Can we work without Google services in Windows 10 S ?

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Every service that google does works in the browser (gmail, google maps, google drive etc). There's also a cool third party UWP app for gmail, gdocs, gdrive etc. There's several for youtube. Only dedicated apps you'll be missing is - chrome, google+, google maps (last two can be browsered, as can google search - but if your in the US, and some other specific countries like india, bing is actually good)

I also think if apple can put iTunes in the store, there's a chance google will also get over themselves.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
You can even attach gmail services though the email app built into Windows 10. This really shouldn't be a big deal unless you use lots of specialized google apps that aren't available on a browser.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
Every service that google does works in the browser (gmail, google maps, google drive etc). There's also a cool third party UWP app for gmail, gdocs, gdrive etc. There's several for youtube. Only dedicated apps you'll be missing is - chrome, google+, google maps (last two can be browsered, as can google search - but if your in the US, and some other specific countries like india, bing is actually good)
Are you referring to this? Kiwi for Gmail
I also think if apple can put iTunes in the store, there's a chance google will also get over themselves.
This. So much. God I wish these big companies would stop their measuring contests and do what's best for consumers for once. I'm so happy Microsoft is putting as much effort into doing so as they are now, it's making not only Windows, but iOS and Android better as well.

Noshaba Khatoon

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Oh no friend, for maps in India, Bing is terrible. It's antique! I live in a megacity and there has been numerous new construction work happening over the past 2-3 years. New roads, highways, flyovers, buildings, cafes, movies, malls etc. My own study centre is over 2 year old now but none of these are on Bing maps yet. But you'll find them on Google maps easily. That is why Google maps is more trusty than Bing maps at least in India. Even the contact information​ of existing hotels and cafes in Bing maps
Are dated. One of the key reason for this is that Google makes excellent use of local guides to add any new place or make correction. Bing maps did include a similar thing few months ago but it's good for nothing. I myself added five new places as soon as the feature was rolled out but they still haven't made it to the map yet. It's disappointing. Apart from places, Google also provides us with timetable of local trains and buses which again, as expected, isn't available in bing maps. But i still hear many people liking Bing, so may be in developed countries it's really good and dependable but here in India, definitely no.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Oh no friend, for maps in India, Bing is terrible. It's antique! I live in a megacity and there has been numerous new construction work happening over the past 2-3 years. New roads, highways, flyovers, buildings, cafes, movies, malls etc. My own study centre is over 2 year old now but none of these are on Bing maps yet. But you'll find them on Google maps easily. That is why Google maps is more trusty than Bing maps at least in India. Even the contact information​ of existing hotels and cafes in Bing maps
Are dated. One of the key reason for this is that Google makes excellent use of local guides to add any new place or make correction. Bing maps did include a similar thing few months ago but it's good for nothing. I myself added five new places as soon as the feature was rolled out but they still haven't made it to the map yet. It's disappointing. Apart from places, Google also provides us with timetable of local trains and buses which again, as expected, isn't available in bing maps. But i still hear many people liking Bing, so may be in developed countries it's really good and dependable but here in India, definitely no.

google maps runs as an html5 web app in edge browser.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Are you referring to this? Kiwi for Gmail

This. So much. God I wish these big companies would stop their measuring contests and do what's best for consumers for once. I'm so happy Microsoft is putting as much effort into doing so as they are now, it's making not only Windows, but iOS and Android better as well.

Yeah kiwi for gmail. It actually makes a good job of taking that mess that smartphone apps would be on a bigger screen, and turning it into a modern UWP experience. The pro version includes a variety of google services (not all of them, but between that and the browser web apps, your not missing anything)

As for google getting over themselves. My hope is that microsofts "open arms" policy to other platforms makes google and apple look so bad, that they follow suit. But if iTunes, Spotify and WhatsApp feel sufficiently threatened by windows s in schools, to get their
desktop apps across the centennial bridge, then google will port their iOS apps too via islandwood, if it has any wits about it.

It would certainly be nice to see apple and google start to act consumer centric, instead of "guarding" and keeping their customers in a box - ie competing on how good their products are, not how much they can supress their customers from being exposed to competitor products.

And I WILL NOT stop praising MS for being the first to do so.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Google+? That was the most unexpected answer������. For what purpose?

Google+ is a bit more civil than most social media. It has a strong representation for things like tech, science, academia. It's a good service to use for info that's a little more high brow, and in depth, than most social media goes (facebook is more mainstream full of memes and viral vids, twitter is basically like a celebrity rag).

If you like reading about advances in science, or more detailed stuff about tech, it can function as a pretty good "social news stream". The layout is also boss next to most social media (multiple colomns like a mag)

Of course there is some of the typical stuff in there, arguments, and memes, but because each collection is curated, and each group is moderated, its a more controlled environment than FB, twitter, youtube. Trolls get caught. Spammers usually get blocked.

Also I feel okay using that because its a niche product, still small, google hasn't monetized it yet (ie, unlike search, gmail, or maps, no ads)

For people in the tech business, programmers, scientists etc, kinda valuable.

Although I do use youtube too (there's no substaintive alternatives really), I just use an adblocker with it (adguard adblocker in edge does this, as does adblocker for youtube in chrome if you use chrome).

Mainly I don't like googles treatment of consumers much these days, so I refuse to make them money :p

I will miss google+ though if it ever gets monetized without an adblocker. I tire of the endless arguments and pettiness, as well as the low brow media on other social media platforms.

Noshaba Khatoon

May 9, 2017
Visit site
Whichever way it runs, how does it matter when basic use is not fulfilled? Yes bing map has app and is easier to use, but easier to use for what? To go where? Places that dont even exist yet in the bing map. I gave so many examples. Cosmetics is fine, but it has be useful and functional and that's more important.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Whichever way it runs, how does it matter when basic use is not fulfilled? Yes bing map has app and is easier to use, but easier to use for what? To go where? Places that dont even exist yet in the bing map. I gave so many examples. Cosmetics is fine, but it has be useful and functional and that's more important.

If you want to use google maps on windows s, you can, via the browser web app.

There is nothing in google services you cannot use. For most things you can use "kiwi for gmail", for the rest, you can use the edge browser.

The only thing you cannot is "default search". Which means if you want to use google's search, you'll need to put that in your book marks, or recent apps, and click, instead of typing it into the browser address bar.

That said I am told bing actually works well in india, as a search (it's hopeless in NZ).

If google was smart, they'd put the chrome browser in the store, so people could use that and therefor use their google search as default. Perhaps this is why MS has done this. Default browser is a lot less important than default search.

Personally I don't use bing or google, I use "duckduckgo". I'd use bing but it only works well in some countries.

But if "windows s" is not for you, use "windows pro". Problem solved!

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. the only google service i use is youtube, and mytube is a great app for that. so for me, yes i can work without google apps in windows 10 s.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As for google getting over themselves. My hope is that microsofts "open arms" policy to other platforms makes google and apple look so bad, that they follow suit. But if iTunes, Spotify and WhatsApp feel sufficiently threatened by windows s in schools, to get their
desktop apps across the centennial bridge, then google will port their iOS apps too via islandwood, if it has any wits about it.

I don't believe the issue is Google "getting over themselves", or Microsoft's "open arms" policy. FWIW, the only people that even notice are WP users, a rapidly dwindling number which is becoming less relevant all the time. It's not like Google is avoiding Microsoft. Google is all over Windows desktop.

Both companies are doing what most benefits their bottom lines. Switch places, and they would each do what the other is doing. They are both wise in what they're doing. They would be foolish not to. I may not like it, you may not like it, but this is reality.

Last edited:

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I boycotted Google a few years ago, around 2012. I used to be such a huge Google ******. I don't miss it at all. I don't even use google for searches. ever.

renan_ogliari

May 29, 2014
Visit site
It is entirely possible. I don't use Google services for a long time. Microsoft has great tools and services that are competent competitors to what Google offers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers