Will upgrading to Windows 10 pro be the first thing you do?

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Yes, if you have security concerns, want longer battery life and don't need Win32 apps that are not converted with project centennial.

cjdjskd

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
please i need help my lumia830 cant get latest windows10 it just got stuck at os version8.10.14157.200 every time i check for update i got ,my phone is up todate replies.

kaktus1389

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
please i need help my lumia830 cant get latest windows10 it just got stuck at os version8.10.14157.200 every time i check for update i got ,my phone is up todate replies.

You posted in wrong area, but that's fine. If you'd like to install Windows 10 Mobile, search the store for Upgrade Advisor app, that should let you upgrade your phone.

Christopher_He

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I would give Windows 10 S a try, even though I think it won't last long. I really like the idea of having everything brought to you through the store and most applications I use are available. But I don't think I will switch from Opera to Edge, maybe with the Fall Creators Update.
But I am really excited to see, if 10S really brings more secruity other than just preventing the user from installing any exe he can find.

Jeffery Holderness

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I would probably use it for a little bit. I would upgrade no matter what before the free download period stops in 2018. So at most I would only last 6 months. I think that was a bad decision from Microsoft. They should make Windows 10 S completely free to use and own and if you want to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro you pay for it. But it shouldn't come on any new PC's especially ones that cost 1000 bucks already.

anon(5415472)

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
In chronological order
1. check windows 10 s for a couple of minutes then upgrade immediately to pro.
2. make sure the license is migrated to my account and that it's activated
3. run diagnostics on memory, HDD, etc.
4. Install Visual Studio 2017, Unity, Arduino IDE, etc., then let it update for a day to install all necessary SDKs
5. Connect it with an Acer Mixed Reality Headset with motion controllers this FALL!!! and finally ditch all my monitors.

MizuNoHane

May 22, 2014
Visit site
If the battery and speed optimizations are confined to 10 S versus 10 Pro, I'd give it a really, really good try. I think eventually I'd hit a wall with the apps that are available in the store, but that's also the gamble Microsoft is making - that eventually all the apps we'll want will be in the Store and optimized for battery life, and that is kind of what I want. VLC, iTunes, Spotify, Office....basically if I could get Google's apps, Affinity Photo and Megasync in there I'd be set.

TheFlyingDutchBros

May 16, 2017
Visit site
No, because Windows 10 S is in a way the future of Windows. Microsoft is moving (albeit slowly) away from Win32 as an application platform and betting big on UWP and their vision of developing applications once for multiple form factors (and with Fluent Design, multiple interfaces). Despite people's complaints that the Windows Store has too few apps, it is steadily growing as more companies get with the program and slowly convert their applications to UWP via the Desktop Bridge. There are too many benefits to this for me to list here, but WC has several editorials discussing the benefits so I recommend you look those up.

SpaciousZebra

May 16, 2017
Visit site
I think I'll give Windows 10 S a shot first. Two weeks in or so, if I've found that it's really impeding my online experience, I'll probably make the switch.

My guess is that if Windows 10 S turns into a big problem, Microsoft scraps their plan for the free upgrade expiration date and allows the general public to upgrade for free no matter what. S might be best for primary educational institutions, anyways.

Stig

Jan 24, 2004
Visit site
Like most people here, I have desktop apps I need to use daily. W10 Pro is a must for the foreseeable future.

k1s23

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hello. as much as i want to keep windows 10 s in the surface laptop, i unfortunately need one program for work that is a win32 application. therefore, yes, the first thing i will do is change over to windows 10 pro. i emailed the company in charge of developing/maintaining the application and they told me that the application wont be offered in the windows store as a uwp app. :(

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Nah, I'd probably use it for a week, see what the new OS is like.

Maybe even do some timer tests so I can benchmark it.

I'd probably also try and see the most I can make of the store alone (I use it, but not exclusively), see what that's like.

Then I'd probably update to pro (It'll be awhile before all my apps come the store - and I'll use them preferentially over win32's if they do anyway - if there's a uwp option, I'll choose it)

Adam Gierscher

May 21, 2015
Visit site
Every time I want an app I always check the Store first, because of the sandboxing of UWP apps. But if it's not there then I do go online and get it. Therefore I'd update to Pro.

What I would like to see is an option in Pro/Home to lockdown to the Windows Store, as I am the family IT guy and have to fix everything that goes wrong.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess it would depend. There are some things I'm not so sure about... like drivers. What if a device you have just doesn't have drivers stored on the MS servers? Can you install device drivers downloaded from the internet?

And I would think I would upgrade to pro pretty quickly. Even my 75 year old tech-noob dad would upgrade right away, just because he watches Korean dramas on a non-store program you gotta install yourself. And I doubt it will ever come to the store, because I know it's crammed full of spyware and crap like that. But he uses it on a crap computer and doesn't care if it gets infected.

gnome920

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I would be leaving this at Win 10S for a couple of reasons. First to see how that develops over the near future (next year or so) and second because I get tagged as a "Windows Guru" by several friends and family and I'd like to see if Win 10S is a viable solution for their needs (I already have a very good Win 10 Pro laptop - a HP Spectre X360 (2016) with i7 Kaby Lake, 16gb RAM and 512 GB SSD to meet my higher end needs).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss