does the surface's lack usb type C put you off the surface?

zlat

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
I think it is a natural progression of changing ports as new models are released so right now its not going to put me off, but possibly will do down the line

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Honestly, USB-C hasn't reached maturity yet. There aren't anywhere near as many machines out there with USB-C ports as there are with USB-A ports and that makes all the difference in the world. As it stands, most schools have desktops outfitted with only USB-A ports, so thumb drives will be easy to swap and very useful for the Surface Laptop. If it only had a USB-C port, you'd be left looking for an A-to-C adapter or just sending everything to yourself or using cloud storage anytime you had to use a school computer. Granted, that's easier to do now that it used to be, but it's still more of a pain than just using a thumb drive (in my opinion anyway).

SpaciousZebra

May 16, 2017
Visit site
It does, only because I'd like this laptop to still be impressive 5-7 years down the road. Of course, maybe USB-C doesn't catch on any more than it has at this point, or maybe a cheap, simple device can be purchased a few years from now that gets you USB-C from a normal port somehow. Maybe it already exists!

That's why I'm hoping I win the giveaway, anyways - dishing out $1300 for this baby is hard for me to justify with the 1 old USB port.

mehonja

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I don't care much about USB-C port either. I'm much more happier that it has two USB3 ports.
But, what is Surface Connect port? There are two of them.

Edit: Sorry, that was Surface Book, not Laptop.

GG002

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
At first, I was a bit surprised about the design choice, but then I remembered that on my Lumia 950XL, it's been nothing but an inconvenience so far. I can never borrow other people's chargers because USB-C isn't popular enough yet, and on my Surface Pro 3, I have all cables and adapters I would need to transition to a Surface Laptop if I chose to do that.

Besides, I still think USB-sticks are the best way to quickly transfer something between computers, and for most of them you still need, you guessed it, USB-A. I'd take USB-A over USB-C for the coming years, still, because USB-C is too immature. I know some people criticise MS for not "pushing the envelope" here when they've done it in other areas, but regarding how they've pushed the design choices for the Surface line is different than pushing an industry standard (USB-C) that's still very far off.

Adam Gierscher

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm disappointed that there is no USB 3.1/type C, because you can get USB 2 devices to work with USB 3 machines, but you can't get USB 3 devices to work with USB 2 machines. Adapters don't bother me.

However, it isn't a deal breaker, because I almost never use wired peripherals.

Plus for the Surface Laptop Contest on now, if I win it I'd be upgrading my grandmother so it would actually benefit her not to need an adapter.

partol

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
It's a hard choice. USB-C is more flexible but USB-A is much more popular. Of course it is possible to connect USB-A device to USB-C port via adapter but you have to carry an adapter what is Apple like stupid thing. Eh.

So nice piece of equipment and so hard choice. LOL

ajcletus500

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Not that I use a USB C port,but I would like to have the option to have it rather than not. Its not like I'm looking to upgrade my laptop in the next two years and if USB C does go main stream I don't want to be left behind because of the lack of it on my surface device.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure where I stand on the Surface Laptop missing USB type C. On one hand, Type C is the future, so it should have it, right? On the other hand, what do I have that needs type C? I currently have nothing to plug into the laptop that needs type C.... Maybe my 950... but it came with a USB to type /C cable anyway.

So I'm not sure where all the fuss is coming from???

Chris Knopff

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Type-C would have been a better option to get involved in. Though I expect it will come in the next version. The design choice is dating itself in that department.

Dreki8lier

May 20, 2017
Visit site
Honestly this what turned me off to the iPad pro 9.7 only supports USB 2.0 transfer speeds. My S8 has C and the transfers are real quick. Wish more companies would just bite the bullet and make this a reality. It's here, it's the new stanard... let's just do it already. Us video editing guys would sure appreciate it.

saintrobyn

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
This does not effect me at all. The Surface Laptop still has USB 3.0 just not the newer features of USB-C. At this point I do not care and by the time USB-C becomes commonplace I would probably need an upgrade over the first gen Surface Laptop.

kashgohel

Dec 16, 2015
Visit site
Doesn't bother me at all. I cant recall if I have seen a USB-C port yet in my country. So nah, am good. Its still a stunning laptop.

Prometheus2021

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Not for me. Not having a USB-C is a bit of a bummer, but I still have the other types of uSB cables at home, so it isn't a deal breaker. Hopefully the next iteration of the laptop comes with the type-c.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
At first, I was a bit surprised about the design choice, but then I remembered that on my Lumia 950XL, it's been nothing but an inconvenience so far. I can never borrow other people's chargers because USB-C isn't popular enough yet, and on my Surface Pro 3, I have all cables and adapters I would need to transition to a Surface Laptop if I chose to do that.

Besides, I still think USB-sticks are the best way to quickly transfer something between computers, and for most of them you still need, you guessed it, USB-A. I'd take USB-A over USB-C for the coming years, still, because USB-C is too immature. I know some people criticise MS for not "pushing the envelope" here when they've done it in other areas, but regarding how they've pushed the design choices for the Surface line is different than pushing an industry standard (USB-C) that's still very far off.

hey there, i agree with everything you said. i carry my own chargers because i cant borrow other people's chargers, and usb-a is still a strong candidate for accessories. my lumia 950 xl and nintendo switch have usb-c, but thats it. usb-a is fine for me right now, and as time goes on the standards for usb-c will improve like how usb 2.0 and 3.0 came up, so that and a greater amount of usb-c peripherals are when microsoft will introduce usb-c.

falcon304

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
For me personally, right now, no it doesn't. But with them wanting this thing to last four years, it should have at the very least had a second USB port that was Type C.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon