in the dialer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon