Do you think the surface laptop is strong enough to be a real gaming machine?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Well, you can upgrade the Windows 10 S to Pro if you're using Steam so that shouldn't be a problem.

Bigger problem is that I can't see Surface Laptop being a gaming machine because it doesn't have a graphics card at all, so you should be getting around 50 fps on medium for Counterstrike on the i5 model and a bit more fps on the i7 model as I think it has the Iris graphics instead.

Surface Laptop was not meant to be a gaming machine, there are plenty of laptops for gaming with a GPU, even though you can get a high end desktop PC for less money so it really depends on budget and needs.

It could be a whole different story though with the Surface Laptop if it had a Thunderbolt 3 port as then you could be playing around with external graphics card which could significantly enhance the performance.

JohnnyRedLight

May 12, 2017
Visit site
That depends on what you define as "real gaming machine". Personally, I don't think a PC is a "gaming machine" unless it has a dedicated GPU, even if it is a lower end GPU.

The Iris graphics will allow you to play some games at a higher framerate than the regular integrated graphics but it's still integrated graphics.

I'm currently using the Skylake i7-6560u with Iris 540 and it CAN play some games.
Hearthstone (Well... hearthstone will play on a potato), Older GOG games all run super.
Bioshock: infinite, Diablo 3, Might and Magic X, etc. Lowest 16:9 resolution with low settings and you can get 30fps.

Admitedly, the new KabyLake Iris will be a little better. havent seen benchmarchs but I would guess it wouldnt be more than 20% over the Skylake Iris.

Rani Zahreddin

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
Thin laptops in general are not meant for demanding AAA games like DOOM, GTA V, etc... since they don't have strong graphics cards and if you manage to fit one they will have a tendency to overheat.

So the only "gaming" option on a surface are less demanding games like Minecraft, Dota, LoL, etc.

sod1497

May 17, 2017
Visit site
I don't think it is, but if it can handle some soft gaming it would be great (like LoL, Dota, The binding of Isaac...)

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
With the Iris Plus 640, I see some potential, but a hardcore gaming machine it aint and won't ever be. However, seeing that I've been playing some older and/or lighter titles when on the move on my SP3 (i5), the SL (i7) should be much better, relatively speaking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos