Is there any meaningful reason to choose 10S over 10 pro?

anon(9080801)

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
No.. If you are a student or connected to education then it is useful. Though it has a super fast reboot feature, it can not replace Pro. Because 10s can only run Windows Store apps.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, if you don't require Win32 apps that are not ported through Project Centennial and battery life is important to you (battery life on Surface Laptop is likely going to be worse if you upgrade it to Pro).

meattray

Surface Pro 4 Champion
Feb 15, 2017
Visit site
As stated above it will completely depend on what your usage is. Certain people don't require the features available in Pro or the apps persay and S will be perfect for them. I'd like to see more comparisons but it definitely appears this may be the future for Windows.

Josiah23

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
Windows 10 S is more-so meant for educational purposes or someone who doesn't rely on 3rd Party Apps at all, it limits the user to ONLY Installing store apps, meaning no Google Chrome and a lot others...
It's also a bit quicker since it runs a lot less service and it's a lot more secure.

You can although get the free upgrade with Windows 10 S devices to Windows 10 Pro for the rest of the year. So if anyone gets the Surface Laptop, I'd personally go for the Pro version.

Windows 10 Pro is fully unlocked, it is although "less secure" than W10S, but you will get freedom from the App Store.

Edited:
With Windows 10 S, it will stay "snappy" for a lot longer than the Pro version since there isn't anything much slowing it down. :p

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
It's secure, its apparently faster on some points and its cheaper licensing. Oh, and according to the demo, its easier to administer via a special tool.

That's probably about the sum. Mostly useful for students, certain corporations or government departments, libraries and the like. People with simple app needs.

Although I expect the store will grow with both "s" and "windows on arm", both via centennial bridge, and via true UWP, but you can't very well choose an OS based on its future prospects in the present. So basically you'd have to be happy with what they have already, office 365, Spotify, iTunes and more yet unknown centennial ports and new uwps (which may potentially not include ones you want, if you want more than what is known)

Photonsym

May 13, 2017
Visit site
I feel like if you look at it from the lower-end perspective, it seems ideal for low-powered, cheap laptops used for light productivity and media consumption. If microsoft makes it as seamless as chrome os, it could be amazing in that market.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I think the security features, better battery life, and quick reboots are enough for some students that just need a laptop for basic functionality. Especially for k-12. That's why I think the Surface Laptop was probably the wrong device to use for selling Windows 10 S (too expensive). But I'm sure Microsoft has some sort of plan.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
So, it's a Surface RT with better hardware?
Oh ya, the Surface RT Office lasts as long as the device does.

Last edited:

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
So, it's a Surface RT with better hardware?
Oh ya, the Surface RT Office lasts as long as the device does.

*RT can't run win32s/centennials.
*it wasn't optimised for speed.
*the app store was smaller back then.
*it ran on then quite a bit slower arm.
*It wasn't windows 10
*It couldn't upgrade to pro
*It couldn't be easily maintained via the new deployment tool

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I think the security features, better battery life, and quick reboots are enough for some students that just need a laptop for basic functionality. Especially for k-12. That's why I think the Surface Laptop was probably the wrong device to use for selling Windows 10 S (too expensive). But I'm sure Microsoft has some sort of plan.

The surface laptop is for MacBook users and university students, and surface fans who want a laptop.

The other OEMs have much cheaper devices, including a few sub 200.

TunedM52

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
Unless you are buying it for children to use or for use in schools, it's silly not to upgrade it to W10 Pro, especially since it's free till the end of the year.

I know this whole laptop reveal was supposed to supplement the reveal of W10S, but the focus on it is way too much.
It's not that hard of a concept to understand, has anyone not used the Window Store before? This is not new territory.

As an engineering student, if I were to purchase the surface laptop, I indeed would have to upgrade to full W10 for the Win32 applications that I require. But wait, it's a free upgrade! Wow, problem solved!

And if purchased after Dec '17, it's $50 to upgrade. $50.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hey there. i think keeping windows 10 as windows 10 s for everyone not dependent on lots of software is a good idea. my parents only use microsoft edge, but they download random things to the family computer because they sometimes fall into the telemarketer traps (like when a countdown tells them to do something before time runs out or they are the __________ user and won something) so at least with windows 10 s (after what ive read with running store-only apps) the risk of running executable files is small if not impossible.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
In short, nope.

However, it's worth trying if you're a light user and the value isn't in that it has more features, but that it has less. If you're a WC reader then it'll likely struggle to make a compelling case for you, but for an issue-prone user, it may be just the ticket like RT could've been with a higher degree of security while still maintaining much of the core PC functionality.

Last edited:

krs4444

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I hope for better security and manageability over "standard" Windows 10. You can feel it your Lumia phone. You have no choice, only Store apps. Apps are updating without issue (ok, not all of them), straightforward to search and install/remove, company can easily manage apps and 99% use only it's own sandbox.
My only concern is app availability - no apps no interest :-/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion